Bootstrap Recovery questions

LittleBoxOfBombs

Reaction score
Awhile back I decided to finally install Fabolous' Ape.x ROM for my DX. Basically upon loading I found all my contacts of numbers I physically put in and ones that had been uploaded from my old phone, gone. This changed my disposition on roms and I was quite pissed so to speak. I decided to keep the rom but some of my data was lost. I don't have any recoveries prior to that day. I have one that I saved upon installing the Ape.x rom but it doesn't have my information. I accidentally booted this stupid point in time and saved over my most recent recovery. I want to get rid of this Ape.X Rom for good, have all my original contacts in there, not just my damn facebook ones and to find a good adw related launcher. I'm sorry if they're was a thread on here already like this but all they told me to do was boot to a recent recovery where things weren't messed up, well great but I can't do that. Please help.

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you didn't make a stock backup you can either sbf or use maderstcok to get back to stock. It wasn't the ROM's fault your contacts were lost, there are plenty of ways to keep them.

oakvad

Reaction score
Ya I'm not quite sure how you lost all your contacts, they should automatically back up to your google account unless you unchecked auto backup in your settings.
Settings>privacy, then check back up and auto restore

OP
L

LittleBoxOfBombs

Reaction score
So basically I was a noob to all this root process and setting it up. I successfully installed the root file a month or two back and used droid over clock, rom manager (until I realized it's bad), bootstrap, superusers permissions and terminal emulator (most major apps) in sync with rooting. I finally wanted a rom/theme; I went with ape.x. Upon installation I failed to realize I should have saved a recovery file prior to that day and the installation of Fabolous' ROM. Not only that I accidentally overwrote the file I had to this date with a new screwed up file of today's events. It's not necessarily screwed up, I say this because I am frustrated beyond belief with searching these forums and the internet. So I flashed back to that faithful ape.x day then overwrote today's file with that same file. STUPID STUPID. I know, either way I think I'd have to come to this solution at the end: maderstcok - OTA 2.3.340 update.zip. THAT'S WHERE I'M AT NOW. I downloaded z4Root, got some apps, installed ape.x properly but without any save points, I switched back between certain points to check my data. MY HOME KEY, SEARCH KEY AND LOCK BUTTON DO NOT WORK. They light up, they turn the screen on. They do not: go home, lock the screen or search. Seen this problem on a lot of other forums. I WANT ALL MY DAMN DATA....I WANT IT! Maderstcok is supposed to completely format but it did not. He says I have the option in their, I chose not to. Kill me, my mind is so numb from all this. Believe me if I would have taken the opportunity to read EVERYTHING AND ANYTHING if I had known I'd ever be in this damn position. I'm unrooted with a pointless version, with pointless apps and all my goddamn music is gone. I need help 100% need it. This is worse than a brick, it's just a phone to me and honestly wind knocking my papers over is more of an issue than calling anyone, but my countless files, information, settings and data are more important than both the paperweight and the phone option.

System Version: 2.3.340.MB810.V.en.US
Model:DX
Android Version: 2.2.1
Base VER: BP_C_01.09.07P
KernelL2.6.32.9
Build:vzw
ERI:5
PRL:52220

That's where I'm at with the maderstcok stock settings, with worthless home, search and lock keys.

WHAT I WANT:
My phone to be back to stock settings with or without root
A couple of guides about rooting and bootstrap working hand in hand
My Hardware buttons to f****** work..
My information and contacts to come back
Also, constructive criticism on ROMS, specifically ones with the longest battery levels, sleekest themes, easiest ui (ADW LauncherPro) and most importantly a rom best compatible with the droid overclock application bought off of the market. I want to do what all you people do, develop, hack and create. I'm itching to code, to create software/apps and themes people talk about on here. I want to be a part of all this so bad.

I'm going outside to smoke some pot and ponder about how much better it would be with music, oh and also about what I'm going to do with my phone..

1KDS

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
WHAT I WANT:
My phone to be back to stock settings with or without root
It should be most of the way there after maderstcok and a factory reset, to be absolutely fully stock run the sbf.

A couple of guides about rooting and bootstrap working hand in hand
RoOoLeR's Guide ROOT / UNROOT / BACKUP / ROM / SBF / OVERCLOCK
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/122025-how-use-droid-x-bootstrap.html

My Hardware buttons to f****** work..
If this happened on a nandroid backup and also after maderstcok it may be the buttons itself, either way an sbf will fix it if anything will

My information and contacts to come back
If you synced with google your contacts should come back, if you didn't you can look at backup assistant online if you used that service at some time, if not I'm not sure what to tell you, you wiped data during the ROM install

Also, constructive criticism on ROMS, specifically ones with the longest battery levels, sleekest themes, easiest ui (ADW LauncherPro) and most importantly a rom best compatible with the droid overclock application bought off of the market.
I like ApeX for a blur experience and Liberty or gummyJAR or rubiX Focused for a blurless, throw fission in there too. You can tweak all aspects of the device to conserve battery and increase performance.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I know this isn't what you want to hear but it wasnt the roms fault for any of the things that happened. A lot of this stuff is trial and error so always be sure to read up before you do anything and back up all your important data with titanium backup and google and be sure to follow all instructions as most roms with tell you how to install it.

Lastly, I love apex it is the best rom I have ever used because of how customizable it is! I like some of the blur features so that's why I stick with them. :D

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

jlewis74

Reaction score
You can back up your contacts to your SD card and then bring them back. Thats what I did as a back up to Google.