Brick'd? Now what?

RayneC

Reaction score
I'm curious as to what to do now. My DROID was in my pocket on Friday, in the rain, and got a little bit of water in the battery compartment. I pulled it apart, and let it dry until Monday. The screen works, but will not light up at all. If I catch it at the right angle in good light I can almost function. The haptic buttons do light up, but have started to glow for hours after the phone has died(?!) The phone is doing so currently at 4+ hours posthumous. They only stop when the battery is pulled, but start again once it is replaced.

I've already run it in safe mode to see if that might give me any ideas. Water damage indicator on the battery is positive, but the phone one is negative. Is there a chance my battery is just fried and not sending enough power to the display?

Do I give it a few more days, replace the battery, or go crawling back to VZW with my tail between my legs? I've only had the thing a month :icon_ cry:

brock

Reaction score
if it got wet stick is in a large bowl of rice for a few days.

JTAC

Reaction score
Rice actually works...sometimes. I had people do that to their phones (BlackBerry's submerged in the toilet) when I worked for AT&T and they came back to life.

Appleanche

Reaction score
Do you have insurance? If so you can go ahead and do that over the phone, if not you're options aren't so clear. I'm not sure if Verizon or Motorola do an out of warranty repair on Droid, so they might force you to pony up $550 non contract price, which is totally ridiculous because at least Apple gives you a $200 option to swap a broken with refurb.

If it was seriously just rain in your pocket the phone should be able to withstand that.

You might want to call, complain about it, just mention that it was rainy, you tried to protect it as much as you could (I mean we can't carry bags around for it) but some water got in your pocket. You might get denied but keep trying, somewhere down the line you'll get someone willing to work with you.

Best of luck, let us know how it works.

Edit- You might have more luck going to a Verizon store as well, since I feel like in my time of sitting there waiting they tend to work with customers more.

Last edited:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wet is wet, if you have insurance, great, it will cost you $90 for the mistake. If you don't have insurance, they will give you 1 year pricing on a new Droid, and will reset your eligibility for your next upgrade. That's the bottom line.

OP
R

RayneC

Reaction score
OP
R

RayneC

Reaction score
Do you have insurance? If so you can go ahead and do that over the phone, if not you're options aren't so clear. I'm not sure if Verizon or Motorola do an out of warranty repair on Droid, so they might force you to pony up $550 non contract price, which is totally ridiculous because at least Apple gives you a $200 option to swap a broken with refurb.

If it was seriously just rain in your pocket the phone should be able to withstand that.

You might want to call, complain about it, just mention that it was rainy, you tried to protect it as much as you could (I mean we can't carry bags around for it) but some water got in your pocket. You might get denied but keep trying, somewhere down the line you'll get someone willing to work with you.

Best of luck, let us know how it works.

Edit- You might have more luck going to a Verizon store as well, since I feel like in my time of sitting there waiting they tend to work with customers more.

I do have insurance, at least I'm pretty sure. They asked if I wanted it and I said yes, but in my search for information in the time since it got wet I found out that the deductible and monthly price they told me was for the extended warranty. Im just hoping it was a brain-fart on the agent's part.

It was truly rain in my pocket. Sad sad state of affairs. It hit it just right to go through the speaker into the battery compartment. I'm not going to lie about it, even if its $300 in stake. No way I'm getting caught up in any fraud risks

I'm not the kind of person to raise hell, even when I should. I can hope it goes well. I haven't gone to VZW yet because I don't have the $90 for the deductible. I hate being poor....

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is the water senor tripped/active??

I do have insurance, at least I'm pretty sure. They asked if I wanted it and I said yes, but in my search for information in the time since it got wet I found out that the deductible and monthly price they told me was for the extended warranty. Im just hoping it was a brain-fart on the agent's part.

It was truly rain in my pocket. Sad sad state of affairs. It hit it just right to go through the speaker into the battery compartment. I'm not going to lie about it, even if its $300 in stake. No way I'm getting caught up in any fraud risks

I'm not the kind of person to raise hell, even when I should. I can hope it goes well. I haven't gone to VZW yet because I don't have the $90 for the deductible. I hate being poor....

Is the water sensor (seen above and to the left of the battery) tripped/activate?? If it's not you could likely get VZW to replace it as a warranty (i.e. "it just stopped working"). And this is NOT technically fraud because as long as that sensor is not active it's still possible that your incident may just be coincidental with something else that caused the phone to not work. It's at least worth a shot.

joker402

Reaction score
If the phone indicator is not read then all you have to do is call for a replacement under warranty. They will ask you if any of the indicators are red. Say no. They will send you just the phone nothikng eles and you send yours back.

After all the phone indicator is not red so you didn't lie about it and the battery is not gonna damage the phone.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
The normal state of the indicator is white with red "x"s if it has been tripped it will be solid red. So look at it and make a decision from there.