Boy, sure would like an app to do this - fuel economy app

Discussion in 'Android App Developers' started by cyber3dx, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Nealius

Nealius Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I finally was able to get outside. Fired up the app and saw the 0-1 toggle with speed.

So now when I am driving, anything I should be looking for? can you explain the data I will be seeing.

also all the menu option are empty. guessing this is by design since we are in the beta stages.

2. iPirate

iPirate Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There are 5 bars. Acceleration, Braking, Current, Overall and Speed.

The Acceleration, Braking and Speed are judging your driving in real time and giving you a live score.

For both Acceleration and Braking you must accelerate or brake for these to "turn on" and start getting a score. Your score range is from 1 to 10, 1 is poor performance.

Speed looks at the speed you are traveling and judges your performance. You get docked points for going too fast or sitting idle.

Current is an average of the current active bars and Overall is running average for the last 50ish Current scores. Later this will be adjusted to average for a longer time, but I want to make sure it is working. :)

Menu is empty and currently a place holder. Also the reset button will not be there and another button might be added there.

What to look for: Look to see if the bars are judging your driving correctly. If you brake hard do you get a bad score? If you accelerate too fast, do you get a bad score? etc... The app should be judging the eco friendliness of your driving.

#38 iPirate, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  3. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    Ill be out working tomorrow, Ill give it a shot, and review when I get home tomorrow.

4. cyber3dx

cyber3dx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So, question first. overall score - at a stop light - will drop down to zero in about 8 seconds. Isn't this "overall" score supposed to reflect the entire drive period - rather than one stop light to the next stop light? For me, I would prefer having the overall score to reflect an entire drive or even tank to tank (or any period I choose actually).

Braking score seems just about right on for my setup.

Acceleration score may need more sensitivity for me.

Can the speed score reflect my actual speed?

Good work.

5. iPirate

iPirate Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Overall score is currently averaging a low # of results. I kept it that way so I could test the scoring. In the future it will reflect a full trip.

What car kind of car do you drive? I noticed the acceleration is fairly sensitive but I'm not updating often enough to capture the changes.

For the speed it is some what difficult to judge how eco friendly you are being. Sitting idle is bad because you burn gas and you are not moving, this lowers your score. Driving at a steady speed will keep your score good. If you drive too fast, it will lower your score. All engines increase in RPM as the speed is increased so this makes your car less efficient. This is also where different car profiles would come in useful. Some cars can get away with good gas mileage at 75mph but others wont.

6. Bob Dammit

Ratings:
    +17
    I'm about 79 miles into my trip. Hows this for real time testing? As I understand it, the higher your overall score is the better you are doing, and the lower your acceleration and braking scores are the better you are doing?
    So far, everything is moving up and down the graphs, but I'm still unsure how to interpret the data.

7. iPirate

iPirate Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For both Acceleration and Braking you must accelerate or brake for these to "turn on" and start getting a score. Your score range is from 1 to 10, 1 is poor performance.

8. Bob Dammit

Ratings:
    +17
    Ok, thats what I thought. For driving a truck, it isnt much of a help. I accelerate way too slow to get an accurate reading. The proof of concept is there, and it is an excellent idea. One thing I noticed though, is it doesnt work at all when the phone is oriented in portrait mode. I dont understand why, it shouldnt be calling on the sensors differently if the phone is in landscape vs portrait, should it?

9. iPirate

iPirate Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The acceleration must be greater than 1mile per second. I am able to easily track acceleration while walking so I believe it is sensitive enough for most cars/small trucks.

I know there are a few more solutions for this and I'm looking into them.

I like it best in landscape view, but I suppose some people might want to use it in portrait. I'll look into making it an option.

If you keep it in portrait now you will get a very poor score. The accelerometer is used to check if the driver is making "extreme" turns and will reduce the current score continuously if in portrait mode.

10. Bob Dammit

Ratings:
    +17
    Lol, I thought I was doing great with my score of 0.

I like the way it looks in landscape. In my truck, my phone rides in my cup holder though. A semi can be hell on electronics, especially hanging on the windshield in a mount.

11. Nealius

Nealius Member

Ratings:
    +1
    running at any speed maxs out the speed, at highway speed letting off to coast maxs out my braking.

12. iPirate

iPirate Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It shouldn't give 100% for any speed, if you went over 65mph you should see a lower score.

This makes sense I think... you are braking in the most eco friendly way.

I'm working on a new version that I've been using this weekend and I think it is doing a great job. I think I will try to add a few more features before releasing it but it is getting very close to going on the market IMO. :D

#48 iPirate, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
Search tags for this page
eco widget torque
eco widget torque app
eco widget torque problems
inaccurate mpg in torque for android
prius torque app
torque app eco widget
torque app mpg widget accuracy
torque app prius

torque eco widget