Bounty For Bootloader Bypass Recovery Or BL Unlock For VZW Note 3 Reaches $1750!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
images
images

The Verizon Galaxy Note 3 received a root method last night, but there is still no bootoloader unlock. There is however an ever growing bounty for the exploit that will either unlock the bootloader or bypass it and boot recovery. The bounty has reached $1750. The list of pledgers has become pretty long. It looks like there are quite a few users who are willing to put their money where their mouth is. There has been success on other Galaxy devices with unlocking the bootloader. The Galaxy S3 and Note 2 have each received casual root methods which included bootloader bypass and recoveries. Hopefully the Note 3 is being worked on by a capable developer. Bounties serve the purpose of drawing in developers who would not ordinarily work on devices for a certain carrier or devices of a certain brand. The promise of a reward is often enough to encourage devs to work on these devices that do not directly effect the particular device community that they are apart of. This can serve to help developers purchase more devices and hopefully unlock more bootloaders! If you want to get in on the action head over to the bounty thread below.

Via XDA

Batman8

Reaction score
I just rooted my Note 3 yesterday so first off "THANKS A MILLION" to the poster for the detailed instructions! I always feel like my phones are incomplete until rooted. However, I have always rooted all of my Android devices (from the OG Droid, Droid-X, Bionic, GS3, Note 2 and now Note 3) and I have never had to have an unlocked bootloader on any of them in order to make nandroid backups until my GS3. So is that still the case now with the Note 3? Does it HAVE to have an unlocked bootloader in order the make nandroid backups?

What I have found these days is...if you try without unlocking it first, you get soft bricked into a "boot loop" and can't get out of it without flashing...I hate that! So again, do we have to wait for an unlocked bootloader in order to make complete nandroid backups on the Note 3?

I know it's necessary by the way in order to use custom kernels but I have no concerns with that.

Thanks.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I just rooted my Note 3 yesterday so first off "THANKS A MILLION" to the poster for the detailed instructions! I always feel like my phones are incomplete until rooted. However, I have always rooted all of my Android devices (from the OG Droid, Droid-X, Bionic, GS3, Note 2 and now Note 3) and I have never had to have an unlocked bootloader on any of them in order to make nandroid backups until my GS3. So is that still the case now with the Note 3? Does it HAVE to have an unlocked bootloader in order the make nandroid backups?

What I have found these days is...if you try without unlocking it first, you get soft bricked into a "boot loop" and can't get out of it without flashing...I hate that! So again, do we have to wait for an unlocked bootloader in order to make complete nandroid backups on the Note 3?

I know it's necessary by the way in order to use custom kernels but I have no concerns with that.

Thanks.

Yes you can make nandroids without an unlocked bootloader. You do however need a custom recovery which so far is not available.

Batman8

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Tgyberg! Hopefully with the bounty growing it will be unlocked or bypassed SOON.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Yes you can make nandroids without an unlocked bootloader. You do however need a custom recovery which so far is not available.

Don't you need to unlock the bootloader to install a custom recovery?

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Don't you need to unlock the bootloader to install a custom recovery?

No ..Actually Safestrap is working now for N3 ..it was recently release for our phone ..and they already have a deodexed stock ROM by beanstown ..

Here's the recovery thread
[RECOVERY LOCKED/MI9,MJ7] Safestrap Recovery v3.63 [2013-11-07]
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2517610
[RECOVERY LOCKED/MI9,MJ7] Safestrap Recovery v3.63 [2013-11-07]

N3 tapa

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is becoming a pain. I've been holding out for the Dev edition to avoid issues with taking updates because of changes I've made. Turns out will be necessary anyway as I'm wanting to run AOSP Roms, but it's taking a lot of work to get the original images that everyone is needing before beginning any work to get true development underway. Sucks having to jump through all these extra hoops to make things happen for this phone but it will definitely be worthwhile. Samsung devices and the HTC One are the only devices getting large-scale development on VZ. Some others have a number of Roms but I'm not going to run around with a phone with a non-functional camera and other broken hardware. Even the Moto X Dev edition has next to nothing happening with it.