Bought the extended battery...BATTERY LIFE STILL NO GOOD

S

scrub175

ANOTHER UPDATE, THIS TIME ITS TERRIBLE

As i had stated earlier, my battery was at 50% at 10am. It thereafter started to drain quickly and by 1130am it completely died and shut down. At around 10 am i download some of the apps i had previously: backgrounds, barcode scanner, compass, dictionary.com, imdb, droid light, google earth, google translate, rare black wallpapers, and espn scorecenter. I did not activate or open ANY of them, just dled and installed.

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE!??

Google earth killz a battery. installed then unistalled.

I tried the ext battery all day yesterday and it wasn't so good. But as stated above my phone was "running" 100%. I found the culprit(s) and my Running percentage is dropping. Today's battery life is much improved. So mess around with it. The key is not having the running percentage so high. This phone is very tempermental about background apps and sleep mode. Most of this may have been discussed sorry for any repeat of info.

I disconnected this am at aroun 5:50 am edt and currently have 70% battery with 52.4% battery running at 12:49 pm edt. that's tons of texts and listening to music with the native music player pretty much all day today.

OP
O

outkastragtop

Reaction score
I just dialed *#4636#*#*...it says running is 100% and screen on is also 100%.

Saqs

Reaction score
Mine is doing better today. 70% after 6 hours. This time yesterday it was almost dead. Weird ass phone.

Rishi P

Reaction score
i think basically just keep it minmal to downloading apps....thats what i'm diong atleast...i jus have a few apps that i need, because i think all these apps are the main culprit

i'm also afraid of getting a virus or anything form faulty apps

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I play with my phone on and off all day at work and manage to leave with atleast 40% battery life. Thats after an hour or 2 of music, watching some bitbop tv, playing a few games (blow up, Lets Golf), and messing around on Facebook. Oh, I also txt (maybe 15-20 at work) and I might make 1-2 calls...

Sounds to me like either a run away app, or you guys are on your phones non stop for 6+ hours...

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Crap I am supposed to receive my extended battery in the mail today. So fully discharging the battery a few cycles has not improved battery life like it did for the original battery?

and again... You DO NOT have to "cycle" these batteries... Li Ion batteries do not have to be cycled, however; do not drain the battery past 5-10% or you will burn out the cells, just keep it charged.

Lipskin, i have only let it drain fully and recharge once...that was yesterday and im goin to try it again today.

I would venture to say that the extended battery is going to work we'll for most people...for those of us who have a major problem like myself, the effects of the extended battery are minimal.
Thats just not possible... adding an additional 400mah would give you an estimated 1-2 hours of heavy usage... saying you dont see a difference in the duration of your battery life with an upgraded battery means one of two things. A. You guys have no idea what you're doing or B. The battery is defective.

Just FYI, Froyo did slightly improve my standard battery life, so it may also help the extended battery as well.

May help? Really? Why wouldnt adding extra power increase the uptime?

WTF guys? I might come across as a prick for this, but seriously? :icon_eek:

cpjr

Reaction score
My battery would last approx. 8-10 hours with my normal use.

I bought the extended battery, installed "autostarts" which disables whatever you want from starting in the background when the phone is turned on or whenever else you specify (and works great) and changed all of my widgets and things like facebook to update every 4 hours or so, instead of every 1 hour. Also, I keep the GPS/WIFI off unless im using it.

With all that, in the same 8-10 hour period and the same approx usage - I am sitting at 60% or so battery left. After a 15 hour day I still have 30-40% battery left.

You guys need to learn how to tune your phones better.

PS- Now I understand it also depends alot on usage, but my point being there is no way your phone should be dead in 2 to 6 hours, etc etc.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
My battery would last approx. 8-10 hours with my normal use.

I bought the extended battery, installed "autostarts" which disables whatever you want from starting in the background when the phone is turned on or whenever else you specify (and works great) and changed all of my widgets and things like facebook to update every 4 hours or so, instead of every 1 hour. Also, I keep the GPS/WIFI off unless im using it.

With all that, in the same 8-10 hour period and the same approx usage - I am sitting at 60% or so battery left. After a 15 hour day I still have 30-40% battery left.

You guys need to learn how to tune your phones better.

PS- Now I understand it also depends alot on usage, but my point being there is no way your phone should be dead in 2 to 6 hours, etc etc.

Amen. :icon_ banana:

garath

Reaction score
and again... You DO NOT have to "cycle" these batteries... Li Ion batteries do not have to be cycled, however; do not drain the battery past 5-10% or you will burn out the cells, just keep it charged.

The Lithium ion batteries do not have to be cycled but all indications are the way the phone reads the range is calibrated by doing a full cycle or two. That's why you will see a more accurate reading of the battery after some time/cycles.

cpjr

Reaction score
And its my work phone, I make/receive about 50-60 phone calls a day on it.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

The Lithium ion batteries do not have to be cycled but all indications are the way the phone reads the range is calibrated by doing a full cycle or two. That's why you will see a more accurate reading of the battery after some time/cycles.

You're going to confuse them, stop it lol.

In a nut shell, do not cycle. Just use the phone, charge the phone, rinse and repeat.

Rsswga

Reaction score
for a phone that can do almost everything a laptop can do, 5 hours aint bad, but not on an extended battery

Rishi P

Reaction score

You're going to confuse them, stop it lol.

In a nut shell, do not cycle. Just use the phone, charge the phone, rinse and repeat.

**** i already cycled mine like 2 or 3 times...hopefully that didn't cause any damage

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dial *#*#4636#*#* and tell us what's happening.

Droid X users running 2.1 need to UNCHECK phone settings > location & security > use wireless networks, until they get 2.2

As long as you uncheck that setting (until you get the 2.2 update), you should be able to leave wifi and gps settings on. Wifi uses less power than 3G so you want to use it when you can. Gps is used by programs and then shut off so you can keep the setting on as long as you pay attention to what's using GPS: when done with Maps return to home screen, when done with Navigation choose Exit from the menu, config apps/widgets to use it responsibly.

However, it may not work for you so try:
-turn of GPS when done using
-turn off WIFI when done using
-reboot after charging
...all of this stuff shouldn't be necessary so hopefully the update will fix it.

samgovol

Reaction score
Extended battery

I now have the extended battery...i upgraded to the leaked 2.2 and I am getting excellent battery life. I got 13 Hours yesterday!