[Breaking] Newest Version of My Verizon Mobile App Looks for Rooted Devices

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mine did it when I touched the Verizon Cloud app. I didn't think much about it at the time. I have it on an account that allows tethering and I wouldn't try to return a phone I rooted so no big deal.

I'm with you, I could care less. But there are some people out there who do care, and for good reason.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It also has a new permission that allows it to take pics or videos at any time. Why does it need to do that?

I'm guessing either a security feature for a lost/stolen phone, or more likely it just needs access to the folders to back-up your photos to VZW cloud service (and this permission has probably existed you just never scrutinized it that closely before).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The simple solution is just uninstall the app. What do you guys need it for that can't be accomplished by visiting a bookmarked webpage for verizonwireless?

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing either a security feature for a lost/stolen phone, or more likely it just needs access to the folders to back-up your photos to VZW cloud service (and this permission has probably existed you just never scrutinized it that closely before).

I would agree with that. The root check is the only thing dirty about this update.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I would agree with that. The root check is the only thing dirty about this update.

Seriously. I bet only 10-15% of users are rooted (if that)...so why would VZW bother with any activity that requires root access? Although, now that I think about it, VZW might be able to give its app root access on factory original phones, since they have so much control over the software and updates.

I'll be curious if anyone hacks the apk to figure out just exactly what the app is trying to do.

livinginkaos

Reaction score
BTW, T-Mobile's app has been doing this for several weeks already.

sent from my One Max, damn it's big

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seriously. I bet only 10-15% of users are rooted (if that)...so why would VZW bother with any activity that requires root access? Although, now that I think about it, VZW might be able to give its app root access on factory original phones, since they have so much control over the software and updates.

I'll be curious if anyone hacks the apk to figure out just exactly what the app is trying to do.

I'll do it later tonight.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Big Red does it again.

VerizonWorkingyouover.jpg

Batman8

Reaction score
Yes...thanks for the heads up. I don't like being spied on (and especially while paying them at the same time)! I've frozen the app as well. But I still hate the idea that Vzn could possibly deny tech support to some users now just because they have broken their warranty by simply rooting.

The problem will remain however, because this same crap will probably be built right into the next Kit-Kat OTA update, and will probably already come on the next new phone that you buy.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes...thanks for the heads up. I don't like being spied on (and especially while paying them at the same time)! I've frozen the app as well. But I still hate the idea that Vzn could possibly deny tech support to some users now just because they have broken their warranty by simply rooting.

The problem will remain however, because this same crap will probably be built right into the next Kit-Kat OTA update, and will probably already come on the next new phone that you buy.

Probably...

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3

It said that it was a new permission, that's why it caught my eye, but I'll just do what everyone else is doing...disable it. I already use another app to keep an eye on my data usage.

Sent from my Moto X using Droid Forums

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
Yeah that threw me for a loop earlier today as well. But lucky Superuser had a big red warning right on the front so I didn't go through the usual routine of just granting the application root access for forever.

Whatever it needs root access to perform, it can't be good for. Like others have already said, Verizon goes through a lot of work to keep their devices locked down, so there's no good reason they'd require one of their own apps to check for root permissions unless they're doing some snooping of their own.

Narsil

Silver Member
Reaction score
What really bugs me is that it has the ability to activate the camera and camcorder apps without your knowledge.

I don't want anyone activating my phone's camera, camcorder, or microphone for that matter, except the person holding the phone.

Personally, I'd rather take the chance on my phone being stolen and not recovered than give Big Red (or other hacker) the ability to record audio, take video, or take photos of whatever my phone's multiple cameras are seeing without my knowledge.

Thankfully, the Aroma installer on Alliance ROM gave me the option of not even installing the Big Red Bloat and it's not on my phone.

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
What really bugs me is that it has the ability to activate the camera and camcorder apps without your knowledge.

I don't want anyone activating my phone's camera, camcorder, or microphone for that matter, except the person holding the phone.

Personally, I'd rather take the chance on my phone being stolen and not recovered than give Big Red (or other hacker) the ability to record audio, take video, or take photos of whatever my phone's multiple cameras are seeing without my knowledge.

Thankfully, the Aroma installer on Alliance ROM gave me the option of not even installing the Big Red Bloat and it's not on my phone.

I have it on there still and granted it SU privs. I'll be the guinea pig, and let everyone know.