[Breaking] Verizon Will Be Changing Edge Program Features

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Verizon_Edge_Wide.jpg

Thanks to a trusted source, we have some new intel regarding Verizon's Edge program. Apparently Big Red will be making some changes to it. Here's what we know:

Beginning June 1st, Edge will be 20 monthly payments instead of 24, and Edge Up eligibility goes from 50% to 60. Customers that enrolled in Edge prior to June 1st are grandfathered into the 24 month/50%.

What do you guys think of this new move from VZW?

Thanks for the tip, jackiescivic!

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Is there any documentation on this?

sent from my hot Note 3

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
The "edge up" upgrade time doesn't really change....with 20 months vs. 24 months means you pay a little more each month.....and 60% of the phone should still be about halfway through......am I right or wrong? :-/

sent from my hot Note 3

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there any documentation on this?

sent from my hot Note 3

To answer your question... this is hot insider info and hasn't made it to press yet. There is no official word just yet.

scott craft

Reaction score
On a $600 dollar phone this changes the payment from $25 to $30, but it will still take 12 payments to reach the upgrade point. To me this makes the edge plan a bit less appealing.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
It's still a lousy deal. (IMHO)

Sent from my Moto X using Droid Forums

jspradling7

Reaction score
As I was lead to understand, 20 bucks of your Verizon bill is already to pay for hardware without an edge plan, that's why they offered subsidized phones to start with. 20 x 18 months is 360 bucks plus a subsidized price of 300.00 means you paid full retail for a phone. And you keep your old phone.

On the edge plan, they give you a 700 dollar phone, you are already paying 20 bucks in your bill for hardware, now they add on another 25 or so for the edge plan and you are now paying 45 a month for hardware. 45 x 10 months (halfway through) is 450 dollars and they will be kind enough to let you pay them 300 dollars more AND give them your old phone to get a new one.

If my numbers are anywhere near correct the edge plan is a sucker deal.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
When you "Edge up" you don't have to pay an additional amount......you just trade your phone and start over......am I wrong?

sent from my hot Note 3

Mike.757

Silver Member
Reaction score
We were given a $25 per line per month discount so we are not doubling the payment. The advantage of the edge plan is being able to upgrade every year and not being tied to a contract.

scott craft

Reaction score
We were given a $25 per line per month discount so we are not doubling the payment. The advantage of the edge plan is being able to upgrade every year and not being tied to a contract.

Isn't it $25 a month only if you have more than 8gb of data? I thought under 8gb it was only a $10 discount?

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
When you "Edge up" you don't have to pay an additional amount......you just trade your phone and start over......am I wrong?

sent from my hot Note 3 

glad I'm unlimited... I'd rather just stick with it... no edge plans.. nothing...

besides having to trade my phone back? I prefer to keep my old phone as backup

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
For some people, Edge can currently be a cost savings (if they don't want the newest device, that is). The S4 is about $20/month and then take into consideration the $25 discount on 10gb+, and the consumer is saving $5/month over being in a contract. The S4 mini is about $16/month. The more I sell the Edge plan, the more I begin to see the value for some people. I was very much against it in the beginning, until I actually started working out the numbers for a customer. Even with the S5, the customer is 'breaking even ' on monthly fee with 10gb+, so some places are saying the S5 is free. Then add in being able to trade in the phone after a year and get a new device, plus no activation/upgrade fees, and it does have its perks.
I'm not so keen on turning in my phone either, but if I don't, then it just sits in a drawer collecting dust and losing its value. Sure, I could keep it as a backup, but if I was doing Edge, I'd definitely have Verizon's insurance plan and just pay $100 to get a replacement if something happens, since I would still be making those monthly payments even if I went back to the old device.

Sent from my Droid Maxx