Bootscreen and unroot

OrneryPossum

Reaction score
First of all, I would like to thank the owners of this forum for providing such a great resource for simpletons like me to use. While in real life I'm an Air Force officer, when it comes to Android rooting/modifications/etc. I know close to nothing.

Before I begin, I would like to let you all know that I HAVE searched Google and this forum for answers to my problem. While I have found solutions that look promising, I am still not comfortable with them as many of these threads are from the September/October timeframe (i.e. they're OLD!)

Here is my situation:

I bought/rooted my phone back in September. I can't remember exactly how I did it, but it WAS through USB debugging mode and a command prompt on my PC. I believe I downloaded a series of Motorola drivers, etc. but my memory is hazy at best. I successfully rooted my phone (got the little Superuser Ninja listed under my applications) and apps that required root all worked. I never put any custom themes/images/etc. on my phone - I only used it for Wireless Tether.

Shortly after rooting I was having Star Wars envy and put the custom bootscreen and sounds on my phone from the R2D2 Droid 2.

Then.. everything was fine for several months. I accepted the OTA update from Verizon sometime in October? and I am running version 2.3.2.. with my phone still rooted.

Now, here's my problem:

My microphone AND external speaker have both stopped working on my phone two days ago and I need to return it to Verizon under its warranty. I understand that Verizon will NOT accept my phone if it is rooted and if tampering is evident (i.e. custom bootscreen).

My question is this:

What is the easiest/simplest way to unroot my phone and return it to the stock bootscreen and sound files? I don't want a Verizon technician looking at my phone and saying, "What is this?"

While rooting my phone has nothing to do with the hardware.. I know they'll look for ANY reason to deny my warranty claim. The fact that my external speaker and external microphone have died on this phone are HARDWARE issues that Motorola should be liable for.. and in its current state my phone is unusable for making calls (nobody can hear me) and I need a new one.

I hope someone in this forum can point me in the direction of the proper solution.

Again, I'm sorry for posting a question to a problem where there already may be an answer.. but I don't want to take any chances.

Thank you.

Edit: I CAN make calls.. but I have to use a bluetooth headset!

dbst

Reaction score
You could download z4root and there will be an unroot option you could use and if that doesn't work you would need to flash a sbf

Last edited: