Brick assistance

ahrens27

Reaction score
So I tried updating ICS builds using the guide found at Droid 4 Utility Updated - xda-developers and everything goes fine until I try and install the 213 ICS zip file in recovery. It keeps giving me a "signature cannot be verified" message. I have tried the process 3 times now and continue to get this message. I am also unable to revert back to .219 GB and am now stuck on a bootloop that leads to a grey screen. Any suggestions? I'm using a droid 2 global as backup and am camping so if you need me to provide more information it may be delayed. Sorry and any assistance or ideas with this would be greatly appreciated.

OP
A

ahrens27

Reaction score
I was coming from the .206 build of the ICS leak trying to update to the .213 build

RideZeLitenin

Reaction score
As I am no expert (I just flashed ICS from GB yesterday)... I'll throw out some ideas - did you have root on your .206?

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
He was on 206 and tried updating to 213 but signature verification failed. It could be a few things:

1. Sometimes you have to try it several times and then it works;
2. The update on your sd card is corrupt so you need to redownload and try updating from recovery again;
3. The flashing of 219 and/or 213 kernel was not complete or was corrupt and therefore you have to restart the whole process

Something isn't matching up. The 219 + 213 kernel is not matching up with the 213 update, so it's either the flashing of 219 and the 213 kernel didn't go right or the 213 download is corrupt.

Last edited:

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Starting over would be easiest. Take your sdcard and use the d2 to copy over the 213 file to be sure its good. If you downloaded it from one of my links be sure it's not a zip in a zip. I had to do that to some of the files in gdocs or it just showed all the contents and didn't give you a full zip to download. Also don't know when you downloaded the tool, but i revised it a couple of days ago. It will flash the GB files and the ICS kernel in one run instead of two steps. I went from 211 to 213 in about 35 minutes.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

kenji91

Reaction score
My first mistake was not removing the zip file from the main ICS leak zip file itself. When I switched (back when it was the .206 leak), the leak zip file had another zip inside it called Blur_Version.6.13.219.XT894.Verizon.en.US.zip. This would have to be copied to the external sd card.

Additionally, I had a ton of folders on my external sd card and recovery only sees a limited number. I ended up having to move the leak to the /mnt/sdcard-ext/Android folder to access it in recovery.

OP
A

ahrens27

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas guys I will try these when I get back in town on Monday. I agree I think it is the kernel not matching the build and I will try getting fresh downloads to work off of. Ill be sure to post results!

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
If the flashing of the ICS kernel was successful then going back to stock GB is not possible. Try the process over again and redownload everything, sometimes the downloads get corrupt. But mostly, you have to keep trying. Some people are lucky and can get it on the first try (going to 208 took me several tries, but going from 208 to 211 was flawless). Even if the flashing goes perfect, it still can take several tries. It can be finicky for some reason. I read about someone with a Razr who took nearly ten tries to get it to work.

OP
A

ahrens27

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the assistance! I pulled a rookie mistake and did not unzip the D4.213.zip and was trying to install that in Recovery after using the tool. Once my power came back on in my apartment I redownloaded everything and went through the step by step instructions, including unzipping the leak download. Everything is up and running now and I'm probably going to hold off on updating my phone for a while and enjoy the headaches and swear words this update caused me. Thanks again everyone and I hope this helps other people out as well!

xavez87

Reaction score
Hi guys I recently upgraded from GB to ICS 213. Following are the general steps I took:

1. Flash the 6.13.219 fastboot file
2. Root using latest droid utility
3. Updated to ICS (did not use rootkeeper)
4. Flash ICSkernalfix
5. Root using droid ultility

Now I cannot access the oem recovery. It goes into fastboot and says " (s) Boot failure " at the top and " invalid CG version. CG: recovery " at the bottom
The phone boots normally and have all functions working. However, I can't get safestrap to work in safe mode. It gets stuck on a blank screen after the splashscreen. There's a line that says data.img is missing when toggling from unsafe to safe mode

Any ideas? I am now trying to download another boot.img file of the same version from another source

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If you were on GB you didn't need to flash the kernel after flashing the ota update. This might be the source of your issues with safestrap. I am not using it so I can't be for sure.

xavez87

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I realize that is not required as per the instructions in SGMD1's thread.

However I found a post in the safestrap thread saying that you need to flash a ROM after switching to safemode otherwise there isn't anything to boot?

So does that mean if I am sticking with stock there is no need for safestap? I wanted to use safestrap to be safe because of my inaccessible stock recovery

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
The ics leaks are not full roms, they patch the current GB system. So you don't need safestrap to run stock ics. If you want to run a rom while on stock ics you need safestrap 2 installed.