Brand New Droid... newb!

Stacs1214

Reaction score
Well I got my droid and fully intended to trade it in for the Eris, but decided to give it a try! I am excited and hopeful yet very scared. I am brand new to smartphones.

Still trying how to even get the screen to flash on when I want to check messages.. just touching the screen doesn't do it.. ideas?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome!
Don't be overwhelmed, there's a lot to adjust to with the Droid, even coming from other smart phones. Don't be afraid to ask!

The screen by default, has to be woken up with the power button, and then the slide to unlock. (There are apps to bypass this 'slide' to unlock screen.... search for "myLock" in the forums :))

There are two ways to have the screen 'wake up' when you receive a message.
1) Handcent SMS - app in the Market, has setting for pop-up. A quick search of Handcent in the forums will give you all the info you need :)
2) SMS Pop-Up - another app, that integrates with the stock Messaging, and will 'wake' the screen when receiving a message. There are also threads on this.

OP
S

Stacs1214

Reaction score
Thank you for the information!I am loving the phone.. just need to figure stuff out.

shademar

Reaction score
Hey Stacs, welcome to the forum and good luck with your phone! If you have any questions or want recommendations for particular functions, feel free to ask. :D

job

Reaction score
New and love all other functions, but I'm having terrible voice muting problems during every call. The issue is regardless of how I hold the phone. Considering returning for a different VZW smartphone. Please help.

shademar

Reaction score
New and love all other functions, but I'm having terrible voice muting problems during every call. The issue is regardless of how I hold the phone. Considering returning for a different VZW smartphone. Please help.

Hi Job,

I'd recommend first trying the 'improve call quality' step described in this post:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/8142-verizon-tech-here-ask-away.html

If you still have problems, exchange the phone as it could be hardware-related. I'd recommend at least trying one more droid if you're in your 30 day window as the exchange would be free. Exchanging models will cost 35$ and I think that they may not let you switch models again if you don't like what you end up with. (Eris would be the next closest thing to the droid.)

You could also try updating your preferred roaming list, in case you're in an area that this applies to. To do so, dial *228 and select option 2.
For more info, see: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/8209-update-your-prls.html

For what it's worth, others have described a similar problem but it seems to be pretty rare from what I've seen. Good luck!

OP
S

Stacs1214

Reaction score
Probably not the right place to ask this: sorry.. but I am trying to send pictures I took to my own email. I have tried using the email button and attaching the picture and I have tried the share option, but they are not coming into my inbox. Any suggestions? Also is there a way to view a 'sent folder' for text messages?
Thanks so much and feel free to redirect me to the proper thread.. : )

shademar

Reaction score
Hi Stacs,

I've had success going into the gallery, using 'share' and emailing them to myself at my own email addy (which it sounds like you're doing.) If the pics are full sized and you're in a low-connectivity region, they may take a while to show up, but they should get there. I just transfer by USB cable if my computer is anywhere near by and I need them instantaneously.

For text messages, I usually just open the 'Messenger' app, which keeps threaded history by contact. I hear the Handcent app is good for all things messenging related, but I haven't personally tried it.

Hope your problem got resolved, and good luck!