1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

BRICKED! Tried to restore back to my Bugless Beast using rom manger...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Jonny Kansas, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Premium Member

Hello there! Somehow, I f***ed up...

Here's the tale...

I downloaded ROM Manager from the market so I could try out CyanogenMod. Simple, right? I successfully flashed the special recover needed for Rom Manager to do its thing, and I backed up my current setup of Bugless Beast .08 using Rom Manager.

I downloaded and installed CyanogenMod to check it out, but decided, though it's a very nice rom, I liked my current setup and didn't feel like trying to recreate it or make it better.

So, I decided to use Rom Manager to return to my setup of BB. No problem, right? WRONG!!!!

Upon the automatic reboot, my Droid was stuck at the M logo for apporixmately 20 minutes. So...I thought...silly me...I wiped the phone to install CyanogenMod, but wasn't offered the option to do that to return to BB...So I wiped it via Clockwork Recovery (or whatever it's called, forgive me if I messed it up!) and went to restore BB...

Well, I'm staring the ugly M logo in the face again and have been doing so for probably about 20 minutes again...

So...

WTF went wrong? What'd I do, or what's the issue with switching back to a backup created by Rom Manager, and wtf can I do to fix it?

Any help is OBVIOUSLY greatly appreciated!!!!
  2. LtKen

LtKen New Member

At this point, if I were you, I'd scrap it and do an SBF restore. Someone else had a problem with ROM Manager awhile back, and my honest opinion is that it's related to SPRecovery and ClockworkMod Recovery not playing nicely together.
  3. Kaiken

Kaiken New Member

Exact same thing happened to me.if you can still get in recovery, your safe. Install Cyanogen again and see if you boot back up. Don't forget to wipe again. Once booted, reflash sprecovery, wipe and restore an older bb, one that was created by sprecovery and your back in business.
  4. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Wait a second are you on clockwork recovery or sprecovery right now? Can you get into recovery?
  5. Jonny Kansas

Thanks for the quick responses! I CAN still get into recovery, but I can't figure out where cyanogenmod is to reinstall it...

I used rom manager and, of course, it did all the work for me...but does that mean that it didn't saved the install files to my sd, or am I just missing them?

If the files I need for install aren't on the sd for some reason, since I can mount in recovery, is it possible for me to download them manually and load them onto the sd and go that way?

I was incredibly stupid and didn't backup the cyanogenmod rom after I installed it...lol...I think I can laugh at that...at least at this point...
  6. Jonny Kansas

clockwork recovery...If I was in sp, I'd have a better idea of what to do...lol

I'll just wait here in recover 'til I figure out the game plan...
  7. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

8. thebowers

Can you mount to usb mass storage?
  9. Kaiken

Kaiken New Member

Are you sure you didn't download that zip from cyanogen's site? That's what I used and installed using clockmod recovery. If you did dl the zip go to install zip from cm recovery. Gotta browse for the zip though.
  10. Jonny Kansas

Thanks for the help guys! Can't tell you how I appreciate it!

I can click mount usb storage, but it just brings me back to the main screen and nothing pops up on the pc. Do I need to mount EVERYTHING in clockwork, or just Mount USB storage?
  11. Jonny Kansas

Nope, I just clicked download rom while in rom manager...and it downloaded it, but as I'm browsing the sd in cockwork recovery, I can't find anything that appears to be cyanogen related....

If it's a matter of mounting in recovery and putting that file on and installing and then back-tracking from there, I'm all for that...
  12. Jonny Kansas

Ok...I can mount everything BUT USB mass storage...when it takes me back to the main menu, and I go in again to select partitions to mount, usb mass storage still has the option to mount instead of unmount...
  13. thebowers

Let me see what mine does when I try to mount usb mass storage.
  14. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

I would re-install the fresh ROM, downloading it from the net and putting it on your sdcard then installing it from clockwork. I had to do this myself actually because clockwork was totally lame on me. I had 1.4.x version of clockwork, saw a new version was out while tinkering with CM. I updated, and apparently all of my old backups I made with 1.4 didn't work with 1.6.x My phone was bootlooping as well, because I was an idiot and was messing around in the framework.

My solution, plop the file on the SD card and re-install CM. Soon as I got back into CM, flashed sprecovery. And left CM. Nothing against CM, but clockwork seemed problematic. Last thing I need is a buggy recovery system (*glares at RSDLite* hehe).....but that is getting away from the point.

Edit, if mounting doesn't work there is always adb push.
  15. Jonny Kansas

Much appreciated.
  16. Modulus

Modulus New Member

Not bricked.
  17. Modulus

Modulus New Member

Also, remove spaces from filenames.
  18. loop4zil

loop4zil New Member

This is intense stuff! I am rooting for you Johnny (no pun intended). And I am staying away from Clockwork
  19. Jonny Kansas

:motdroidvert:
    ooooo! I didn't even think about adb push! How silly am I!! I'd just adb push it to /sdcard/, right?
  20. Kaiken

Kaiken New Member

There's ways to copy files over using adb. Hopefully someone here can help you with that. I'd suggest reflashing sprecovery using adb but not sure how well that works while your currently in recovery. Keep tight, as long as your in a recovery there an answer somewhere. If you haven't resolved your issue before I get home in a couple hours, I'll dig up alternative solutions for ya.
Search tags for this page

optimus s rom