Brand New Droid user

Reaction score
New guy here and brand new Droid 2 user. So far I love the phone but have not had a lot of time to play with it, and I need help with the following:

1. How do you change texttones to a custom sound? I tried following a step of creating a "media" file connected to my computer, but still cant figure it out. I don't get why Motorola would not make this such a simple option.

2. How can I get better battery life? I've turned off WiFi which helped, but is there anymore ways to get full battery stability so I don't have to charge every night?

3. When I receive an incoming call, how can I remove the slider bar lock to I can just press answer, instead of having to slide the bar?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
New guy here and brand new Droid 2 user. So far I love the phone but have not had a lot of time to play with it, and I need help with the following:

1. How do you change texttones to a custom sound? I tried following a step of creating a "media" file connected to my computer, but still cant figure it out. I don't get why Motorola would not make this such a simple option.

settings, sound, phone ringtone. You should have an option of android system or select music

2. How can I get better battery life? I've turned off WiFi which helped, but is there anymore ways to get full battery stability so I don't have to charge every night?

turn off sync when not at use and settings battery manager you can uncheck background data. Now with background data off you will not be get twitter notifications and apps like the market will prompt you to turn it back on so you can use it.
3. When I receive an incoming call, how can I remove the slider bar lock to I can just press answer, instead of having to slide the bar?
this I believe there is an app in the market for that.

Welcome and my answer is in red.

Khiraji

Reaction score
Check out JuiceDefender in the market.

Coming from a dumbphone (non-smartphone), the way these little buggers use energy is a bit shocking at first (no pun intended). There is an extended battery available, which reportedly does wonders in terms of talk/play time, but the reality is if you're a medium to heavy user (streaming music, youtubing, lots of browsing on 3G, games, etc) you're going to burn through your battery in a day or less.

I'd highly recommend the docking station accessory. It's elegant and you can plunk your phone down in it whenever you need a charge - I find that when a Droid is charging via the wall adapter (not off a computer's USB port), it charges damn fast. Mine's been charging a little under an hour now and I'm at 90% (up from 20%). My old LG phone seemed to take bloody ages to charge fully.

Lenagainster

Reaction score
2. How can I get better battery life? I've turned off WiFi which helped, but is there anymore ways to get full battery stability so I don't have to charge every night........?
If you charged your phone overnight, and the next evening, your battery is down to 60% or less, will you stick it on the charger or not? Do you want to take the chance that the phone's battery will last another day? It would be better just to routinely charge the phone every night. That way you start the day with a full charge and won't have to worry so much about lasting all day and fussing with changing sync settings.
As far as WiFi, I have read in many threads that WiFi uses less power than 3G. I leave my WiFi enabled and have no battery issues.
Depending on how much I use my phone during the day, I'll have anywhere from 70% to 30% battery left at night. Even at 70%, I'll recharge.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
One option you have for extending your battery life is rooting your phone. Once rooted you can use overlclock apps such as SetCPU or my preference being Droid 2 Overclock. You don't HAVE to overclock your phone...but you can use these apps to set "profiles" which in my case....works like this.

Your D2 by default is a 1GHz or 1000MHz and it runs at that speed all the time. But with my phone....with my profiles set up....when my screen is off my phone runs at 300MHz....also when my battery hits 50% my phone caps out at 768MHz or something like that....point being....my phone slows down as my battery drains to increase life of charge....also when phone is not in use it slows to a crawl to extend life.

just a thought.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I use no lock to get rid of the slide lock.

As far as battery life, it's a mini computer. You wouldn't expect your laptop to go all day without charging.

Khiraji

Reaction score
One option you have for extending your battery life is rooting your phone. Once rooted you can use overlclock apps such as SetCPU or my preference being Droid 2 Overclock. You don't HAVE to overclock your phone...but you can use these apps to set "profiles" which in my case....works like this.

Your D2 by default is a 1GHz or 1000MHz and it runs at that speed all the time. But with my phone....with my profiles set up....when my screen is off my phone runs at 300MHz....also when my battery hits 50% my phone caps out at 768MHz or something like that....point being....my phone slows down as my battery drains to increase life of charge....also when phone is not in use it slows to a crawl to extend life.

just a thought.

Ooo, I like this is idea. Will definitely play around with SetCPU.

Reaction score
I don't think the droid 2 is constantly running at its max clock speed 24/7 when unrooted. I was always under the impression that it underclocked depending on what you were doing on the phone or if the screen was off, etc.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App