Bought a droid 4 today - should i return it- please answer asap!

OP
L

la1481

Reaction score
Also if ice cream sandwich came out last nov, and the droid 4 came out in what February - why wasn't it already included on the phone or better yet upgraded by now - that's the big thing i don't get - i'm really gonna try to give this touch screen a go because it seems like my best bet is to exchange for the galaxy s3 - thanks again guys- this site rocks you have all been very helpful

Caesars

Reaction score
Both Motorola and Verizon are slow on upgrades, and no major incentive exists for Verizon (or any wireless company) to push new operating systems when the old ones are functional :(
Googorola MAXX

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Well, I think Motorola is making ICS available to their eligible devices in the order that they were released. Well that is not true either because Razr got theirs before Bionic. But Droid 4 is supposed to be getting theirs before August according to Moto's website. Of course, that can change also. Check out...

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

LaurelRaven

Reaction score
Also if ice cream sandwich came out last nov, and the droid 4 came out in what February - why wasn't it already included on the phone or better yet upgraded by now - that's the big thing i don't get

A lot of us don't get it, but it is actually pretty common with ICS it seems. There are a lot of us that theorize that there were some underlying issues with ICS that caused the delays we all experienced, though there is also the fact that Verizon tends to hold up the upgrade process.

Sent from my ICS Bionic

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Also if ice cream sandwich came out last nov, and the droid 4 came out in what February - why wasn't it already included on the phone or better yet upgraded by now - that's the big thing i don't get - i'm really gonna try to give this touch screen a go because it seems like my best bet is to exchange for the galaxy s3 - thanks again guys- this site rocks you have all been very helpful

Its not that simple. One Google releases the code, Motorola has to either attempt to merge it in to their current building system or start from scratch with ICS as the base and attempt to merge their motoblur code into it.

ICE had dramatic changes in code and source layout that were significantly greater than any other code change. It is a very difficult task upgrading a device from Gingerbread to ICS. ICS to Jelly Bean should be a much simpler jump.

Manufacturers plan their devices months in advance of them hitting the market and don't have the luxury of sitting around waiting for the next OS announcement and then the release from Google.

Currently I've seen/read of zero phones scheduled to launch with Jelly Bean. Eventually they will...but phones on the radar to come out soon are still ICS based. The Galaxy SIII will probably be upgraded to JB, but Samsung just recently started the SII line roll out of ICS. Working that same schedule should we expect another seven to eight months for JB to come to the SIII?

Buy your device for the features you want now and not on the "hope" of what it may do in the future. The future never arrives....because something newer/better/cooler is always "just around the corner".

If JB is a must...take the Droid 4 back and wait until a phone is released with Jelly Bean on it.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
- so will this phone ever get the new operating system and google now or no? If not what should i return it for at verizon - the people there werent very helpful today.

I don't think Android 4.0, or Ice CreamSandwich, has been released for that phone yet, but it will be very soon if not. It does not have Google Now, as that is on Android 4.1, or Jelly Bean. I don't know I'd the D4 is going to get it...i don't think anyone knows yet.

I'll clarify some things first then offer some suggestions.

-The Droid 4 will be updated to 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich.

-Google Now is a 4.1, Jelly Bean application.

-Motorola has not said anything regarding updates to 4.1. It seems as though they would but it's possible several phones could be left at 4.0.

Given this.

If a physical keyboard is absolutely necessary, stick with the Droid 4.

If 4.1 Google Now is worth the loss of a physical keyboard switch to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus, which is already running Jelly Bean. Or the Samsung Galaxy S3 which is due to get it relatively soon.

Many new devices are likely to launch this fall, most with 4.0, some with 4.1 and all likely to be running 4.1 at some point.

The RAZR/RAZR MAXX is likely to get Jelly Bean but there is a chance it may not.

It is hard to know whether the D4 will be getting jelly bean os or not. I lean more to the side that it won't. In the Droid News forum, there is a thread that lists the phones and tablets that will most likely get the jb os.

Well, I think Motorola is making ICS available to their eligible devices in the order that they were released. Well that is not true either because Razr got theirs before Bionic. But Droid 4 is supposed to be getting theirs before August according to Moto's website. Of course, that can change also. Check out...

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

Here's the link to the list of phones and tablets known to be getting Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...et-list-known-getting-updates-jelly-bean.html, and as you can see on that list, the RAZR/MAXX are getting Jelly Bean. Whether that list will be updated to include the D4 or not remains to be seen, but you can be sure the list will grow. I think the D4 has a good shot, since it is getting ICS according to Motorola's site. Also, it's not technically part of "the Razr Series", it did come out DURING the Razr Series releases (if you are speaking purely Razr and Razr MAXX), and technically it's virtually a clone of the Droid RAZR, with a keyboard and supporting hardware and code included.

The following is from Phone Arena:
"Taking into account that one handset (Droid RAZR MAXX) is priced higher than the other (Droid 4), one would assume that the processor hardware in one is going to be better than the other. However, that’s not the case as these two devices are powered by the same 1.2GHz dual-core TI OMAP 4430 processor. To sum it up, both perform equally to one another, as they’re capable of maintaining a consistent rate of responsiveness with almost all operations – albeit, they’re plagued by that darn choppy pinch zooming in the gallery.

In terms of memory capacity out of the box, the DROID RAZR MAXX has the upper hand, seeing that it has a 16GB microSD card, 8GB of internal storage, and 2.51GB reserved for apps. Conversely, the DROID 4 is outfitted with 8GB of storage with 2.36GB for apps – though, it can be supplemented further with a microSD card of some size."

This information above lends additional credibility that the D4 might make the list for Jelly Bean, but there's no guarantees.

This article claims the D4 has the best qwerty keyboard available, and I tend to agree Motorola Droid 4 still has the best QWERTY keyboard in town | Mobile Bloom News.

2012-02-1057dsc01615jt-600.jpg

Considering the D4 was released 2/10/12 AFTER the Droid RAZR (11/11/11), and considering that makes it a newer phone by 3 months against the Droid RAZR, I could see it getting Jelly Bean. Edit: The only thing I wonder, is whether having the code for the keyboard could actually make it somehow incompatible with the Jelly Bean OS.

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Here's the link to the list of phones and tablets known to be getting Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...et-list-known-getting-updates-jelly-bean.html, and as you can see on that list, the RAZR/MAXX are getting Jelly Bean. Whether that list will be updated to include the D4 or not remains to be seen, but you can be sure the list will grow. I think the D4 has a good shot, since it is getting ICS according to Motorola's site. Also, it's not technically part of "the Razr Series", it did come out DURING the Razr Series releases (if you are speaking purely Razr and Razr MAXX), and technically it's virtually a clone of the Droid RAZR, with a keyboard and supporting hardware and code included.

The following is from Phone Arena:
"Taking into account that one handset (Droid RAZR MAXX) is priced higher than the other (Droid 4), one would assume that the processor hardware in one is going to be better than the other. However, that’s not the case as these two devices are powered by the same 1.2GHz dual-core TI OMAP 4430 processor. To sum it up, both perform equally to one another, as they’re capable of maintaining a consistent rate of responsiveness with almost all operations – albeit, they’re plagued by that darn choppy pinch zooming in the gallery.

In terms of memory capacity out of the box, the DROID RAZR MAXX has the upper hand, seeing that it has a 16GB microSD card, 8GB of internal storage, and 2.51GB reserved for apps. Conversely, the DROID 4 is outfitted with 8GB of storage with 2.36GB for apps – though, it can be supplemented further with a microSD card of some size."

This information above lends additional credibility that the D4 might make the list for Jelly Bean, but there's no guarantees.

This article claims the D4 has the best qwerty keyboard available, and I tend to agree Motorola Droid 4 still has the best QWERTY keyboard in town | Mobile Bloom News.

2012-02-1057dsc01615jt-600.jpg

Considering the D4 was released 2/10/12 AFTER the Droid RAZR (11/11/11), and considering that makes it a newer phone by 3 months against the Droid RAZR, I could see it getting Jelly Bean. Edit: The only thing I wonder, is whether having the code for the keyboard could actually make it somehow incompatible with the Jelly Bean OS.
nah... its easy to patch anything razr related to the d4... did it with gb roms. eclipse ics...and cm10 alpha so far

OP
L

la1481

Reaction score
Seriously, thank you all, you have helped out a non techy savy, phone idiot... I think i'm going to return my phone tomorrow or tuesday for the galaxy s3.. I've always been a keyboard guy, first black berry, then droid 1 (even with it bubbling up and breaking all the time) but using this keyboard i'm just not a fan of the keys/placements- i am misspelling everything and touching the wrong keys - i'm actually having an easier time typing on the touch screen if i hold the phone sideways..

Also the galaxy s3 is almost guaranteed to get jellybean from the looks of it, droid 4 not so sure.. And besides that the phone seems about equal in with what i like, speed,battery and all that - so it seems i should just suck it up ,pay the restocking fee and get the galaxy s3 and be happy with it for 2 years.

Any major drawbacks for returning the d4 for the galaxy s3 - besides loss of keyboard?

myfishbear

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Seriously, thank you all, you have helped out a non techy savy, phone idiot... I think i'm going to return my phone tomorrow or tuesday for the galaxy s3.. I've always been a keyboard guy, first black berry, then droid 1 (even with it bubbling up and breaking all the time) but using this keyboard i'm just not a fan of the keys/placements- i am misspelling everything and touching the wrong keys - i'm actually having an easier time typing on the touch screen if i hold the phone sideways..

Also the galaxy s3 is almost guaranteed to get jellybean from the looks of it, droid 4 not so sure.. And besides that the phone seems about equal in with what i like, speed,battery and all that - so it seems i should just suck it up ,pay the restocking fee and get the galaxy s3 and be happy with it for 2 years.

Any major drawbacks for returning the d4 for the galaxy s3 - besides loss of keyboard?

S3 does have a nicer screen:)... software is software lol

Caesars

Reaction score
Possibly a restocking fee, I'm not sure how it works. Make sure you buy a case for the S3, it looks like a batch of defective phones may have been released (screens self cracking). Now if a bad batch exists, it's better to have a S3 with no scuff marks so the Non helpful Verizon rep can't say "you dropped it" lol.

The S3 is an awesome phone mate, congratulations on your purchase :).

Googorola MAXX

OP
L

la1481

Reaction score
Yeah if the reason i got the 4 was for the keyboard and i don't like it (or my fingers don't like the typing/placement) theres no reason really to not switch to the s3 especially if i want jellybean... Thanks again so much everyone.... BEST.MESSAGE. BOARD... EVER...

LaurelRaven

Reaction score
Here's the link to the list of phones and tablets known to be getting Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...et-list-known-getting-updates-jelly-bean.html

Reading that list, even knowing that it isn't complete and the Bionic could still be added, i can't stop the feeling of cold hate at the thought of RAZR getting Jelly Bean and not Bionic. If they pull that $#*¿, I'm going to be seriously pissed. I think I've been plenty patient with their crap so far, i don't know that i could stay cool with that.

Okay, rant over.

Sent from my ICS Bionic

OP
L

la1481

Reaction score
Went to verizon today to return my droid4 which i did but found out that NONE of my local stores have any galaxy 3s in stock so i'm without a phone for 2-3 days until it ships to me- but i think it'll ben worth it!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I think you will be happy with it. While you wait for your gs3 to arrive, shop for a case and screen protectors. The large & thin factor of the phone can make the screen a bit more delicate. You want to protect your new toy. I would give the same recommendation for all of the new larger phones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
L

la1481

Reaction score
What about the cases they sell at the store? I've heard the only small negative of the s3 is that the shell is thin and susceptible to damage if dropped- so i def need a cover as i drop all my gadgets once or twice while i own them.. I have the little flimsy screen covers that attach and stick on- that'll work i think for the screen? Yeah i'm excited for it and to be able to at least get jellybean at somepoint. Even the D4 keyboard wasn't cutting it for me and thats the whole reason i bought it - again you've all been super awesome- can't recommend this message board to enough people!