[Breaking] Samsung Galaxy S4 Bootloader Unlocked By Dan Rosenberg!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
dan-rosenberg-tweet-unlocked-sgs4-bootloader.jpg

Here is an image for what it is worth! Dan Rosenberg has really been on his game as of late. He recently Rooted JB on Moto Devices, unlocked the bootloader on the Razr HD series of devices, and now it appears that he has unlocked the bootloader on the Galaxy S4. The above photo is all that Dan has published so far. For now we are unsure if this is Verizon or AT&T variant of the S4. As far as I am aware there are not any Verizon models in the public, but we could only hope. Apparently this unlock comes with recovery as well. Sources have told me "The S4 is unlocked sorta", and "Dan will release details publicly later." This is huge news!

Be sure to Follow @DjrBliss on Twitter as this is more than likely where you will find out the details. If he releases his method it will probably be released to vulnfactory.org

Via @DjrBliss - For more discussions on Galaxy S4 Development visit: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/samsung-galaxy-s4-development/

[UPDATE]- Dan has posted some clarification on XDA here

Here are the facts.

-The Image is of an AT&T Galaxy S4 (which ships with the bootloader locked)
-This will allow you to run custom Kernels and Recoveries
-This won't be released until Late May when the Verizon Galaxy S4 is Released (for obvious resasons)
-It is highly likely that this method will work with the Verizon model, but it is untested since Dan doesn't own one
-This will release when it is released, pestering Dan won't make it happen sooner
-This is not the result of a Leak
-You can Donate To the cause here
-You should avoid all OTA updates if you would like to use this method to unlock your bootloader
-Lastly Dan's favorite color is blue

That about wraps it up. Can't wait till my Verizon Galaxy S4 gets here!

Last edited by a moderator:

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Great news!

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
its looking like this won't be released until the Verizon variant comes out for obvious reasons.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Not surprised just surprised how soon.

djsiva

Reaction score
I remember when Moto first started locking bootloaders and we all thought we were screwed, and we were for a while. However, the resolve of the dev community is amazing. We have seen many things which we never thought were possible, including the unlocking of some pretty tough bootloaders.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Personally I wish he had kept this to himself for a bit longer, who's to say Verizon won't get a hair up their bum and try to patch it...

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Probably won't be released for a month. They want to be as certain as possible that Samsung doesn't get a chance to patch it before VZW gets the S4 since the unlock will work on it as well.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dan....is seriously.....tha man..... I KNEW he couldnt stay away.....lol. Hopefully he continues to work on Moto devices...

Djiolira

Reaction score
wow. this time it happened fast. Hopefully unlocked once arrived soon for my country . great news

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dan....is seriously.....tha man..... I KNEW he couldnt stay away.....lol. Hopefully he continues to work on Moto devices...

I dunno.. he said that he was finished with finding exploits on Moto devices. The last root he put out was just a re work of an old exploit so who knows. I am glad to see he jumped on the S4 though!