[Breaking]Verizon Plans to Slow Downloads of High Data Users Because of iPhone Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
With all this talk about Verizon throttling peolpe I keep seeing the Verizon guy kicking in someone's door, putting them in a choke hold all UFC style and screaming "Can you hear me now b1tch!"

No tethering for me, I don't wanna get choked out! :icon_eek:

hahaah...that would make for a great superbowl commercial

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
- "Can you hear me now?"
- 'Yes I can'
- "Good. Ok, I'm gonna need you to go ahead and stop using your unlimited data so much."
- '... but it's unlimited...'
- "Are you using an iPhone?"
- 'No.'
- "We'll be sending a tech to your location, please sit tight"

... a black van pulls up....

UNC

Reaction score
Only ~10% of Verizon users have smartphones, so the top 5% of all bandwidth use = roughly half of all smartphones users!
Think about that.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Only ~10% of Verizon users have smartphones, so the top 5% of all bandwidth use = roughly half of all smartphones users!
Think about that.

Its the top five percent of those that meet a certain threshold not five percent of the total. If the threshold is 5GB, very few people will be affected...if its more then 5GB that number is far less.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ntrddragn

Reaction score
everything vzw is doing is to please apple nowadays. even the 14s day return policy is to please apple. since apple return policy is 14 days. its not a coincident that it went to back to 14 days after the iphone announcement.

XMasterMoronX

Reaction score
what if you disable the onboard phone data governor? I heard that unlimits your speed without throttling you... I actually plan on using it when my brother gets his Iphone to rub it in his face

UNC

Reaction score
Where's my edit!!! LOL.

The iPhone will not be throttled, and as much as all of you don't want to hear it, it CANNOT be throttled. iPhone is Verizon's flagship device now, of course their flagship device will get preference over the also-ran androids that Verizon sells ONLY because they didn't have the iPhone before.

I've heard that iPhone 5 will be out in July with dual-core and a slew of other features on AT&T, and then it will come in December to Verizon with full LTE support... the "Droid" line might as well be discontinued if that happens.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
UNC, will you be leaving us once you get your iPhone?

and VZW isn't going to wait til Dec for the iPhone 5. It'll be out same time as AT&T I'm sure.

UNC

Reaction score
Think about that.

Its the top five percent of those that meet a certain threshold not five percent of the total. If the threshold is 5GB, very few people will be affected...if its more then 5GB that number is far less.

"...the top 5% of Verizon Wireless data users" This is from the actual statement. That does not say the top 5% of smartphone users...

So yes, like I said; upwards of 50% of all smartphone users will be getting throttled.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Think about that.

"...the top 5% of Verizon Wireless data users" This is from the actual statement. That does not say the top 5% of smartphone users...

So yes, like I said; upwards of 50% of all smartphone users will be getting throttled.
UNC does have a point, it didn't say 'smartphone' users, it did says 'data users'.

xmguy

Reaction score
If VZW thinks that people like me that use 1-3 GBs per month (streaming radio) is the 5%. Then I may move elsewhere.

UNC

Reaction score

and VZW isn't going to wait til Dec for the iPhone 5. It'll be out same time as AT&T I'm sure.

I don't understand the animosity? I still have a droid...
Do people have to go elsewhere for talking about the Galaxy S and the Thunderbolt because they are not "Droids"???

I'm pretty confident the iPhone is going to be staggered, Summer release for AT&T, Winter for Verizon.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Do people have to go elsewhere for talking about the Galaxy S and the Thunderbolt because they are not "Droids"???

I'm pretty confident the iPhone is going to be staggered, Summer release for AT&T, Winter for Verizon.

Really wasn't animosity and I apologize if it seemed as so. Was a legit question. I just got the impression you only have an Android device because the iPhone wasn't on VZW. Was curious to know if you were gonna stick around after getting what you've truly wanted.

Reason I say I can't see VZW waiting til Dec... they're jumping thru hoops to get the iPhone going... they're not gonna let AT&T have a 6 month lead on sales of the iPhone5... doesn't seem logical in a money sense to me.

Last edited:

UNC

Reaction score

Really wasn't animosity and I apologize if it seemed as so. Was a legit question.

Heck no I'm not leaving! I imagine I'll keep the D1 until it craps out on me, it sure makes a GREAT backup!!! I'll always need DF to keep me up to date on CM and upcoming releases. I also plan on picking up a Bionic and/or Droidc3po (if its 4g). So I imagine I'll be around for the long-haul.

I really like android, but the iPhone 4 is a much better product overall than the 2.3 and earlier android devices. That doesn't mean the next-gen of android won't surpass iOS.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Really wasn't animosity and I apologize if it seemed as so. Was a legit question.

Heck no I'm not leaving! I imagine I'll keep the D1 until it craps out on me, it sure makes a GREAT backup!!! I'll always need DF to keep me up to date on CM and upcoming releases. I also plan on picking up a Bionic and/or Droidc3po (if its 4g). So I imagine I'll be around for the long-haul.

I really like android, but the iPhone 4 is a much better product overall than the 2.3 and earlier android devices. That doesn't mean the next-gen of android won't surpass iOS.
Glad we straightened that out!

Was a genuine question I had for you. Didn't mean to seem short with ya. I asked, you explained. That worked out perfectly. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.