brand new Droid

susie.q.79

Reaction score
got my lovely Motorola Droid on Tuesday. I'm pretty tech-savvy, but a few terms elude me.
What are roms?
What's GDE, rooted, and UD10 mean?
Should I have a task killer?
Thanks in advance.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
ROMS are different types of systems that u can put on your phone. Some have features that others dont. Most will have their own unique look n feel. Along with ROMS u will learn about kernels. U have to find a good ROM/kernel match if u decide to use a custom ROM.

GDE is a different type of home screen/launcher app.

Rooted is when u have total access to the phone's file system. There are also apps made specifically for rooted phones.

UD10 is a custom ROM.

U dont really need a task killer, but it depends. If u use one and it seems to be doing a good job, fine. Just compare how your phone acts/feels before and after u use one. There is an app that uses the Droids own task management: Auto Killer. U can check that out.

All of these answers can be answered in full here: Droid Hacking - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Just look around there and read, read, read. Then after you've read for a while, .....read some more. lol

Last edited:

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
got my lovely Motorola Droid on Tuesday. I'm pretty tech-savvy, but a few terms elude me.
What are roms?
What's GDE, rooted, and UD10 mean?
Should I have a task killer?
Thanks in advance.

Welcome, susie.q.79! Glad to have you with us! Make yourself at home and jump right in! I see jroc has already answered your questions. Everyone is here to help and learn! Reading the threads on the forum will only increase how much you enjoy that new Droid! The possibilities for customization are endless!

:welcome: