[Breaking] Droid 4 Launch postponed until February?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Screen-Shot-2011-12-21-at-10.31.47-PM-660x407.jpg

Say it isn't so. Could the Motorola Droid 4 be indefinitely postponed until February? According to VBuzz yes it has. A December 22nd rumored launch has been floating around for some time now; however, according to this document that hit VZBuzz's inbox, the new launch looks to be February 2, 2012.

As with anything this should be taken with the proverbial grain-of-salt because these types of docs have made their way around the internet plenty of times before with other highly anticipated devices *cough* Verizon Galaxy Nexus *cough*. This isn't great news/rumor for some, but it does stand to reason that Verizon would wait until next year to release some new hardware. It's been quite a busy month for them.

Stay tuned!

Source: VZBuzz

Last edited by a moderator:

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe we'll see the D4 release with ICS then??!!

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Maybe we'll see the D4 release with ICS then??!!

That would be cool, but with Motorola's track record with devices releasing with the newest Android OS, it seems like wishful thinking.

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
by then the d4 may lose some steam. With 2nd gen lte devices being released along with next years tech I can see many passing on the d4.

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I would start really saying uh-oh if this is true.

This could mean some real problems with existing 4g lte radios as all of them have been experiencing problems in one way or another and anymore releases could be held off until it is fixed.

VZW is really starting to get a black eye with all of the data problems being experienced.

Does anybody know of anymore releases that were supposed to happen and are still going through?

I really hope that I am wrong in this line of thought.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With all the reported problems / signal issues the GN seems to be having, would you really want to release another LTE device before the bugs get worked out?

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
That would be cool, but with Motorola's track record with devices releasing with the newest Android OS, it seems like wishful thinking.

FWIW the DROID line has always had the current android OS on it.

D1: 2.0
D2: 2.2
D3: 2.3

Maybe the reason for its delay is vzw and moto would rather have it keep up this tradition and launch with 4.0?

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
With all the reported problems / signal issues the GN seems to be having, would you really want to release another LTE device before the bugs get worked out?

I am more worried about getting stuck with a "virtual brick" if the standards change in some way that doesn't fix current hardware but improves future ones.. will verizon upgrade me to a new gnex with a "new 4g standard" radio. So much for the "LTE" part of it if it is true at least for the current radios that are out there.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
FWIW the DROID line has always had the current android OS on it.

D1: 2.0
D2: 2.2
D3: 2.3

Maybe the reason for its delay is vzw and moto would rather have it keep up this tradition and launch with 4.0?

The entire Motorola Droid line certainly hasn't always been released with the newest os. The Droid X and X2 are perfect examples. Don't get me wrong, I certainly hope it releases with ICS, I just wouldn't 100% just expect it to happen.

Last edited:
OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
The entire Motorola Droid line certainly hasn't been released with the newest os. The Droid X and X2 are perfect examples.
The X and X2 are not the "Original" Droid though :)

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
The entire Motorola Droid line certainly hasn't always been released with the newest os. The Droid X and X2 are perfect examples. Don't get me wrong, I certainly hope it releases with ICS, I just wouldn't 100% just expect it to happen.

True, but I wasn't talking about the rest of the Droids. Just the OG DROID line. Is that the right term?

I never really know how to address that line. All the other DROIDs have names at the end. Like the X line or the Incredible line, but the Keyboard DROID line is just DROID. Now that I think about it... outside of the D1-D4 has there ever been another DROID that had a keyboard?

EDIT:

DROID Pro DUH!

Last edited:

droid_mike

Reaction score
Well, it seems to me trying to release a phone 3 days before Christmas would be a ridiculous waste. I can see why they are moving it to a newer "fresh" release date.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
I just saw that you said "Motorola Droid line", which in my opinion, would mean all of the Motorola Droids. I see what your saying though, nonetheless.

KingLo

Reaction score
If they didn't launch it with ICS people would complain that it didn't have ICS. I say bravo Verizon, They're looking at the big picture. Why launch a droid upgrade this close to the last one and not give it the newest software. In the meantime they'll get rid of more of they're Droid 3 inventory. The only one who even know an upgrade is coming are people who visit sites like this, and we're in the small minority compared to the rest of the 80+ million Verizon subscribers.

by then the d4 may lose some steam. With 2nd gen lte devices being released along with next years tech I can see many passing on the d4.

If you want a hardware keyboard, You don't really have much of a choice. I'll take a hit on hardware for my keyboard. It's been a must for me every since I got the a LG voyager when they first came out.

Last edited: