Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I NEVER go anywhere with my ringer on. Unless it's some long road trip. I can't stand people in public that have their phone set on what sounds like loud as hell in the middle of something. No one cares that you are getting a phone call. It's just a peeve of mine. It's not a knock on you.

So I don't want my phone to vibrate and ring at pretty much anytime. Either completely vibrate for everything or completely ring for everything (except at night, then I don't want to hear some Twitter update at 3am).

I didn't take it as a knock. Just giving my two cents on how I do things. Like I said, I turn it down when in certain places. When I am in a waiting room, for example, I DO use JUST vibrate. Movie theater, SILENT.

I feel like cell phones are commonplace enough [both my parents who're around 60 and semi-retired as well as my sister who's got some mental disabilities from epilepsy and brain surgery text me...], that a majority of people just ignore someone else's phone going off in public, depending on the location, but I do my best to be considerate of others.

Plus, I like to utilize the ability to set custom tones for certain people so I know who's calling without taking the phone from my pocket. As well, I keep the phone in the pouch that they gave me when I bought it, and more often than not, hit the volume key before removing the pouch from my pocket, so my pocket muffles the entire ring quite a bit AND it doesn't ring for long.

Now, when you're like my cousin and have a ridiculously long notification sound for texts, that annoys me. You just need something short like a beep or two [I still use the DROID sound...]

M

Matth3w

Well 75% of the time my phone sits on the hard wood desk in front of me, either at work or here, when I am home. Last month I sent or received over 2000 text messages. If I had to listen to that nails-on-chalk sound of the phone vibrating across the desk every time I got a text, notification, and email...I'd throw it out the window.

M

Matth3w

Now, when you're like my cousin and have a ridiculously long notification sound for texts, that annoys me. You just need something short like a beep or two [I still use the DROID sound...]
If I was in line or at a restaurant trying to have dinner with my wife, sitting next to you, and your phone made that Droid sound every time you got a text (assuming you were having a back and forth conversation with at least 3-4 texts coming in) I would get up and stab you with a spoon.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
If I was in line or at a restaurant trying to have dinner with my wife, sitting next to you, and your phone made that Droid sound every time you got a text (assuming you were having a back and forth conversation with at least 3-4 texts coming in) I would get up and stab you with a spoon.

Haha! Well, I do my best not to invoke people's urge to spoon me to death, so I tend to pay attention and I've never noticed my phone annoying anyone while having a back-and-forth conversation via text, but if I notice that a text has turned into a conversation, I turn the volume down more.

If I'm at home my phone is either on the arm of the couch, or I set it perpendicular on the pouch that I keep it in, so that the majority of the phone is on the pouch, but the speaker is slightly elevated. When it vibrates, I don't feel like it's that annoying, but that could be simply because of the pouch cushioning between the hard surfaces...

Perhaps this is just an age thing...[I'm sure you'll call it maturity.]

Either way, I respect your opinion, but enjoy my liberties as an American citizen. :icon_ devil:

OP
D

deolexrex

Reaction score
I don't know that I need something like "profiles", a couple other guys in the office have tried that solution and were less than impressed.

My main concern is this:

- I need to hear the phone ring when I'm sleeping
- I need to hear the alarm in the morning
- I DO NOT need to hear every email and message in the middle of the night

So, again, can this be done?

(I appreciate all the input thus far)

M

Matth3w

If that is your only concern, then yes. If you want a full vibrate on every function then not without editing the individual application settings and/or having it vibrate AND ring at all times (or at least vibrate when the phone is silent).

Either Night Ringer Pro or Quick Profiles can do this for you.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Thanks! I'll give it a try.

If you don't want to download an app, you can always just disable notifications or sounds or vibrate in your e-mail app and any other app, unless you DO want to hear them during the day, but DON'T at night, then one of those apps Matt suggested is your best bet.