Bricked after recent forced update (Verizon)

Aversion

Reaction score
Hi, I recently updated my rooted Galaxy S3 (I535) and have been experiencing many problems. So I decided to try a factory reset / wipe data to see if it would help, it didn't - If anything is made it worse. Every time that I try to turn my phone on now it gets stuck after ''Samsung Galaxy S3'' logo appears, the screen turns black and it doesn't do anything.

I have tried using ODIN and following the guide that a user linked in this topic; http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-s3-roms/226786-how-get-back-stock.html but it doesn't seem to help. ODIN even says 'passed' and all that.

Can someone help me? I really can't afford to buy a new phone.

I apologize in advance if this has been posted already but all the guides I have tried don't seem to help.

clueless77

Reaction score
Hi, I recently updated my rooted Galaxy S3 (I535) and have been experiencing many problems. So I decided to try a factory reset / wipe data to see if it would help, it didn't - If anything is made it worse. Every time that I try to turn my phone on now it gets stuck after ''Samsung Galaxy S3'' logo appears, the screen turns black and it doesn't do anything.

I have tried using ODIN and following the guide that a user linked in this topic; http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-s3-roms/226786-how-get-back-stock.html but it doesn't seem to help. ODIN even says 'passed' and all that.

Can someone help me? I really can't afford to buy a new phone.

I apologize in advance if this has been posted already but all the guides I have tried don't seem to help.
[GUIDE] Jelly Bean Factory Image (Root/Recovery/Unlocked Bootloader) *UPDATED 12/12* - xda-developers try this it will get you on the last jelly bean leak that came out right before the ota update. i have used it many times. also there are files for both custom recoveries and the option to root and unlock if you are interested.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

clueless77

Reaction score
Also, after running Odin and your device reboots and it doesn't fully boot you may want to go in stick recovery and data and cache wipe. I have had to do that before.

OP
A

Aversion

Reaction score
[GUIDE] Jelly Bean Factory Image (Root/Recovery/Unlocked Bootloader) *UPDATED 12/12* - xda-developers try this it will get you on the last jelly bean leak that came out right before the ota update. i have used it many times. also there are files for both custom recoveries and the option to root and unlock if you are interested.

Hope this helps.

Thank you it seems to have worked! The phone updated like 3 to 4 times and I no longer have root or any problems (as of yet)

I do have another concern tho, totally unreleated to this post.

I have stuck black pixels on my phone, when I look at a black screen with lighted background I can see lines, and spots all over. This doesn't happen with any other colors. Any idea how I can fix this? - Verizon refuses to replace the phone because it's a ''known issue''..

clueless77

Reaction score
No problem, glad you got it fixed. Yeah I've read something about that issue here and there and its most likely a hardware issue, probably replacing the screen is the only fix.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Thank you it seems to have worked! The phone updated like 3 to 4 times and I no longer have root or any problems (as of yet)

I do have another concern tho, totally unreleated to this post.

I have stuck black pixels on my phone, when I look at a black screen with lighted background I can see lines, and spots all over. This doesn't happen with any other colors. Any idea how I can fix this? - Verizon refuses to replace the phone because it's a ''known issue''..

Well you need to talk to a different REP at VZW... IF they are telling you that they won't fix or replace it because it is a known issue that is BS... That is usually the easiest way to get them to replace the unit is when it is a known issue.... Seems as of lately VZW is getting harder and harder to get to replace phones under warranty... I have insurance on mine and it took over a month of calls and arguing to finally get them to replace mine.. (I will say my issue was NOT common and VZW was convinced that it was something I had done... Finally got ahold of the right person who took care of me fully. Even got a nice apology letter after they received my defective phone stating that the issue and damage was NOT related to anything I had done...)

clueless77

Reaction score
Well you need to talk to a different REP at VZW... IF they are telling you that they won't fix or replace it because it is a known issue that is BS... That is usually the easiest way to get them to replace the unit is when it is a known issue.... Seems as of lately VZW is getting harder and harder to get to replace phones under warranty... I have insurance on mine and it took over a month of calls and arguing to finally get them to replace mine.. (I will say my issue was NOT common and VZW was convinced that it was something I had done... Finally got ahold of the right person who took care of me fully. Even got a nice apology letter after they received my defective phone stating that the issue and damage was NOT related to anything I had done...)
yes this too.

OP
A

Aversion

Reaction score

Ya I believe you are right. Another rep tells me they will give me a refurbished phone.. I really don't want to do that since this phone is only 2 months old. I went through refurbs before with my Droid Global and that was not fun.

Seems Samsung will ''fix it'' for free.. Guess I might do that.