Bought Nexus on Ebay, need VZW Sim, no stores around.

Travis798

Reaction score
Hi guys.

So I bought a Nexus off of Ebay the other day so that I can replace my POS Droid X2 with a real phone. I know I will need a Sim card, but the closest VZW corporate store is about 75 miles from me. I'll be getting the phone on Thursday, and have to head to TX for work on Thursday as well, so no time to swing in the other direction to the "close" store.

Looking at my route to where I am headed, there is a VZW Corporate store in the town I am going to, but I'd like to get the phone up and running before then instead of spending the drive looking at my nice new (to me) paperweight. If I stopped at a VZW Authorized retailer such as Radio Shack, would they be able to hook me up with a SIM card without jacking my unlimited data? I've read that if you do get a SIM from them you have to pay for it, which I'm okay with as long as everything else would go smoothly.

stang64

Reaction score
You should be ok, all you are doing is swapping your current phone with another one. You're providing the phone and not getting it through Verizon so, you'll be able to keep your current plan as is.

OP
T

Travis798

Reaction score
Awesome. Everything I had read about it had people saying to make sure to go to a corporate store, and I wasn't sure if it was only because the SIM is free at a VZW store or if an authorized retailer couldn't give out a SIM without a renewal or new line of service or something.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
VZW corporate store will give you a free SIM, 3rd party stores I think charge maybe $15 or $20, not sure.

OP
T

Travis798

Reaction score
VZW corporate store will give you a free SIM, 3rd party stores I think charge maybe $15 or $20, not sure.

Thats about what I had gathered from reading, but wanted to be sure that was the only difference. With the price of fuel, it would actually be better for me to buy the SIM anyway, without factoring in my time constraints.

mysticalmalissa

Reaction score
If you call VZW and order one, it will change your data plan. I just found this out last week. My closest VZW corp. store is to far, so I had to buy one at a authorized retailer for $15 and it didnt bother my unlimited.

OP
T

Travis798

Reaction score
Just as an update for someone else that finds this post. I stopped at a vzw place in a wal mart and they said they could not give me a sim unless I buy a phone from them. They wouldn't even sell me one. I ended up stopping at another actual cellular store that was a vzw premium retailer, but not a corporate store, and they happily sold me a SIM for $10 and activated it for me. My unlimited Data is still fine, so everything worked out great.