Breaking News/Very interesting

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
The original vision of Android had nothing to do with being carrier specific...as we can see there are Android phones on Sprint and T-Mobile. The OS originally was supposed to combat the likes of Windows Mobile and Apple...but not to push one carrier rather than another. The only reason why AT&T is ridden of an Android device is more-so because their agreement with Apple and their feeling that there is no real need for one. I do not see why sooner or later they wouldn't arrive...unless Apple stipulates in a future agreement that if they want them exclusive then they cannot sell Android.

Despite the original vision, Android has definitely benefited from the massive marketing dollars that Verizon has poured into the Droid and Eris, and by offering Verizon's extremely reliable network.

Google does not appear to be interested in using any of its resources in marketing the Android OS. Really, the only thing they've ever appeared to market actively is the Chrome Browser, by placing it on the main Google search page.

So the vision seems to be malleable at the moment...

brochaos

Reaction score
it's just gonna be the calgary for vzw and the backflip for at&t...both are "cliq" like...nothing to get too excited over.

LordKastle

Reaction score
Verizon's marketing came about so they could push an answer to AT&T and the iPhone's exclusiveness. Verizon wanted a phone they could market as their flagship phone instead of the usual run of the mill Samsung and HTC devices that get released monthly on all carriers.

No doubt Google has benefited from Verizon's marketing dollars...Verizon saved the App marketplace for Android and has made the Android OS mainstream compared to T-Mobile's failure with it.

I don't understand the point of the post...but I also take issue with what you said about the browser. First off they do not mention the name "Chrome" as the browser BUT thats irrelevant.... have you not looked at the marketplace? Google: Nav, Voice, Goggles, Finance, Listen, Locations, Gmail. You sure they don't care about marketing the OS?

The whole point of Android is to be a mobile OS to compete with and overcome Windows Mobile. The point of Android was to be the mobile OS choice of most manufacturers (Samsung, LG, Motorola, HTC, etc)....not to be exclusive to Verizon or any other network.

Last edited:

JessiesGirl

Reaction score
Verizon's marketing came about so they could push an answer to AT&T and the iPhone's exclusiveness. Verizon wanted a phone they could market as their flagship phone instead of the usual run of the mill Samsung and HTC devices that get released monthly on all carriers.

No doubt Google has benefited from Verizon's marketing dollars...Verizon saved the App marketplace for Android and has made the Android OS mainstream compared to T-Mobile's failure of it.

I don't understand the point of the post...but I also take issue with what you said about the browser. First off they do not mention the name "Chrome" as the browser BUT thats irrelevant.... have you not looked at the marketplace? Google: Nav, Voice, Goggles, Finance, Listen, Locations, Gmail.

I think I wasn't clear. I meant I do not see Google running much in the way of PAID advertising. They have used Verizon for that so far, and used their own search page, which they had previously vowed would always be FREE of ADVERTISING, to pump Google Chrome.

Are they taking advantage of including services on Android devices, much as Microsoft did? Sure. But I do not see them paying for advertising.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if everybody read the same article I did, because there was a lot of speculation and maybes and I did not see 1 confirmed fact. Great fodder I guess for the boards but really little substance to it.

I like a little meat and potato on my plate before I make a meal out of it.;)

styx

Reaction score
Why wait? There will ALWAYS be something newer and better on the way....Always!

andrewdoane

Reaction score
Seems like we would have seen more about a phone on BGR and other sites before launch, right? My guess is that this is just the same old things we have heard rumors of before.

Echo3

Reaction score
It doesn't make sense for Verizon/Motorola to pour a lot of money into the marketing campagin of the Droid and only a few months later to announce a brand new Android phone for Verizon if its gonna be better. At least Apple does it right and keeps it tight and not announce a new version a month prior to its release. The Droid is still brand new.

Unless this phone is a different class of its own and won't affect the sales of the Droid.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

soba1

Reaction score
This could get real interesting because this comes just one day after Googles conference.

This may very well be the Droid 2 on VZW's network. Looks like AT&T is getting the Droid as well.

Things are heating up.

Motorola: 2 New Phones At CES? - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

**edit: needed to clarify that this article varies from previous mentions of the Backflip/Enzo running MotoBlur on 1.5. This latest rumor states they may be "Google Expereince" phones. So it's wait and see. Could be nothing more than the Backflip/Enzo or it's a whole new device.**

Maybe Google should slow down a bit interesting article.AppleInsider | Google's Nexus One takes on Droid as Apple's iPhone App Store grows

Edmvr6

Reaction score
This sux... so whats the whole point of makeing the Droid Verizons flagship phone If AT&T will get it?... Then i guess we should get the Iphone. AT&T = Iphone, Tmobile = Nexus1, sprint = palm pre, and verizon = DROID, so i guess we wont have a flagship phone, we should make the chocolate our flagship phone!