Boy, sure would like an app to do this - fuel economy app

Discussion in 'Android App Developers' started by cyber3dx, Aug 2, 2010.

1. cyber3dx

cyber3dx New Member

It appears to me that the ECO rating can be deduced via the amplitude of stop and go driving biased by the frequency per mile.

We should be able to do that right?

Garmin ecoRoute Charts How “Green” Your Driving Is

[​IMG] Written by Christopher DeMorro
    Published on January 7th, 2010
    4 Comments
    Posted in Posted in Car hacks / Mods, Fuel economy

[​IMG]
    In one of Top Gear’s more infamous (and yet informative) vehicle tests, Jeremy Clarkson pitted a Toyota Prius against a BMW M3 to see which car could get better gas mileage. The catch was, the Prius had to drive as fast as it could, while all the M3 had to do was keep up with the hybrid. The end result was the Prius got 17.2 mpg, while the M3 got 19.4 mpg. The point, according to Clarkson, is that it isn’t what you drive, but how you drive.
    Now we can debate the merits of the video (posted below) all we want. But the point is, you can get decent mileage if you drive, well, gingerly. It isn’t easy, but Garmin, maker of GPS devices, has come up with a device called the ecoRoute hd. This device plugs into your car and calculates just how green you are driving, no matter what you are driving. It’s pretty cool, in a green, Big Brother sort of way.
    Read the rest of this entry »
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. silvasrt4

silvasrt4 New Member

mileage is free on the market and gives ALOT of driving stats
  3. cyber3dx

cyber3dx New Member

Thanks for the link. "Mileage" however, is really just a mileage/fill up log. It does not tell me how my driving style affects my gas consumption.

I would gladly pay for this app.
  4. silvasrt4

silvasrt4 New Member

Yea I see what your saying. But if you log your gas milage with diffednt driving patterns you will be able to see how your driving style affects your gas milage.
  5. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend New Member

Wouldn't you need to hook up your phone to your car just like the Garmin gadget? I mean, your phone can't just magically track your driving patterns. GPS isn't that accurate..
  6. cyber3dx

cyber3dx New Member

Really? I thought the Droid had a decent accelerometer? I can track movement of the phone with the Tricorder App and I have games that utilize the accelerometer. That should be more than enough. And I use Google Maps and that GPS is pretty darn accurate.
  7. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend New Member

The accelerometer tracks the phone's rotation. For it to use the accelerometer to track your driving, it'd probably need to be put in some kind of mechanism that would rotate it like the front wheels of the car or the steering wheel. I still think it would be more practical to just get the Garmin thingy.
  8. cyber3dx

cyber3dx New Member

9. SwiftLegend

SwiftLegend New Member

Alright, now I get what you're saying. Just got off a week cruise and missing people so much I'm sick =/ Taking me awhile to grab concepts. That app you posted could probably be a good base to start off of. I guess you would just have to implement a calculator that would do the same formula the Garmin device does and whaalaaa
  10. crspang

crspang New Member

An app like this should be possible. I saw an app somewhere that was for vehicle diagnostic that utilized a bluetooth OB2 adapter that plugged into the vehicle.

The bluetooth adapter was fairly inexpensive.
  11. iPirate

iPirate New Member

An app like this would be super easy to make.

Coming up with equations for those numbers is probably the most difficult part.
  12. iPirate

iPirate New Member

i have been thinking about this and i'll look into it this week
  13. cyber3dx

cyber3dx New Member

Awesome. I hope you can get the ball rolling.

I can just imagine popping the phone into the car dock and watching my lead foot eat all the money in my back pocket! woot
  14. iPirate

iPirate New Member

I should have some kind of beta by this weekend. :)
  15. iPirate

iPirate New Member

I have a working alpha... I would like some input on the way it calculates everything.

I am looking for less than 5 people that would like to help try it out. This is an alpha so it is only testing functionality... pm me if you would like to try it.
  16. cyber3dx

cyber3dx New Member

New Fuel Economy App

Wow, that was fast! I'll pm ya for a beta copy to help you debug it.

Device: Droid ("sholes")
    Brand: verizon
    Build: FRG01B
  17. iPirate

iPirate New Member

I feel it is half working now so I can release a beta to a few more people to help with testing.

First, let me warn you that this is a beta, it isn't pretty but is currently setup to review the functionality. The layout is close to where things will be in the final but pictures/colors/fonts etc are not.

Second, it is a beta, one day I used 25% of my battery driving to work for 30 minutes. Thats the way life is. At some point the battery use will become acceptable but until then, the app might be a little power hungry.

Third, feedback. I cannot think of everything and feedback is always welcomed. If you don't like the colors because you can't see them (color blind) then let me know. I am not color blind and I'm not a lot of things so I can't experience everything. Feed back is wonderful!

The file is here:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5961718/BeGreen/BeGreen.apk

The best way to help out is to use the app while driving and see if it is judging your driving correctly. Is it too nice? too harsh? Let me know what you think. It would also help if you post your vehicle.
  18. iPirate

iPirate New Member

Current version doesn't display well enough that a typical user can understand it is working. I will fix it tonight and start including build #s.

On a good note the GPS didn't eat much of my battery!
  19. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit DF Super Moderator

iPirate, I drive a semi locally, and have the ability to cover 200-500 miles in a day, and can leave my phone on the charger. Are you looking for logs, or just overall impressions of the app? Im more than willing to give it a go, let me know.
  20. iPirate

iPirate New Member

Just looking for overall impression.

Currently I need to make sure the equations for the Acceleration/Braking/Speed make sense. The reason I ask about the vehicle you drive is because I am planning to make "profiles" for different types of vehicles and change the ranges of values to better match those vehicles. Me accelerating at 2 miles per second might be a 7 or 8 but a semi doing that should get a 0 or 1.

I fixed the issue with not displaying values, you can download from the link above. I'm going to tweak it some more and give newer builds version names and link them.

this version works nicely!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5961718/BeGreen/BeGreenbeta.2.2.apk
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
Search tags for this page

eco widget torque

eco widget torque app
eco widget torque problems
fuel saving app for semi truck drivers
inaccurate mpg in torque for android
prius 2010 torque app
prius torque app
torque app eco widget