[BREAKING] New Market coming soon!

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I have a co-worker whos allows his 4 year old sun to play games on his apple ipod touch. Well this little kid inadventently bought the most expensive app that apple offered at $899 (a security system) because it had a cool icon. Some of you are probably thinking well that's what he gets for being so careless and you're right. Apple eventually gave in and refunded my co-worker, but only after 3 days of going back and forth. I can't even begin to describe all the hoops he had to jump through to get his money back. The point behind this is at least we still have the ability to request refunds. I feel that this move could also win us over some great developers that may have refused to develop for android in the past because of the old refund policy.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am sure this has been mentioned before but I think you should have to enter a passcode to purchase apps. 1 click purchase is great but its so vulnerable to someone using your phone and going on a spree. I think to go from 24 hours to 15 minutes is completely unacceptable. I don't care what anyone says no matter how much research you do beforehand, 15 minutes is not enough time to determine if you like the app or if your phone handles the app properly.

sent from the great depths of my phones internet (thanks Al Gore)

Chuck931

Reaction score
Luck is a two way street, developers are lucky they have consumers buy some apps. This is nothing new once a old saying,but obvilously thats also fading "The customer is always right" but from reading I must be so priveldge to try or buy such apps that it would be such an honor to have only 15 minute asking anymore you would be considered spoiled brats. Anybody who would have such ignorance to spit in the consumers face over what the "Consumer" request, or concerns over "Product" is a sad indivicual putting it nicely. Like I said earlier you want to product in its place, Dont buy it,plan an simple. Do you wanna show a ownet of a product who in charge DONT BUY IT,after market companies the ones who get labeled falsely as pirites will gladly help you that a fact,anyone who ever rooted your phone your a pirite,because the original developer of your phone did want you to do it, I tip my hat to people like RichZ, developer of Z4root,an app which I donate gladly, looking out for the small people the consumer. Some people need to becareful how you use to word pirite. Any of you use an after market product not made by thr oringinal owner,should be considered a pirite. The end point regardless of what side your on,is you dont like the,terms of service buyer beware. Dont purchase the product.

Sent from my DROIDX using someones wifi.

JayR_

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So you think this is bad, huh? Do you know what type of refund policy the App Store hass? You need a letter frm the son of God in order to get a refund.

Look it's never taken me longer then 15 minutest to decide to keep an app. i think this is a lot of crying from spoiled people who are to tight to take a chance with a buck or two when you purchase an app.

And the first thing some of you did was talk about stealing apps, which isn't allowed in here. Great solution. You still don't know how lucky you are.

I understand this is a big change, I haven't even looked at my D2 to see if the Market as changed. I do undertand that making it an hour would have been better then 15 minutes.. These devs need support or you are going to b subjected to a whole bunch of advertising when you open an app. Some of you are worried about spending more the .99 on an app. I'll bet you've let half fininshed bottles of beer at the bar that you paid 5.00 for. Let's ge t real.

It's still the best Market out there. Support the devs, if not then just spend 15 minutes with the app and decided if it's a keeper or not.. And remember this is the Droid Forums so watch your language if you're upset find the proper way to discuss it without cursing and swearing.

15 minutes is BS a large load of it....sorry that you don't agree with everyone else in this thread. Unfortunately whatever good reasons may be behind this the end result is the consumer feeling apprehensive about spending money...I don't know how much modderating pays these days but obviously you can afford a couple bucks and not think twice but that's not everyone's case sorry to inform you. I also don't believe these posters with legit concerns deserve to be called crying spoiled people.

Sent from my Droid

Cmdates2991

Reaction score
So you think this is bad, huh? Do you know what type of refund policy the App Store hass? You need a letter frm the son of God in order to get a refund.

Look it's never taken me longer then 15 minutest to decide to keep an app. i think this is a lot of crying from spoiled people who are to tight to take a chance with a buck or two when you purchase an app.

And the first thing some of you did was talk about stealing apps, which isn't allowed in here. Great solution. You still don't know how lucky you are.

I understand this is a big change, I haven't even looked at my D2 to see if the Market as changed. I do undertand that making it an hour would have been better then 15 minutes.. These devs need support or you are going to b subjected to a whole bunch of advertising when you open an app. Some of you are worried about spending more the .99 on an app. I'll bet you've let half fininshed bottles of beer at the bar that you paid 5.00 for. Let's ge t real.

It's still the best Market out there. Support the devs, if not then just spend 15 minutes with the app and decided if it's a keeper or not.. And remember this is the Droid Forums so watch your language if you're upset find the proper way to discuss it without cursing and swearing.

You sir are my hero.

pyrofreak

Reaction score
Honestly the market looks great but we still need a sort function. Now I think that 15 to refund an app once you buy it is a bunch of crap i mean seriously how do you go from 24 hours to 15 mins? It should be at least an hour and should really be more like 4 hours.. 4 hours would give you time to run the app check it out, read the comments on it and if you have a problem with the app maybe contact the dev and get the problem fixed but if you have 15 and you buy an app and it doesn't work you might as well refund it and forget it even exist. Ive done this before.. buy an app when your at work and then you get busy and cant use the app right away. This is Android not the App Store.. come on Google at least give us an hour or 2 to check the app.

Tsip85

Reaction score
So, it would seem that many of you who don't mind a 15 minute refund policy mainly use your Droid and the market for games. I agree that 15 minutes is an ample amount of time to tell if you like a game or some other novelty app. However, there are actually a few adults who use Android as well. My Droid is a huge part of my workout regime. I use multiple apps for interval training and other workouts. And these are not .99 apps. They range from $10-$20. If I run for 2 hours a day, how in the hello am I going to know if a $20 app is worth a damn in 15 flipping minutes??? For some apps, 15 minutes isn't even long enough to register an account and get set up prior to your first use. I am not endorsing it in any way, but yes, this will absolutely lead to piracy for many apps that cost more than $1.

Sent from the reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas

LadyAngler

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So, it would seem that many of you who don't mind a 15 minute refund policy mainly use your Droid and the market for games. I agree that 15 minutes is an ample amount of time to tell if you like a game or some other novelty app. However, there are actually a few adults who use Android as well. My Droid is a huge part of my workout regime. I use multiple apps for interval training and other workouts. And these are not .99 apps. They range from $10-$20. If I run for 2 hours a day, how in the hello am I going to know if a $20 app is worth a damn in 15 flipping minutes??? For some apps, 15 minutes isn't even long enough to register an account and get set up prior to your first use. I am not endorsing it in any way, but yes, this will absolutely lead to piracy for many apps that cost more than $1.

Sent from the reincarnated President of the Republic of Texas

+1 I agree totally! This is a bummer! :icon_evil:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hopefully....the 15 minute window leads to more Lite version of apps...cuz I can see the point yall make that say 15 minutes isnt enough...

And doing some reading....it is still a bit better than the Apple app market....

Whats funny, some ppl said the Android market needs to be more like Apples...

Be careful what you wish for....

pyro6128

Reaction score
I just don't see how the "well 15 minutes is better than no refund" logic makes sense. If you follow that line of thinking, then we should be happy there is even a marketplace at all. I can afford to buy tons of apps all day every day if I want to, but I don't like to frivolously spend my money. the type of sheep thinking that says, "eh well it could be worse, ill keep pouring money down the drain" is the exact reason apple gets away with it, and android will get away with this. I don't mind supporting devs, but I only support devs that make a good product. If your app sucks, I don't care how much time and effort you put into it, you're not getting my money.

wawzat

Reaction score
15 minutes is insufficient time to fully evaluate an app. I will demo fewer apps as a result. Not liking this change.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
This new layout looks great - but in my eyes the Market needs built in theming options - not everyone digs the Android green and the ability to change colors right from within the settings would indeed be an update worthy of something -

As far as the fifteen minute policy - agreed, most of the apps that I refund are within the fifteen minute window. It wasn't long ago that we were discussing the possibility of a forty-eight hour refund policy, chances are some accountant did the math and saw that most refunds were in fact (almost) automatic and decided to go with the fifteen minutes.

It probably won't affect me as much as others - but fifteen minutes is not long enough for all apps, some yes - but others not - if anything it will deter people from buying the application in the first place - for me if I don't think I can give it a good run in the twenty-four that is currently available, then I just don't download it at all -

The only thing I see that can make this better is if Developers provide a "lite" or "two day" trial basis for apps that need some testing and configuration to find out if it is going to be compatible for one's needs or not - only time will tell

ShuckThatJive

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I went and bought DoubleTwist's AirSync app, even though I don't use DT, because it was on sale. Then when I got back from work hours later, I was able to install the PC DT program, test it out, and decide I didn't like it.

If there were a 15-minute refund window, I would have waited until I got home to download it, the sale would be over by then, and I probably wouldn't have been able to get the service set up and working between my phone and PC in 15 minutes. I'd be out more money and without even being able to figure out whether the app was any good.

Apps like AirSync and Tasker that have longer setup times and cost more than a buck will definitely see a drop in purchases.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using DroidForums App

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hopefully....the 15 minute window leads to more Lite version of apps...cuz I can see the point yall make that say 15 minutes isnt enough...

+1

Support Our Troops!! UltraKeyboarded from a wifi monolith.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
The only thing I see that can make this better is if Developers provide a "lite" or "two day" trial basis for apps that need some testing and configuration to find out if it is going to be compatible for one's needs or not - only time will tell
Excellent idea!

My prediction: there will be a user-revolt over the 15-minute return policy, and Google will "relent" and create a longer-term option for apps that can't be realistically evaluated in 15 minutes.

There is an undesirable side-effect that might occur here: imagine that you had 15 minutes to decide if you...wanted to keep your car...marry someone...attend a college... The optimal strategy under those kinds of time constraints is something like speed-dating...taste, move on, taste, move on, etc.

I'd imagine if we see "speed-testing" of apps--that is, a large increase in returns in the 5-6 minute window--developers will realize that users are basing their keep/return decision on very shallow experience with the product. If I were a dev, I'd try to lobby for some kind of secondary return option that gives users more time to use the product.

-Matt