Bricked my D2g and why I love Verizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfactorx

Reaction score
I tried reinstalling the bloatware to my phone so I could get the update but of course I was stupid and tried erasing the app folder cuz pasting over wasn't working. The phone stopped working and entered bootloop. Then I read on these forums that sometimes they take the phone back when you are in your first 30 days.

I show up at Verizon and they tell me to go down the street to a corporate store. When I finally got to the corporate store they just looked at my phone, tried to fix it and then just gave me a new one. WOOT! I was worried cuz rooting voids warranty but thanks Verizon for helping me out.

Also, MOTOROLA WE NEED THE SBF for Droid 2 GLOBAL AND STOP LOCKING DOWN youR PHONES!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
While this might be good news for you, I see it differently

When you try to Hack your Device without knowing exactly what you are getting yourself into and "Brick it" this is something you are responsible for - when you bring it to VZW and lie about what it was that really happened to get a new device to make up for your inability to take full responsibility for your actions all you really do is drive up the prices for the rest of the Community

...don't be surprised if this thread doesn't gain the recognition that you think it should - as their is nothing respectable about it IMO

OP
patfactorx

patfactorx

Reaction score
I've had my Droid 1 for a year and have been flashing roms for awhile now. I've also been playing with computer hardware for bout 15 years now. Everyone makes mistakes with this stuff and I didn't lie about what happened. I was in my first 30 days and they did what good customer service should do.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I really hate to be that way but that's not what good customer service should be. Companies shouldn't have to reeplace the things you knowingly damaged. I would feel diferently if you had done an insurance replacement on it and payed a deductible because that's something they don't really care about, at least afaik.

tappin and a talkin

Detonation

Reaction score
You do realize that you're possibly at risk of getting charged for the new phone right? When Verizon receives a warranty replaced phone, they check that it wasn't physically abused, water damaged, or tampered with to make sure its an actual defect and not something like what you did.

This is why when people brick their phones or damage it so they can't unroot it (ex broken screen), they report it lost or stolen rather than turn it back in...

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Also (I believe) a lot of the reason we have locked bootloaders now. If you brick your phone, take responsibility for your actions.
Not to get off on a rant but, you can't imagine how many times a day I get yelled at because I won't replace a customer's phone that THEY messed up and can't wait a day for Asurion to ship them a replacement. Not MINE/VERIZON'S fault you _____ to your phone. Just saying.
The blank is just a blank, not dodging the language filter btw.

DroidForums junkie!!

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is why when people brick their phones or damage it so they can't unroot it (ex broken screen), they report it lost or stolen rather than turn it back in...
VZW will not replace a device that is lost or stolen - Therefore, this can only be done in the situation involving an Insurance Claim and would be still considered Fraud and push the prices up for everybody involved -

Sal R.

Reaction score
Everyone makes mistakes with this stuff and I didn't lie about what happened. I was in my first 30 days and they did what good customer service should do.

I bet you didn't point out to the rep the fact that you rooted your phone and deleted the apps folder either. That that was the cause of bricked phone.

So, yeah, technically, you didn't lie, but I'm betting you weren't truthful about it either.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well you could look at it like this; you basically pay them a subscription & they're getting your $90 deductible to unbrick your Droid. That's not a bad deal for either party. If it was they would stop covering the phones with unlocked bootloaders.

Can we please not act like the poor insurance companies are barely getting by? They normally raise rates to raise profits & expand revenue because they know they are one of the only places you can go. It's not like any mom & pop business can be an insurance company. If anything the people who accidentally smash their screens or physically damage their set cost Assurion more to fix.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
I personally don't care to root my phone but I'm glad others have chosen to tinker around so much because that's the only way to make progress with official phones and Android versions. One thing I do notice however when perusing the forums is just how many threads there are where rooted users have screwed the pooch. Again, experimentation is good but it is not without its downfalls, however your carrier shouldn't be responsible for the negative results of your experimentation. Just sayin...

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
Might as well throw in the fact that neither side is perfect. I had one of those weird LG vx9400's. I broke it 4 or 5 times & they finally gave me a different model, a chocolate..... I broke it a few months later & when I called to place a claim I was informed I had been dropped by Assurion for 1 year...... which was fine other than the fact I was still being billed every month. Long story short Verizon said Assurion owed me a refund & Assurion said Verizon should have stopped billing me & so I got no refund & a broke LG chocolate.

BigZig

Reaction score
To the OP don't be mad when 600 extra dollars shows up on you bill for the price of the phone when VZW unbricks it and finds you rooted it and voided your warranty the next thread topic for you is going to be "VZW is B.S. and charged me 600". Haha can't wait for that

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I was worried cuz rooting voids warranty but thanks Verizon for helping me out.
Allow me to put my HOLIER-THAN-THOU hat on, for just a moment. :soapbox:

I think that last statement spells it out:

- "I was worried" means "I was 100% aware that I 'broke' my phone, and I hoped they wouldn't figure it out," and
- "Thanks Verizon" means "I'm relieved I got away with it."

OK, now REMOVING HAT.

Confession: I once bought an MP3 player from BestBuy and then noticed that Walmart had them for $20 more. So before opening it I took it to Walmart and tried to return it...I was more than happy to receive a store credit. They had it listed online, but not in the store, and refused to accept it. I was like "But my Dad lives in LA and he bought it for me!" Pretty weak stuff, and of course they saw right through me. :icon_eek:

Guys, the OP's story is not even close to the line between right and wrong. No way to rationalize this one. You mess with your phone, it's YOUR RESPONSIBILITY. Doesn't make it right that another party (Verizon, Asurion, etc.) is evil and corrupt.

Ooops, looks like the HOLY hat is back on... :icon_ banana:

-Matt

Iowa

Reaction score
I have heard of people getting billed before after they did this kind of thing. Karma will catch up to you.

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have heard of people getting billed before after they did this kind of thing. Karma will catch up to you.

I don't know whether or not he gets billed but I know it won't have a thing to do with an imaginary thing called karma. I might have done the same thing as the OP (although I'd unroot it first) & not lose a wink of sleep. Know why? Because everything isn't black & white or absolute. Sometimes people get screwed & sometimes businesses get shafted.

I've never done this with my phone but you better believe I shafted Microsoft on 360's. Was it the right thing to do? In my opinion & in the view of millions of others, yes. Was it ethical? Not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.