1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Bottom Line Is This A good Phone or Not

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by GT500427, Dec 4, 2009.

1. GT500427

GT500427 New Member

I was going to get the Droid the day it came out, but thought I would wait to see what other people think.

Is this just a toy or is it a real phone
  2. J-Buck

J-Buck New Member

Not made by fisher price so as for being a toy.. negative.

It makes calls so I would classify it as a "real phone" since thats what real phones do.
  3. GT500427

GT500427 New Member

well J-Buck thank for your useless input.
    I post here becouse I thought I would get a intelligent answer.

After owning LG, BlackBerrys, and currantly the Samsung Omnia all with there own major down falls ..

All I'm asking is for some basic input:

1 Do you like the phone
    2 Is the touch screen responsive
    3 Does the voice dialing respond properly
    4 Is the inside keyboard easy to use since it is not a rased keyboard

ect...

Being an older business man I'm trying to make a sound dession befor I buy several of thies phones.

Next time have some respect for what a form is really used for.
  4. noles200

noles200 New Member

1. Yes - am considering the turning it in though and getting the Eris for $100 less considering it will get a software update. If I don't do that I will be perfectly happy keeping this.
    2. Touch screen is very responsive and easy to use.
    3. Voice dialing is not that great but I never really used it on my Blackberry's either
    4. I find that after using the touch screen keyboard I've become very good with it and haven't opened the physical keyboard in over 10 days. As to your real question, I did find it harder to use than the keyboards on my BB's but that's just me. Many others love it.

Ultimately, you're the one that has to answer these questions but it is always good to hear from others.

Good luck. :)
  5. johnflo88

johnflo88 New Member

agree, and we the Droid community apologise on his behalf.:heart:
    @: GT500427
  6. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

Agree with the other responses but the only differing thing I can say is...I ONLY use the physical keyboard...well 95% of the time.

To me no virtual keyboard will ever be able to match the accuracy or speed of a physical keyboard..and the thing I love about the Droid's is how sleek and stealthy it is. It's not like a child's toy with big blocky buttons. Give it a day or two and you'll be flash with it.
  7. noles200

noles200 New Member

Good post Lord. Speaks perfectly to my last sentence in point 4 JK. While I like the touch keyboard, Lord like the slide out one. That's why you've got to try for yourself. You can't just try it for an hour though, you've got to put it through its paces over at least a week or two of hard use. You'll probably find you like one over the other and will soon be able to fly using your preferred method of text entry.
  8. buenos

buenos New Member

I too had a omnia, but no more. the Droid rocks for me.
    i've gone through many winmo phones, a few cool dumb phones too!
    i can honestly say, the droid (android) will be my phone platform of choice.
    Is the phone perfect, no, but what first gen (for verizon & Moto) is.
    You will love the extra screen size, touch screen, and even the keyboard is functional. The apps that keep coming out, keep improving the functionality of the phone and OS. I personally believe android will overtake winmo in the future...the future looks bright...
  9. UWSdroid

UWSdroid New Member

I had the HTC Eris Droid for 5 days... then returned it and picked this phone up (the Motorola Droid). YES... it's a serious phone.

It's also, in my opinion, a much more solid phone than the Eris. It's heavier... but I actually like that. And while i like the physical keyboard... the (horizontal) virtual keyboard is also awesome, and MUCH roomier than the one on the Eris.

If you're trying to choose between the two new Droid phones... speaking as a 30-something guy who enjoys pounding away on various apps for hours at a time... I'd suggest going with the Motorola. The calls sound great... service is solid... the screen resolution will blow you away... and it's all the same functionality. SO GLAD that I ultimately returned the HTC. Since I'll have the phone another 2 years, I may as well have the one with the faster processor, nicer camera (flash), better screen, and more memory storage. Right?
  10. Caindris

Caindris New Member

1. Having gone from a BlackBerry 8830 to the Droid I have to say for business work the Droid is by far my favorite phone. However people DO have issues with the exchange syncing. If you're using this to connect Exchange or do any business work I cannot stress enough CHECK WITH YOUR IT DEPARTMENT. It hasn't been out in the wild long enough and some policies do cause issues. Being that I'm the systems admin at my current employer, I fixed these issues to work with my Droid :D

2. The touch screen is very responsive. It stutters when screen switching or dragging something up so the iphone is smoother in that regard but it is nothing world stopping by any means. I very much like using the touchscreen keyboard in landscape mode to type, I find portrait mode a bit too cramped for my taste.

3. Can't comment, never used it. I did use the voice search to find some restraunts around town and save for some odd names it didn't understand it worked very well.

4. The keyboard, I find, is great. I was worried I wouldn't get much of a tactile feel for it but I was pleasantly surprised. If you're coming from a blackberry be prepared for a few raised eyebrows but again.. nothing show-stopping here.

Overall I can't recommend this phone enough for personal use and I think it will make a strong running in the business world (my understanding is it works flawlessly with companies that use Google Apps) but if your IT department hasn't tested it... well... you've been warned :)
  11. GT500427

GT500427 New Member

Thank for all the feed back ... I do appreciate it ... So I'm off to ge a new Droid
  12. johnflo88

johnflo88 New Member

very good for you and hope you enjoy your new toy.Don't forget to post and let us,who are in the same boat know what you think of the Droid.(pros and cons):icon_ banana:I am on my way to get my DROIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD:byeBB:
  13. J-Buck

J-Buck New Member

I didn't mean any disrespect. I was just joking, but you and the others took it the wrong way... Make sure you play round with it in the store to see if you really like it!
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  14. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Maybe a smiley would have helped your post out.;)

Anyway to the OP you've made a good decision. This phone blows the doors off the Blackberry Storm 2. You're going to love it.
    Being an older business man I'm trying to make a sound dession befor I buy several of thies phones.
  15. MikeDroid

MikeDroid New Member

Best phone on the market. Period.

To the person who asked if this was a 'serious' phone. Answer is yes. In fact it is the best smart phone I have ever owned.

I have owned
    - 3 Palm Treos with the last being a 755P (Good phone but now outdated)
    - 3 Blackberrys stating with Curve (8330), Curve (8900), and the Tour
    - A Iphone (can't believe that people actually put up with their ATT's service)

and now the Moto Droid.
    -Best Screen on the market.
    -Great Operating system that will be upgraded on 12/11
    -Great Apps with the library growing exponentially for Verizon will sell 1 million units by year end
    -Great 5MP Camera
    -Great Customer Service. I had a loose battery door, called them and it was replaced within 2 days.
  16. se7en11

se7en11 New Member

The Droid is most defiantly a good phone! Had mine for around a month now and simply love it - does not leave my side.

While it does have a couple issues, the fact that Verizon is sending down an update in less than a month after it was released tells me their dedicated to support this device and make it better. And with the next update to Android 2.1 coming next month, the phone is just going to get better.

I love the physical keyboard and agree with what someone else said about using it 95% of the time. (not a fan of the digital keyboards - even though the one on the phone works great)

Overall I would highly recommend this device!
  17. danhur

danhur New Member

great phone the droid

Ihave been using blackberrys and palm treos for years this in one month blows them away.
    I've gotten used to the screen keyboard and can fly with it. Having the pull out kb is nice but after a little practice you will be amazed.
    Voice search and voice dialing work great for me. I travel a lot and the car mount voice search and mapping are now mandatory for me now. Email was a problem for me when I got it. But the user community on here helped us all band together. The 3rd party apps are exploding and k9 email came to my rescue.