1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Bricked phone?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by fichdak, May 15, 2010.

1. fichdak

fichdak New Member

Hey guys. I was using my Droid and dropped it.. whoops. It was frozen so I popped out the battery and restarted it and the Motorola "M" splash screen was sort of off to the side and there was a bunch of rainbow-y pixels in the bottom right corner. (see image) and it won't boot.

[​IMG]

Holding the x button and the power button doesn't start up clockwork recovery like it should...

So as far as I know, there's nothing I can do other than restore it with an sbf file (unless it's a hardware problem)

Does anyone have any suggestions? All I really want to do is back it up before trying to restore it or bring it to VZW. Is there any kind of safe mode or way to do something through ADB or am I sh** out of luck?

Thanks, and sorry if this is in the wrong section
  2. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Ouch......
  3. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

I say take it in if thats under warrenty or have insurance. They will either flash the .sbf and it won't work, or they'll figure out it's a hardware problem and replace it. Either way you will most likely get a new phone. I wouldn't do the .sbf as you may be stuck with a fresh phone and it slid over to the side, which IMO would give them the suspicion that you have previously tampered with your phone before you dropped it, so you tried to flash the .sbf to fix it.
  4. mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83 New Member

Trying running commands via usb debugging maybe?
  5. iPirate

iPirate New Member

I am going to go with hardware error. Dropping it couldn't alter the software to offset the M from the middle but faulty hardware could...

What did you drop it from? 747 mid flight?
  6. mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83 New Member

lololololol I dropped mine twice since I've gotten it and neither time its done anything at all, this thing is a tank
  7. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

I've dropped mine down a flight of stairs and it landed on the hardwood floor at the bottom. Not a scratch!
  8. mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83 New Member

very nice. I unfortunately did get one tiny scratch on my phone, but it was because of keys in pocket with it. Never make that mistake again.
  9. jgumphress

jgumphress New Member

You would think that when we got older we wouldn't drop our toys any more. But I guess we never grow out of that. I've dropped mine twice now but both times it was on the carpet at home with no damage.
  10. fichdak

fichdak New Member

It was only like a 3 foot drop which makes it suck even worse haha.

Hm, I'm using ADB pull to get everything off the phone. First it said error no device found, then it warned that some of it might be corrupt, but now it seems to be working... I'll fill you in when it's done dancedroid

EDIT: any way I can do a nandroid backup or something similar through ADB or am I best just pulling /data and /system to my hard drive?
  11. mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83 New Member

Even if you can retrieve your info, you do know that you'll have to return it to stock before you bring it in if you want to use a warranty? As long as your comp is recognizing the phone that shouldn't be an issue. ;) keep us posted, and good luck
  12. fichdak

fichdak New Member

Well I didn't even bother reverting to stock because I figured they'd never know if the phone didn't even turn on...

Went to Verizon today and guess what!

As soon as I got there and turned on the phone to show to service guy, the logo was back to the middle of the screen, and the phone booted up just fine. I swear, I must've rebooted it a million times over the past 24 hours and that's the first time it worked.

Oh well, at least the phone works :p
  13. mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83 New Member

lol dodged a bullet there didn't ya? Too funny... Good thing the verizon guy didn't boot it up for you, bye bye warranty.
Search tags for this page

bricked phone dropping

dropping android phone bricking