BRICKED while trying to root. :(

redwoodcephalopod

Reaction score
Hi, I recognize this is my first thread-- sorry if it's in the wrong area.

Tonight I decided I wanted to root my Droid 1. I had the latest version of Froyo running-- totally stock-- and decided to follow the downgrade-to-root instructions posted here, which was linked in this post by the dev of Easyroot on how to do the downgrade root bit. I'm on a Mac but ran my windows emulation via Parallels and used RSDlite to install [mbm]'s hacked SBF file. This seemingly worked; the progress hit 100%, then the phone rebooted and...

and nothing really worked. The phone would sketchily go to the home screen, but quickly it would give me some error about how the system wasn't working. It doesn't take a charge (whether plugged into my Macbook, or the wall), the LED is red, and neither OS X nor the slimmed-down version of Windows (it's not totally legit, so I'll let you guess as to what version I'm talking about ;) ) would recognize the phone being connected via the USB cable-- the only way to do anything was with RSDlite.

I freaked, decided I could live with losing data since I only had a few paid apps anyway, and went to the bootloader. It WAS, in fact, the [mbm] custom, but even after I wiped the phone, stuff doesn't change.

I found the "Unbrick your Droid" JPEG method on this forum through a Google search-- it doesn't work on my...err...small version of Windows because of a lack of .NET functionality (tried to update it, still got the runtime error). Going to try it on my work laptop tomorrow, but for now-- can anyone help me? I would be eternally grateful. Thanks so much in advance.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
This is a known issue , Macbooks really hate Droids and they try to sabotage them anyway they can . Don't you have a friend that can let you use his PC for 10 minutes ? Just install the Moto drivers , start RSDLite and flash the SBF .

OP
R

redwoodcephalopod

Reaction score
Thanks! Unfortunately, my battery is now so outta juice that it can't do the bootloader: "Battery Low-- cannot program."

It won't take a charge. What should I do? And if I can get it charged, where do I find the legit SBF? Freakin' here... :(

Thanks for your help, sir.

OP
R

redwoodcephalopod

Reaction score
I am in no way an expert on rooting your droid or hacking anything but it seems unnecessary to me to downgrade your OS before rooting. I just rooted my droid1 with this set of instructions and it worked great .http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html

Sam

I wanted to do the one-click root dealy, which doesn't work with the FRG22D update (which I had). I was trying to get back to the first 2.2 version for the Droid 1 so I could do the one-click root via Androot or Easyroot.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1st, plug it into a wall charger and let it charge overnight. If still no charge, you will have to borrow a battery from someone for 10 min or find a battery only charger, or a new battery

Then when you have a good charge:

Root your phone without your computer - This would be the path someone on a Mac could take.

Visit the market and get the free Android Terminal Emulator installed.

Grab these 3 files with your phone. They should end up in /sdcard/download

• Visit this website: RS-Files
  • Look in the rootfiles folder
  • Use your phone to download rageinthecage-arm5.bin, superuser.apk, and su from that folder. (These same 3 files are provided for within the above Droid.co_Downloader.exe file.)

What are we going to do?
Steps 1- 5: Change to the /tmp folder on your phone, copy the file to the tmp directory, change its permissions. run it, and wait.

Step 6: make sure we can proceed

Steps 7 - 14: make system read-writable, copy the superuser. su and busybox files to where they need to go, use chmode to change their permissions, then make the system folder read-only, and exit Terminal Emulator.

If you want to know more about the commands being used here: cd, cp, chmod, mount, and exit are all Linux commands you can look up on your favorite search engine.

Okay, let's do it - type the blue parts in Terminal Emulator

1. cd /tmp
  2. cp /sdcard/rage*.bin /tmp/
  3. chmod 777 rage*.bin
  4. ./rage*.bin
    This will take some time, just wait for the $ to show up so you know it is done.
  5. Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Terminal Emulator > and Force Stop the application
  6. Sanity check - Go into Terminal Emulaor again and make sure you have a # symbol as a prompt. If so you are ready to proceed.
  7. mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
  8. cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
  9. cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su
  10. cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox
  11. chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
  12. chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
  13. mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
  14. exit
You should now probably download the free version of Rom Manager and flash Clockwork or SPRecovery, then make a backup.

OP
R

redwoodcephalopod

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response! I'll have to start with the power bit-- I sincerely doubt there's a possibility of it detecting and getting power from the wall charger. I tried this all last night to no avail, so I don't see how that could suddenly change.

As for a new battery-- would a Verizon mall kiosk carry those? I know the Droid 2 uses the same battery (right?). I'm about to call the closest one, otherwise it looks like it's eBay time and I'll be phoneless for a couple of days :-/

OP
R

redwoodcephalopod

Reaction score
This is a known issue , Macbooks really hate Droids and they try to sabotage them anyway they can . Don't you have a friend that can let you use his PC for 10 minutes ? Just install the Moto drivers , start RSDLite and flash the SBF .

Where can I finda legit 2.2 SBF?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here you go:

FRG01B

After flashing with RSD use the instructions I gave to root.

Verizon store should have a battery.

OP
R

redwoodcephalopod

Reaction score
Found it elsewhere, phone mostly restored datawaise, and is running FRG01B. Thanks everyone.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
I got one a couple weeks back, in free Verizon text form, and I'm like -- um, what now? I've been on FRG22D for like a month... :D

Glad you got it working!

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad you got everything working, Redwood. I have a Mac Book Pro and it plays very nicely with my rooted Droid. I did, however, root prior to the new methodologies. Sadly, MOTO will not release SBF drivers for Mac. Since you used Parallels with Windows there is no feasible reason that the drivers would not have worked.

For future reference, here are two current links

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/80080-much-simpler-guide-rooting-no-pc-required.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...r-guide-root-your-droid-2-a-6.html#post783735
that members who use Mac's have used to root their phone. It is very similar to how I rooted.

Mike

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've been rooted since March and have NEVER received an OTA. Never! Most of the time I am using a Rom with the most recent build.