Bricked Droid help, may be unsolvable hardware problem

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Jav, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Jav

Jav New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys. I've been struggling with a Droid issue. I think the Droid has a hardware problem and will need to be sent back via warranty, but that's gonna cost some $ so I thought I'd check with some experts first.

The background... I have a droid that I have rooted and runs SPRecovery. So I've played around a little bit with RSD Lite and such.

My friend has a droid that was completely stock FR22 via OTA updates. His droid was left on a carseat with a leaking bottle of water. The droid did not get soaked, but it got wet enough that the water indicator sensor is now red.

The droid only boots into the Bootloader 2C.6C screen, but will not boot past that screen (regardless of whether the D pad is pressed up or not). If I try to recover by flashing a stock 2.0.1 sbf file the flash stays at 99% and then fails with an error switching phone to BP passthrough mode. I've tried about 20 times and always get the same error. The phone will still only boot to the 2C.6C screen.

I tried flashing SPRecovery onto the phone and that succeeds. I can then boot into SPRecovery instead of the stock recovery software by pressing X when I boot the phone. I've tried putting various update.zip files (stock ones) onto the SDCard and loading them that way, and the process always says it succeeds but when I reboot the phone it will still not get past the 2C.6C screen (no red eye or such).

My guess is that the onboard flash may be bad in the O/S section but not the bootloader sections... But I thought I would ask if anyone has any other suggestions before I give up... I'm also hoping that as long as I put the normal recovery software on the phone prior to returning it that it should be fine. I would hate to have messed up his warranty after the phone was already trashed!

Thanks for any thoughts!

2. thatguychuck

thatguychuck Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You say the update.zip files were stock? Not all of those are complete ROM's, just the necessary updated files. If it were me, I would try to load a complete ROM from an update.zip, or try a different sbf file (many versions are out there.) This may not be the answer, but it's what I would try. It is possible that it's a hardware issue now, but still worth a shot.

3. zpocbob

zpocbob New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the exact problem as the op, except mine did not get wet. I can flash recovery, install roms, but it goes back to bootloader every time i is turned on.

Tried Flashing
    FRG22D.sbf
    moto-droid2.01stock.sbf
    VZW_A855_ESD56_QSC6085BP_C_01.3E.01P_SW_UPDATE_03.sbf
    SPRecovery_ESE81.sbf

HELP! This phone is not under warranty, or insurance.

4. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Any chance you people might have faulty d-pads, where the contact for "D-pad Up" is stuck? That would make it go to the bootloader everytime.

5. zpocbob

zpocbob New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any ideas how I can test to see if that button is stuck?

With SP Recovery I can hold the power and X and enter that menu.

6. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Current Phone Model:
    Motorola XT1103 (Nexus 6)
    Then the d-pad button is not stuck.

If you are having trouble, then first thing to try is doing a factory data reset, which will wipe/format your /data and /cache partitions on the phone; all of which you can do while booted into the SPRecovery menu which you have stated you can access.

If you don't quite understand this process or how to do it, a tiny bit of reading will get you there and once it's done, I am almost sure that will cure your problems.

good luck

7. zpocbob

zpocbob New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have done a lot of research, here and google. I have cleared cache, attempted flashing, like my first post reads. I have gone though the menus that I can get to and none of the involve the up button. So how can I test the up button, or solve my flashing issue.

8. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Current Phone Model:
    I am sorry if my post sounded wrong. But if you can boot into your recovery system, then I believe your up button is not stuck.

If all it will do is boot into bootloader when you try to boot normally, does it show a good battery charge? I _think_ sometimes pulling the battery for a few seconds _might_ fix your problem.

My only other solutions are to try what you say you've already tried and that is to use RSD Lite to flash the latest FRG22D.sbf file to your phone; or try a warranty replacement which you say you cannot do. AFAIK though, all droids bought new still have until at least November 6, 2010 until the factory warranty runs out.

good luck

9. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is the same thing that happened to my first droid. It would error out on either that or loading ram for bootloader. I could not get it fixed, no matter what I tried, so I don't know if it's even fixable..

Sent from my Droid

10. zpocbob

zpocbob New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this phone on ebay in hopes I could revive it. I always read this Droid is unbrickable, so I got it.

11. zorazz

zorazz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am having the same problem as op as well. Like op i can boot into recovery restore nandroids, install different roms, and wipe all data+cache like normal, but no matter what I do it always goes straight to bootloader screen.

I have the same problem when flashing .sbf's too. It always gets stuck on BP passthrough mode. When trying to update the baseband i get the error:

Code:
    assert failed: sholes.update_cdma_bp("/tmp/rdl.bin", "/tmp/bp.img")
    It happens no matter what baseband i try. Could that be related somehow?

12. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Current Phone Model:
    If when you try to boot up your phone normally it will only boot into the bootloader no matter what you do or have done, I would go ahead and make the VZW call.

good luck

13. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal DF Super Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +414
    Current Phone Model:
    32GB Moto X Developers Edition
    Twitter:
    furryvarmint
    At that point I'd call VZW. If nothing else you've already returned the phone to stock for the replacement with the SBFs. :D

Search tags for this page
moto devor

motorola devour cdma verizon screen problems