Bricked/Stuck at boot animation after attempting to make status bar black...

Mr X

Reaction score
Last night I tried skinning my status bar to black using this method. It was late, I was tired, and did not see that you need to be de-odexed to apply this theme. Needless to say, I'm now screwed. It won't boot past the DROID screen. So... what do I do? I tried booting without the SD card but haven't tried anything else. Do/could I just do the power+home key and clear the cache? Is there any easy fix to this where I can salvage anything from the phone? I'm guessing I need to use the SBF, but I've never done that before so I'm looking for that guide. I'm running the official 2.2 OTA and I had rooted it. Could anybody please point me in the right direction?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let's get you to where you might get some help.

I couldn't help but notice in the directions on the page you linked it said:

Warning if you do not know what you are doing DO NOT try this. You will be stuck in a boot loop.
If you do know how to do this Enjoy It is normal for the phone to go black after you copy the statusbar. Continue to copy or enter the rest of the code and reboot your phone.

Are you capable of booting into recovery? If you are then do a wipe of both data and cache.

Also here is the guide to the SBF http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/39254-sbf-root-unroot.html. I'll move you to the Rescue squad too.

OP
Mr X

Mr X

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your quick response. Posted elsewhere but nothing. Alright, so what I did now is hold the up/down volume buttons and powered the phone on. I'm now at a screen that says:

BootLoader

Battery OK
OK to Program
Connect USB
Data Cable

From here, would I download the SBF file, install and run RSDlite, plug the USB into the phone and flash to that SBF file?

OP
Mr X

Mr X

Reaction score
OK I got into Recovery, I see what you mean now - power button + home key. I did a wipe of the cache and data/factory reset and then rebooted and just got to a black screen. Then eventually back to that glitched boot animation of just flashing DROID, like it normally does right before going to the big red eye, but it just keep looping like that.

What do I do from here? The steps from my last post?

mkkuntz8

Reaction score
im having the same problem, stuck on the "DROID" animation. any help?

BalistikBill

Reaction score
Boot into recovery and wipe te data and cache should work. Did you just flash the sbf? To boot into recovery hold the home button and power you'll get a! Then hit the search button.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

mkkuntz8

Reaction score
Boot into recovery and wipe te data and cache should work. Did you just flash the sbf? To boot into recovery hold the home button and power you'll get a! Then hit the search button.

I tried doing that multple times and it didnt work

BalistikBill

Reaction score

I tried doing that multple times and it didnt work

What SBF did you download? the_gift or the_gift 2? You have to download the gift_2 if you rooted off the OTA 2.2.

psychotic_penguin

Reaction score
You're gonna need the proper programs. RSD Lite 4.8 and whichever SBF 2.1 or 2.2 accordingly to what system version you're running to start, along with all the drivers.

If you're on the 2.2 OTA and you use the 2.1 SBF you're gonna have trouble, make sure you do a bit of research, it'll save you in the long run. To be safe make sure you have a good charge on your battery.

If you are not familiar on how to use RSDLite here is a brief overview

Method 1: While phone is on
Switch your device to PC mode
Turn on debugging mode (settings>applications>development>debugging mode)
Launch RSDLite (make sure device appears in window)
Select SBF
Start
Device will switch to bootloader and begin the flashing process and will reboot when it is complete.

Method 2: While phone is off
To manually put your device in bootloader mode:
Turn off device
press and hold the up and down volume buttons
power on device (continue to hold the up and down volume buttons)
wala - you are in bootloader mode
Launch RSDLite (make sure device appears in window)
Select SBF
Start

Last edited:

mkkuntz8

Reaction score
ok thanks. i went through that but didn't realize my battery was low and when i went back to by computer it went to the screen:

Bootloader
D2.37
Err:A5,70,70,00,1F

MEM_MAP Blank
Service Req'd
Battery Low
Cannot Program

It wont charge now if I plug it into the computer or the wall so I need to find a way to get the battery charged. If i took it to verizon would they help or at least charge the battery? or will i need to find another droid to charge it with