Boycott D3 (tired of bloatware)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What I do know from my fight is that you ae going after the wrong people. Its vzw's phone and vzw bloatware.

Some of that bloatware belongs to Motorola and even Google. Why not put pressure on all fronts? It's free and easy to do so.

Google has the ability to pressure manufacturers and carriers. This interesting article talks about Google's desire to get its partners in line with a better Android experience.

More places to complain
The FCC: FCC Consumer Complaints
Facebook: Remove Android Bloatware Group

Viva la resistance!

Because the buck stops with the carrier. Its the same argument made about unlocked bootloaders. If vzw say they want it locked down and loaded with software from companies they are getting kick back from then the oems are going to fulfill that order. The carrier has the final say so on what they will allow on their network. Google provides the software to build upon, the oems take that software and mold it so that it give their device a distinguishing look. Oems then offer to sell those devices to carriers. See whether people buy them or not the amount the carrier buys come out their pocket so its important they order enough to fulfill orders and have spares. To help drop the price vzw pays out of pocket they go to sponsors and promise them space if they pay x amount of dollars. Now this is where as a customer you should have a say so. After x amount of days an ota should be put out that allow users to remove trial apps that are beyond their trial basis.

Heelfan71

Reaction score
Its all about $$$. I would not mind it being there if we were allowed to delete it. Theses companies think if I am forced to look at their app (Blockbuster for example), that I will eventually use it??? Does anyone use VCast? People pay for ringtones? They need to be slapped. dancedroid

blackbelt27

Reaction score
Rez: Hi, my name is Rez. How may I help you?
Landon Miles: have you had a chance to play with a droid 3?
Rez: Yes, I did.
Landon Miles: im sure you noticed the abundance of apps you'll never use that came pre installed correct?
Rez: That is right.
Landon Miles: how do i uninstall them?
Rez: I apologize all preloaded applications are not removable.
Landon Miles: why not?
Rez: It comes with the design of the phone.
Rez: Would there be anything else?
Landon Miles: thats like buying a car and having a pineapple air freshener permanently on the rearview mirror, wood beads on the seat, and the radio stuck on the hispanic station
Landon Miles: if i buy myself a phone, i want it to be MY phone
Rez: I apologize but thank you for bringing that to our attention. I can send this suggestion to our Motorola Team Developer for review.
Rez: Would there be anything else?
Landon Miles: when should i expect an update to remove the crap-ware?
Rez: We don't have any information yes because we are going to take some reviews on this.
Rez: I mean yet.
Landon Miles: are you really gonna review it? or is that just what you are supposed to say? come on, i know you gotta know a few guys there, what to they say about all this?
Rez: If there is an option to that I could have given you the instructions how to.
Landon Miles: that didnt make any sense, where are you from?
Rez: Philippines but we supporting Motorola globally.
Landon Miles: ah outsourcing, and god i love Filipino eggrolls
Rez: Thanks. Would there be anything else about I can help you with about the Droid 3?
Landon Miles: how will i know the latest on this issue?
Rez: Please visit our website at
chat_hyperlink.png
http://www.motorola.com for updates or you can register your phone online to know the latest updates.
Landon Miles: thankyou that'll be all rez, i enjoyed our chat
Rez: Sure.
Rez: If you need any more information get in touch. Thanks from Motorola, bye!
Rez has disconnected.

I used to work phone tech support and it's people like you that made me loath the job. The fact you posted that with a sense of pride as someone just said shows your age. I'd say more but don't want to get in trouble. I really wouldn't act that way with someone who has access your account.

your lack of humor shows your age. i think you mistake my self confidence for arrogance. i didnt post that to say "whoooo hoooo look at me!" as you put it, it was simply to show nothings gonna be done about bloatware, its here to stay, just a natural part of a fresh operating system

straylight

Reaction score
WOW,

I just got the D3. I had no idea there were gonna cram 30 useless apps on this phone. (ok 28) but Hell thats ridiculous. RIDICULOUS.

haproot

Reaction score
I think this is a great thread, we should voice our concerns to Moto, if enough people complain, maybe the higher ups will take notice. And something may be done about it. Moto could just say to vzw: "No, we will not lock your apps on our device. We believe in the customer experience, etc, etc." Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

And I don't believe for one minute the device would cost more without it. You lock into a contract with VZW for 2 years, that's their $$$ maker right there.

bplewis24

Reaction score
the convo was merely meant to show that absolutely nothing is going to be done about bloatware

Like we didn't know that already?

You're free to call customer service all you want. I'm all for getting them to make bloatware removable. Just be respectful to people who are simply doing their job. It's not them who put the bloatware on, and they cannot do a thing about it.

Brandon

Last edited by a moderator:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have to agree to that. The hourly workers answering the phone have just as much control as we do. The way to get a response is to email vzw. They HAVE to respond to emails and most of the time you will get a call from a person looking to resolve your issue. They are just like you and I working a job. Now they want to do their job well, but like any worker if you make their day long and hard they not going to want to deal with you. If you are respectful and nice most of the time they will do what they can do to help. All they can do is send it to their superiors and they can send it up...and so on. But you have to look at it from a business stand point. It is a give and take thing and its a bout solutions. So if you present them a solution to dealing with this then they can have something to work with.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whoa. When people were saying it had a lot of bloatware I thought maybe like.. 10-12 apps? Not 28! Can't wait to get this stuff off.. Still, such an amazing phone.