[Breaking]Verizon Plans to Slow Downloads of High Data Users Because of iPhone Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Then apperantly the site I used for conversions has its conversion factors off XD

-puts on dunce cap, walks out of thread with head down....-

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

We all do it...Pat yourself on the back for providing some entertainment!

PalmerCurling

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Then apperantly the site I used for conversions has its conversion factors off XD

-puts on dunce cap, walks out of thread with head down....-

We all do it...Pat yourself on the back for providing some entertainment!

Hehe. I was seriously like "WHAT?!?" It just made so little sense. But then I don't really know how much data my different apps eat. Is there an app to check that?

ogbt88

Reaction score
This is not new. They have been doin this for a while now. If u go over 3gbs they cut ur bandwidth in half.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

brando56894

Reaction score
To be clear the 2tb has been over the course of slightly under 5 months.

I dont believe you. Thats 333 GB/month! which would be 10.7 GB per day if you downloaded stuff constantly 24/7 for 31 days. I torrent tons of stuff weekly on my home computer and I dont think I even reach that with a 30mbps connection! I find it extremely hard to believe you can download that much with a measly 1 to 3 mbps connection.

Using 2tb in 6 months is pretty much impossible unless you're tethering... tethering is a violation of ToS.

Everyone who is tethering without paying VZW $20 is STEALING bandwidth from us users who do not tether!! I paid for my service too, and its ridiculous that it gets bogged down because some of you people won't pay verizon their damn money and tether for free. I wish the tether app didn't exist seriously.

Thank you dude who says he used 2tb. Users like you are the reason they have to have caps and throttling!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

I completely agree with you. I tether once in a while but when I do I only browse the web, I dont download gigabytes worth of files.

aRsTwiX

Reaction score

I dont believe you. Thats 333 GB/month! which would be 10.7 GB per day if you downloaded stuff constantly 24/7 for 31 days. I torrent tons of stuff weekly on my home computer and I dont think I even reach that with a 30mbps connection! I find it extremely hard to believe you can download that much with a measly 1 to 3 mbps connection.

Using 2tb in 6 months is pretty much impossible unless you're tethering... tethering is a violation of ToS.

Everyone who is tethering without paying VZW $20 is STEALING bandwidth from us users who do not tether!! I paid for my service too, and its ridiculous that it gets bogged down because some of you people won't pay verizon their damn money and tether for free. I wish the tether app didn't exist seriously.

Thank you dude who says he used 2tb. Users like you are the reason they have to have caps and throttling!

I completely agree with you. I tether once in a while but when I do I only browse the web, I dont download gigabytes worth of files.
You should have kept reading post. Haha. We already figured it out. Was a good riot though.

wingdo

Reaction score
I use a TON of data....I promise. I download a lot of apps....have something like 240 ATM....DL torrents...usually movies in the GB's....and music. So I don't know about 10GB a day....but I know VZW doesn't really like me.

You are why VZW is starting to throttle data. Good lord, get broadband in your house.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I use a TON of data....I promise. I download a lot of apps....have something like 240 ATM....DL torrents...usually movies in the GB's....and music. So I don't know about 10GB a day....but I know VZW doesn't really like me.

You are why VZW is starting to throttle data. Good lord, get broadband in your house.

Pretty much. This is the exact kind of data usage and, you know what, I'll say it, data abuse that is causing the throttling issue. There is honestly no reason to do this kind of downloading over the network. Because you pay for it and because you can? That's ridiculous. That is straight abuse of the policy.

brando56894

Reaction score

You should have kept reading post. Haha. We already figured it out. Was a good riot though.

yea I just saw it lol It was one of those things that so ridiculous you have to stop everything and comment on it. I hate not having the edit button available in here....

brando56894

Reaction score

Pretty much. This is the exact kind of data usage and, you know what, I'll say it, data abuse that is causing the throttling issue. There is honestly no reason to do this kind of downloading over the network. Because you pay for it and because you can? That's ridiculous. That is straight abuse of the policy.

I bet he's one of the people who goes to a buffet with pockets and bags lined with zip-lock bags! :icon_ banana: (just kidding buddy!) But seriously there really is no need to download movies and torrent stuff over 3g. I did it for two weeks back in august when I moved into a new (college) apartment and didnt have $50 to pay for broadband so I tethered so I could browse the web. I tried to torrent stuff but its so painfully slow I dont know why anyone would bother doing it! It took like 6-8 hours to download a 700mb movie!

HeroNova

Reaction score
So they say they'll throttle the top 5% of Verizon wireless customers.

Does that work out to 1 in 10 smartphone users?

5% would be 1 in 20 if this equation is even right. But I think the top 5% would be exceeding the 5gb mark. You have to look at it in percentages per month I guess. If you use 2-5gb of data regardless of the phone you are using, and some are using 15-20gb of data, you are most certainly NOT in the top 5%. But, if everyone on VZW network is within the 2-5gb range (which, we all know is not true due to tethering and heavy streaming data users) then there is a chance you'd be in the top 5%. I wouldn't worry about this too much though. The average user shouldn't be throttled. I also read another article this morning regarding this issue and a VZW rep stated that the criteria for the throttle would not only be a top 5% user but also if that said user is affecting other data users within his/her range.

UNC

Reaction score

I bet he's one of the people who goes to a buffet with pockets and bags lined with zip-lock bags! :icon_ banana: (just kidding buddy!) But seriously there really is no need to download movies and torrent stuff over 3g. I did it for two weeks back in august when I moved into a new (college) apartment and didnt have $50 to pay for broadband so I tethered so I could browse the web. I tried to torrent stuff but its so painfully slow I dont know why anyone would bother doing it! It took like 6-8 hours to download a 700mb movie!

+1000
Then when they leave the buffet there is no Chicken on a stick (bandwidth) for any of us to use. I love how the abusers say "I paid for unlimited... blah blah blah", you know what, I pay for it too... and its pretty weak that my service has to be slow so you can continuosly whore all the bandwidth.

I actually do hope VZW starts throttling.
I wouldn't even be mad with a 1mb/s cap if it meant I could reach those speeds with regularity.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Id be happy with a 1mbps cap! I consistently get under 600kbps in my area at almost full bars! On a network supposedly capable of delivering three or four times that, pssh.

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

wingdo

Reaction score
Id be happy with a 1mbps cap! I consistently get under 600kbps in my area at almost full bars!

It really is a crap shoot depending on usage at the tower you are on. I get about 1.3mbps at my house, 1.8mbps at work, and 300kbps at my ex's house. The speeds I get over 3G at my office are faster than a co-workers EVO 4G (why do so many I work with use Sprint???).

kptphalkon

Reaction score
In my friends area there is a significantly higher population and population density, its a suburb of cleveland OH ( literally surrounded by CLE, 75000 ppl packed into a 3 by 4 mile city) yet i can achieve over 2 mbps on a regular basis. Where i live there is spotty coverage at best, and although i luckily sit in an area that provides 3 bars average, same signal strength, less population density, i get much much lower speeds.

Sent from the F-Zero cockpit on my D2G

UNC

Reaction score
Id be happy with a 1mbps cap! I consistently get under 600kbps in my area at almost full bars!

It really is a crap shoot depending on usage at the tower you are on. I get about 1.3mbps at my house, 1.8mbps at work, and 300kbps at my ex's house. The speeds I get over 3G at my office are faster than a co-workers EVO 4G (why do so many I work with use Sprint???).

Does your job pay minimum wage? LOL!!! I'm kidding.

Status
Not open for further replies.