Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
^^^^^^very well said!

sent from my hot Note 3

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
For some people, Edge can currently be a cost savings (if they don't want the newest device, that is). The S4 is about $20/month and then take into consideration the $25 discount on 10gb+, and the consumer is saving $5/month over being in a contract. The S4 mini is about $16/month. The more I sell the Edge plan, the more I begin to see the value for some people. I was very much against it in the beginning, until I actually started working out the numbers for a customer. Even with the S5, the customer is 'breaking even ' on monthly fee with 10gb+, so some places are saying the S5 is free. Then add in being able to trade in the phone after a year and get a new device, plus no activation/upgrade fees, and it does have its perks.
I'm not so keen on turning in my phone either, but if I don't, then it just sits in a drawer collecting dust and losing its value. Sure, I could keep it as a backup, but if I was doing Edge, I'd definitely have Verizon's insurance plan and just pay $100 to get a replacement if something happens, since I would still be making those monthly payments even if I went back to the old device.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

I tend to keep one backup and sell my old phones on Glyde or some other online sales place... But yes I can see the draw. If I didn't drive and stream so much music it might make sense but right now I'm using 10+ GB every month in my line alone, and that's so tethering.

Good points though

jspradling7

Reaction score
@jackiescivic

Ah, okay. That makes a little more sense. So, just for fun and to simplify the math for me... the 25 dollar discount they give you could be said to cancel out the underlying or "hidden" hardware portion of your Verizon bill. If looked at like that then the rest of the device cost can be looked at more cleanly.

A 700 dollar phone's cost spread out over 20 months is about 35 bucks a month. Now, you can upgrade as early as you want as long as you have paid off (or pay) 50% of the cost of the phone (in this example $350) and give them the phone back. And thus, if you wait for 10 months to upgrade then you've paid the $350 and all you have to do is give them the old phone and get a new one and start over.

I know I over simplified it but is that about the jist of it?

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think, thanks to Motorola I will never be tied to a contract again!! :)

Seriously, I am a Big Red customer but will always buy my devices outright from now on.

scott craft

Reaction score
If there was a $25 discount per line regardless of the size of the data plan I would probably sign up for edge. I haven't done the math, but ten bucks per line doesn't seem worth it.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
For some people, Edge can currently be a cost savings (if they don't want the newest device, that is). The S4 is about $20/month ...

I can buy the S4 on EBAY for $350 (probably less)...and keep my unlimited. After 12 more months, the difference between buying that vs. VZW is, at most, $170 (but I still have a phone I could sell)

And WHAT DOES happen if I lose my phone and don't have one to turn-in? So you're "saving" me $5/mo but forcing me into an $8.50 insurance plan (which really is foolish to buy)?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I can buy the S4 on EBAY for $350 (probably less)...and keep my unlimited. After 12 more months, the difference between buying that vs. VZW is, at most, $170 (but I still have a phone I could sell)

And WHAT DOES happen if I lose my phone and don't have one to turn-in? So you're "saving" me $5/mo but forcing me into an $8.50 insurance plan (which really is foolish to buy)?

I disagree, like any other insurance it may only be there for peace of mind, however I've used mine a number of times and it's worked out great, either the phone broke and it was a warranty issue that was covered under the extended warranty, or one of my little... Children, got ahold of it and broke a screen or something else.

It may seem ridiculous, but it's saved me a few times.

I know you could argue I can put 8.50 in the bank and blah blah, but I'd just end up spending it.

jspradling7

Reaction score
The problem I had with keeping my unlimited was that I couldn't use an upgrade I was paying for. Meaning that the 20 or 25 dollar built in hardware fee in my bill was wasted. I was paying Verizon for hardware I wasn't getting.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The problem I had with keeping my unlimited was that I couldn't use an upgrade I was paying for. Meaning that the 20 or 25 dollar built in hardware fee in my bill was wasted. I was paying Verizon for hardware I wasn't getting.

I pay $70 a month...I think I've seen 1 plan for 2-4gigs of data that was $10 cheaper. The actual "built-in" price of the hardware is probably closer to $10/mo.

Basically what VZW did was bump the cost of unlimited plans $10-$15/mo when they ended the subsidy. Of course, they get much more than that on different tiers of limited data. The simple fact of the matter is VZW increased their prices on multiple fronts 2-3 years ago.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It may seem ridiculous, but it's saved me a few times.

It may work for you, but the vast majority of people will pay $200 in insurance over 2-yrs, plus another $100 IF they have a claim. So they pay almost half the cost of a new phone just for option to lose/break it?!? These people are suckers who are basically subsidizing your carelessness.

For most people, the wiser "investment" is just to pick-up a used phone on EBAY until they're eligible to upgrade, or even make do with an older phone they are a friend have until they can upgrade. Especially these days I can easily grab a good phone (sometimes brand new) off EBAY for $200-$300 - I'd have to lose/bust 1 phone a year just to break-even on the insurance.

$8.50 a month seems trivial, but that kind of bleed adds up. Most of us (myself included, certainly) pay little attention to how much money we waste. $5 here, $10 there...I could easily save hundreds of dollars a year with minimal effort. Like I have to call every 6-12 months to complain to renew my discounted bundle on cable/internet ($50/mo).

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
For most people, the wiser "investment" is just to pick-up a used phone on EBAY until they're eligible to upgrade, or even make do with an older phone they are a friend have until they can upgrade. Especially these days I can easily grab a good phone (sometimes brand new) off EBAY for $200-$300 - I'd have to lose/bust 1 phone a year just to break-even on the insurance.

$8.50 a month seems trivial, but that kind of bleed adds up. Most of us (myself included, certainly) pay little attention to how much money we waste. $5 here, $10 there...I could easily save hundreds of dollars a year with minimal effort. Like I have to call every 6-12 months to complain to renew my discounted bundle on cable/internet ($50/mo).

I usually just keep insurance for 1 year, then after that year drop it. And now that I have my old Galaxy Nexus as a backup, I can make due until I need to buy another phone.

Yes, but I think of it like this, I am paying an extra 25/month to keep unlimited data. Instead, I should be getting a 25/month discount just for staying with Verizon, but a man can dream.

KaChow

Reaction score
I usually just keep insurance for 1 year, then after that year drop it. And now that I have my old Galaxy Nexus as a backup, I can make due until I need to buy another phone.

This is what I've been using for insurance. Best thing ever!!! I've only needed to use it once within the past 3 phones I've owned, the insurance offered by Carriers is a rip-off and a scam, when I bought my devices, I bought them new. Why on Earth would I pay a monthly premium, then pay a deductible that is nearly 1/3 the cost of the phone to receive a refurbished device?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
This is what I've been using for insurance. Best thing ever!!! I've only needed to use it once within the past 3 phones I've owned, the insurance offered by Carriers is a rip-off and a scam, when I bought my devices, I bought them new. Why on Earth would I pay a monthly premium, then pay a deductible that is nearly 1/3 the cost of the phone to receive a refurbished device?

About half the price...but doesn't appear to cover a lost phone which, I'm guessing, is probably over half the claims. So maybe not such a great deal.

However, clearly a better option so long as you aren't forgetful.

KaChow

Reaction score
About half the price...but doesn't appear to cover a lost phone which, I'm guessing, is probably over half the claims. So maybe not such a great deal.

However, clearly a better option so long as you aren't forgetful.

They do cover "Theft", the only time I've ever lost something is when someone stole it from me.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
@jackiescivic

Ah, okay. That makes a little more sense. So, just for fun and to simplify the math for me... the 25 dollar discount they give you could be said to cancel out the underlying or "hidden" hardware portion of your Verizon bill. If looked at like that then the rest of the device cost can be looked at more cleanly.

A 700 dollar phone's cost spread out over 20 months is about 35 bucks a month. Now, you can upgrade as early as you want as long as you have paid off (or pay) 50% of the cost of the phone (in this example $350) and give them the phone back. And thus, if you wait for 10 months to upgrade then you've paid the $350 and all you have to do is give them the old phone and get a new one and start over.

I know I over simplified it but is that about the jist of it?

Yes, that is about the just of it. From what I have been told by customers, Verizon corporate stores are telling people they can get a free S5 with Edge because of that $25 line credit with 10+gb. Keep in mind, beginning June 1st, you will have 20 monthly payments instead of 24, and will need to have 60% paid off before you can Edge Up.
If I was not selling Verizon I would probably look at doing Edge simply because I have a habit of getting a new phone every year (I only have to sign a 1yr contract).
For the person that posted the non-Verizon replacement phone option, that's fine and we'll but keep in mind that for those who may do Edge, in order to Edge Up, you must turn in a device from an approved Verizon insurance provider. To my knowledge, the only accepted one is Asurion.

Sent from my Droid Maxx