Bricked phone recovered with boot loader

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by sos567656765, Jan 18, 2010.

1. freemenot

freemenot New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nope, they released the source code, nothing says they have to release the binaries. Its like Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
  2. jinx10000

jinx10000 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wish a fed up Verizon employee would hurry up and throw it up on the internet.

If it is available it almost has to happen sooner or later. Doesn't sound like security is tight when you can just sneak a peak at how they are doing it. LOL.
  3. freemenot

freemenot New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it can't be long. That is what must of happened before with the old razr roms that circulated the internet. I think there is some motorola tech site that has all the information, roms and ramloaders, but only authorized dealers have access to it.
  4. mikes

mikes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Android OS is open source. A full "ROM" image has much more than just the OS. The apps aren't necessarily, and I assume there's some low level phone stuff which isn't, either (to make ESN/MEID fraud harder).

Of course, significant portions of the OS are copyright Google, so they can do whatever they want with their code, including not releasing newer versions as open source.

Finally, Android is licensed under the Apache 2.0 license, which allows use of code in closed commercial products. It basically says that any use must be attributed, but here is no requirement that anyone using the code release their source, or freely release the binaries.
  5. sos567656765

sos567656765 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Still havent had any luck finding it :( But its still a daily search.

Anyone know how the file names are formatted? i think that information would help greatly in finding it.
  6. wil318466

wil318466 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So are you the first person to truly brick your phone? you might be famous now.

BTW - doing a "wipe all" was.. uhh....

-Wil
  7. sos567656765

sos567656765 Member

Ratings:
    +0

HA yeah you dont need to tell me that. like i said was a typo but still did it :(
    Just REALLY glad vzw was able to flash it.
  8. freemenot

freemenot New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, and if they are able to flash it, we should also :).
  9. miamidroid

miamidroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    so wipe all even removes the recovery?
  10. BoxcuttaStyle

BoxcuttaStyle Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think this all sounds great. If we can make it impossible that really opens up our ability to 'explore' different options more aggressively without any worry.

I do think it's important to distinguish the difference between doing this via adb and doing this via the SPRecovery. I did the wipe/factory reset option in recovery to see what happened when returning to stock the first time. In my experience it did wipe any 'added' data but left everything else. Basically it was completely back to an 'out of box' state. I had to start up the phone again as if it was the first time. I even had to reprogram it via Verizon's automated dial-in.

I'm not sure any of that is important but I didn't want people to be confused by the differences of the two.

Good luck on your search and thanks for the heads up when using adb :icon_eek:.
  11. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    One question... How do you ACCIDENTALY type all instead of data? very confused... those are NOWHERE near each other.... drunk perhaps? lol
  12. LrdElderon

LrdElderon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps I'm the only one that seems to see this differently. he DID NOT BRICK his phone. he wiped it but if his phone turned on at all period it is not bricked. The fact that it was functional enough to turn on and be accessed to re flash or whatever proves it.

If his phone whether it had a battery or was plugged into the wall did not turn on, no lcd, no moto M.. nothing.. that's a brick. It's called a brick for a reason, because it's completely dead and nonfunctional. aka throw it in the garbage dead.

sorry for the little rant, perhaps people view bricked differently. He did do quite a number on that phone no doubt, but it was still functional and repairable.
  13. jinx10000

jinx10000 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I view a brick as a phone that is useless as other than a paper weight. A phone flashlight falls in the same category for me.
    It was useless to him until Motorola fixed it. Therefore, it was as useful as a brick to him until Motorola fixed it.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  14. LrdElderon

LrdElderon Member

Ratings:
    +0

If I formatted my computers hard drive, a non computer techie would say it was "bricked" that doesn't make it so. He said his device was functional and able to be restored. To me it means it wasn't bricked, he just didn't know how to fix it himself.

I view it the same as if someone tried installing a new and failed and couldn't boot the phone up all the way and didn't know what to do. The phone isn't bricked it just needs to be restored using a recovery program like sprecovery or whatever.

he REALLY f'd his phone up though so yeah that's a toughy, but if the phone works it wasn't bricked in my opinion. Even if it did take verizon to reflash his phone

Edit: Ok you changed your post I quoted after I posted. And that exactly proves my point though. It was bricked "to him" because he didn't know what to do, the device itself was not Bricked... if that makes sense to anyone.

honestly people can view it anyway they want to I don't care, I'm happy he got his phone working
  15. miamidroid

miamidroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ??

anyone .
Search tags for this page
access droid flash disk through boot loader
bootloader
droid boot loading no image
factory reset motorola cliq and it bricked
fix bricked motorola cliq 2