Boy, sure would like an app to do this - fuel economy app

OP
cyber3dx

cyber3dx

Reaction score
New Fuel Economy App

Wow, that was fast! I'll pm ya for a beta copy to help you debug it.

Device: Droid ("sholes")
Brand: verizon
Build: FRG01B

iPirate

Reaction score
I feel it is half working now so I can release a beta to a few more people to help with testing.

First, let me warn you that this is a beta, it isn't pretty but is currently setup to review the functionality. The layout is close to where things will be in the final but pictures/colors/fonts etc are not.

Second, it is a beta, one day I used 25% of my battery driving to work for 30 minutes. Thats the way life is. At some point the battery use will become acceptable but until then, the app might be a little power hungry.

Third, feedback. I cannot think of everything and feedback is always welcomed. If you don't like the colors because you can't see them (color blind) then let me know. I am not color blind and I'm not a lot of things so I can't experience everything. Feed back is wonderful!

The file is here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5961718/BeGreen/BeGreen.apk

The best way to help out is to use the app while driving and see if it is judging your driving correctly. Is it too nice? too harsh? Let me know what you think. It would also help if you post your vehicle.

iPirate

Reaction score
Current version doesn't display well enough that a typical user can understand it is working. I will fix it tonight and start including build #s.

On a good note the GPS didn't eat much of my battery!

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
iPirate, I drive a semi locally, and have the ability to cover 200-500 miles in a day, and can leave my phone on the charger. Are you looking for logs, or just overall impressions of the app? Im more than willing to give it a go, let me know.

iPirate

Reaction score
iPirate, I drive a semi locally, and have the ability to cover 200-500 miles in a day, and can leave my phone on the charger. Are you looking for logs, or just overall impressions of the app? Im more than willing to give it a go, let me know.

Just looking for overall impression.

Currently I need to make sure the equations for the Acceleration/Braking/Speed make sense. The reason I ask about the vehicle you drive is because I am planning to make "profiles" for different types of vehicles and change the ranges of values to better match those vehicles. Me accelerating at 2 miles per second might be a 7 or 8 but a semi doing that should get a 0 or 1.

I fixed the issue with not displaying values, you can download from the link above. I'm going to tweak it some more and give newer builds version names and link them.

this version works nicely!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5961718/BeGreen/BeGreenbeta.2.2.apk

Last edited:
OP
cyber3dx

cyber3dx

Reaction score
Oh boy, it's looking better and better everytime! Good work!

I still find the braking not accurate nor sensitive enough.

XxSinisteRxX

Reaction score
An app like this should be possible. I saw an app somewhere that was for vehicle diagnostic that utilized a bluetooth OB2 adapter that plugged into the vehicle.

The bluetooth adapter was fairly inexpensive.

I actually have a buddy that's using that setup in his Mitsu Lancer Evo X to log his Time Attack runs and it measures his speed, G's pulled, lap times, corner entry and exit speeds, allows him to measure just about everything and the GPS refresh rate with the external GPS unit is alot higher than the internal GPS provided with the phone. The application is called Trackmaster and it has other useful features as well. It IS a Paid app, but definitely worth the approx. $7-$8. There's also an app named Dynomaster that i have on my phone that measures several different things including lap times, 0-60 times, 0-100 times, G's pulled, and it even logs your tracks around whatever track your running on. Another cool feature is that it uses Google Maps to show you satellite images of the track your running on. Hope this helps a little. I sound like i'm trying to sell it or something..... lol my bad. :p :icon_eek:

Nealius

Reaction score
1 thing I noticed after opening it then closing it. My gps is still active after closing the app.

iPirate

Reaction score
Odd that hasn't happened to me yet.

How well did it judge your driving?

I am planning to add mapping and logging if it is something users would like to see

Nealius

Reaction score
Odd that hasn't happened to me yet.

How well did it judge your driving?

I am planning to add mapping and logging if it is something users would like to see

still stuck at work for 2 more hours. Will try then.

rebooting the phone turned off the gps

iPirate

Reaction score
You shouldn't gave to do that. A faster way if it gets stuck is to create a short cut to settings/ running services that way you can see them quickly and kill what you need to.

The app has kill code for the gps when leaving the app

Last edited: