Both Griffin Docks: Strange behavior

galletta

Reaction score
I have the Droid Maxx and bought both Griffin docks: one for home bedside, and one for the car. I actually like them but both have strange behavior and I don't understand what is wrong. I have the Jelly Bean 4.2.2 and have not gotten the stalled update yet.

Home dock: When I put the Maxx into the home dock, the alarm clock starts but the wallpaper is kept on the screen at full brightness while the dimmed alarm clock moves up and down. So I had to create a black wallpaper. This seems odd.

Car dock: When I put the Maxx into the car dock, I get the strange screen that says HELLO <my name> LET'S DRIVE! Then it has the blue word balloon and says OK GOOGLE NOW, REMIND ME TO PICK UP MILK. It then says "Say OK GOOGLE NOW, HELP ME for a list of commands." I did so and see that "NAVIGATE TO xxx" is one of the commands, as is "Play me songs from xxx." If I try "Navigate to xxx" it just does a google search. If I try "Play me songs from rihanna," it goes to a google play screen with a non-working button "choose how to play or buy..." A Google Play button allows me to see her songs that I've already purchased elsewhere, and no way to choose my music service (Amazon Cloud Player).

I think someone at Motorola screwed up when saying that the docks actually do anything useful, unless my phone has some bad settings. Any help would be highly appreciated.

doogald

Reaction score
Home dock: When I put the Maxx into the home dock, the alarm clock starts but the wallpaper is kept on the screen at full brightness while the dimmed alarm clock moves up and down. So I had to create a black wallpaper. This seems odd.

I don't have the dock, but this sounds a lot like Daydream mode. Settings->display->Daydream. There is control at the bottom that I believe tells the phone to go into Daydream mode when you dock it.

OP
G

galletta

Reaction score
I don't have the dock, but this sounds a lot like Daydream mode. Settings->display->Daydream. There is control at the bottom that I believe tells the phone to go into Daydream mode when you dock it.

Thanks, doogald. This is helpful regarding my home dock. For others, let me be more explicit. The choices for Daydream are ON or OFF at the top of the screen. There are several options for Daydream. The first option "DROID DREAM" was on and has choices of "when docked" "when charging" or "either." The settings for DROID DREAM are Night Mode (very dim) or off. But the wallpaper is still on, albeit a little fainter. Still super bright at 1 AM, though. I don't see any options to turn off wallpaper. If I turn off DROID DREAM and select CLOCK instead then it only shows the clock with black background. I will try tonight at home but doubt if it shows alarm time and temperature like the stock RAZR MAXX used to. Why wouldn't they just port the good applications from previous versions?

If there are any answers about my car dock, please let us all know!

OP
G

galletta

Reaction score
Car Dock Problem SOLVED!

To fix this, there is a quick and easy procedure. The problem was that the default application for navigation was not set. Assuming you want to use Google Maps, and you have your home location set, you can just say OK GOOGLE NOW - NAVIGATE HOME. It will ask you which app to use. I chose Maps, and then clicked "ALWAYS." From that point on, OK GOOGLE NOW - NAVIGATE TO <location> works all the time!

I hope this is useful. I tried to find a way to rename the thread to incude the word "SOLVED" but couldn't find a way.