BREAKING: Motorola Unlocks Your Device Via "Unlock My Device"

Discussion in 'Android News' started by cereal killer, Aug 17, 2012.

1. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

If I'm not mistaken, vzw does try to prevent HTC phones from being unlocked. Didn't the rezound take a couple of months to unlock? I could be wrong, but I also thought you had to short something with a paper clip to completely unlock them. Either way, vzw doesn't want bootloaders unlocked and neither do most carriers. If they didn't care, every phone would be unlocked with the adb command fastboot oem unlock rather than the devs having to find an exploit.

Sent from my SCH-I535
  2. bacK_N_87

bacK_N_87 New Member

3. cobravnm13

cobravnm13 Well-Known Member

Yes, the Rezound had to be shorted with a paperclip to get S-off, although the bootloader was still unlockable through HTCDev. The S3 didn't have a locked bootloader on any carrier except for VZW (from what I read). Either way, people with a Rezound aren't being threatened with contract cancellation, or whatever they're doing. (This is why we need an Android friendly cell service provider)

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid
  4. zomnomnombie

zomnomnombie Active Member

Read my subsequent post.
  5. cobravnm13

I did. Even though they say "from manufacturer's specifications," the manufacturer is the one supplying the unlock tool. Not the modding community. So it technically still falls under "manny specs." At least, it does in my opinion.

6. zomnomnombie

The modding community is providing the custom kernels not the manufacturer. The manufacturer can unlock the bootloader but notice how that voids your warranty.

It's lip service. They can release all their proprietary drivers if they wanted but if Verizon only wants you to use signed radios they can terminate you if you change them. Verizon has final say on everything.
  7. themuttt

themuttt New Member

for custom kernel, probably, but it would be a hard sell on an unlocked bootloader from the manufacturer. Add to that the fact that there are several phones with unlocked bootloaders allowed on the network as it is, are they really going to kick all of those people off now that moto wants to unlock their phone? Lastly, VZW is condoning the use of the GSIII developer phone on their network, bought directly from Samsung, on their network. Are they prepared to pay Samsung for the phones they produced that can no longer be used on the network?
  8. cobravnm13

Ok, I know bringing this up is getting old, but what about the Droid 1? You were able to do ANYTHING to that device, but it didn't affect the network like VZW says it will. And they still allowed it without threatening cancellation. What's so different between then and now? Besides more customers, 4G, and screwing it's customers even more?

Edit: the only negative affect to the network I see is keeping people from upgrading to a new device. Their top priority should be to keep the customer happy. And that should include keeping our devices completely open.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  9. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

Things were a little different with the original Droid. Motorola and Verizon wanted to lock the bootloader down, but there wasn't enough time to get everything done before the time they wanted to release it. Plus, Google wanted things open since it was the first device to launch with Android 2.0. The Milestone, the GSM version of the original Droid, did launch with a locked down bootloader since they had more time before release and didn't have the same pressure from Google.
  10. cobravnm13

But it didn't negatively affect the network. The only thing that happened was inexperienced people bricking their devices. And then we got recovery images which allowed for a full recovery. The further we went along with the Android game, the more experience we gained and knowledge learned, therefore bricking happens less. But, since the introduction of bootloaders (even though they were planned from day one), bricking became easier. Lack of bootloaders allows for easier recovery. I still don't see how it negatively impacts the network. I don't see how modding our phones is bad.

11. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

I'm not saying that it negatively impacts the network, just that using the unlocked state of the original Droid isn't the best example in regards to Verizon allowing unlocked devices and not threatening to cancel. They only allowed the original Droid to be unlocked out of necessity. They would have locked it up if they could have.

However, the shear number of original Droids that were and still are active on the network is definitely a good example of how unlocked devices don't hurt the network.
  12. cobravnm13

Wouldn't there be a way to keep VZW from "pinging" our device and finding out if we have changed things around?

13. cobravnm13

I wasn't saying you said that, I'm quoting VZW when I say that. And yes, the number of D1s still active is astonishing and a great example of that.

14. MissionImprobable

MissionImprobable Well-Known Member

As others have said it's quite interesting that VZ will disconnect you for unlocking Moto devices, yet you can have a dev edition Samsung or an unlocked HTC handset. Seems like grounds for a class-action suit, though of course I doubt that there are enough people willing to sign on for that or too many lawyers who would see it as being worthwhile. Strange that Moto would put up with it because regular users could care less; it's those of us who mod our phones who are interested and this basically makes Moto's unlock tool a useless item. I'm sure devs will find a way to exploit this and make something happen, but Moto is making itself look like VZ's play thing.
  15. zomnomnombie

I'm not arguing that it makes sense nor am I in favor of it. I'm just saying that if Verizon wants to they can. They are not required or are they limited to do any one particular thing. And they can do different things. It's in the contract and they own the business.

It's called a free market. You get the benefits of other carriers but you have to deal with their crap when they have crap.
  16. themuttt

themuttt New Member

Again with the free market, they can do it, but it could become a PR nightmare. Plenty of sites like this would pick it up start the whole thing rolling, then it would hit sites like CNN and it would really get going. I still say it is a scare tactic
  17. robert70

robert70 New Member

Thank you Syndicate!! Now I get it,, that's kind of what I was thinking, bit wanted to make sure I was right.

Sent from my wicked sharp razr!
  18. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

But it is also a good example of how it negatively affects Verizon's pocket. They can't force you into their shared data plans if you keep your unlocked phone 4 years after your contract has expired. This whole deal is about money. Not to mention, we have always paid a "subsidized" price for a new phone. $200 upfront for a $600 phone, but part of our monthly payment over 24 months pays the other $400. If you keep a phone longer than 24 months without upgrading then you are over paying for your service because part of that payment is going towards that new subsidized phone that you NEVER purchased. If Verizon can keep phones locked, then they can force people who want the newest OS to upgrade. This way they can still charge the same monthly fee and get you off of unlimited data and into a tiered/shared data plan.

Sent from my unlocked GTab 2 running CM10
  19. zomnomnombie

This.

They only care about the network being negatively impacted if it hurts their profits.
  20. cobravnm13

Like I said before, it'll keep me from upgrading. That's why they say that bull.

Search tags for this page

how do i unlock my droid x

how do i unlock my verizon droid x
how to unlock a droid x
how to unlock a motorola droid x

how to unlock droid x

how to unlock motorola droid x

how to unlock my droid x

how to unlock verizon motorola droid x

unlock droid x

unlock motorola droid x