Bricked Droid 4 going from Leak .213 to Fastboot ICS?

OP
jingyen

jingyen

Reaction score

bofis

Reaction score
I can't mount my sd card since the phone won't boot normally or in recovery mode. Do I just need to put it in a phone that will mount and copy over the files? Any other suggestions?
Well you could just pull the SD card and use an adapter or usb reader of some kind to just copy the files directly onto it off your computer first. But the method myfishbear is suggesting does not require that the phone boots really, you just hold both volume keys while pressing power to turn on the phone, and then use the volume down to scroll and volume up to select. Once you are in fastboot recovery mode follow the instructions for using the Droid 4 tool to basically sbf the phone.

OP
jingyen

jingyen

Reaction score
Well you could just pull the SD card and use an adapter or usb reader of some kind to just copy the files directly onto it off your computer first. But the method myfishbear is suggesting does not require that the phone boots really, you just hold both volume keys while pressing power to turn on the phone, and then use the volume down to scroll and volume up to select. Once you are in fastboot recovery mode follow the instructions for using the Droid 4 tool to basically sbf the phone.

Gotcha. I tried flashing the 217 kernel, and I'm now stuck at AP fastboot with an Invalid Flash message. My battery is low, so I'll reattempt once I get it charged up.

OP
jingyen

jingyen

Reaction score
Gotcha. I tried flashing the 217 kernel, and I'm now stuck at AP fastboot with an Invalid Flash message. My battery is low, so I'll reattempt once I get it charged up.

No dice. Nothing helps. I cannot get it to come out of AP FastBoot mode. It says Boot Failure.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
If you're coming from another leak you would have to use the Droid4 Utility to fastboot 219, the 217 kernel, and then apply the 217 via recovery.

Since you tried SBF from 213 it won't flash all the required files so you had bootfailure (that's what I'm guessing, I'm not 100% sure if RSDLsite can flash ICS over any leak other than 217) . Go back into APFastboot and use the Droid4 Utility as described above.

Last edited:
OP
jingyen

jingyen

Reaction score
now re dl the 217 sbf and flash that

I have to solder a factory cable. My battery is low and won't charge now since I can't get out of fastboot mode. I'll post results once I get this going.

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
geeze should have read my directions always charge b4 any of that... all you had to do was flash 217 kern factory reset than sbf 217... if it dosent work than sbf 219 and do the 217 kern flash and install 217 update zip off the sd card...

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I think the safe bet is to flash 219, 217 kernel, and update to 217 via recovery. I have a feeling flashing the 217 kernel without flashing 219 first fouled things up.

OP
jingyen

jingyen

Reaction score
geeze should have read my directions always charge b4 any of that... all you had to do was flash 217 kern factory reset than sbf 217... if it dosent work than sbf 219 and do the 217 kern flash and install 217 update zip off the sd card...

yeah, it was an oversight. i left phone on while at work after flash, and the battery drained while stuck in fastboot loop. am trying to see if i can motoflash recovery so i can at least get it to charge without the cable.

OP
jingyen

jingyen

Reaction score

by the way, i flashed 217 using the link provided, but it wiped out my recovery partition. i couldn't boot into recovery to factory reset. i have managed to moto-flash the system partition by booting with the phone plugged into the wall charger. the fastboot mode said the battery was ok, and i instantly connected it to the pc and ran a moto-flash flash system system.img. i'm now able to charge my phone again. i'll leave the rest for the morning so i don't screw things up even more. thanks for your help, guys.