1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Bootloop after installing

Discussion in 'Cyanogenmod' started by nitrosport_5, Jan 11, 2011.

1. nitrosport_5

nitrosport_5 New Member

I am new to this whole custom ROM thing, and ran into an issue after installing this custom rom. It would flash the bootloader, and it just kept looping that. So I tried an older version and it did the same thing. I also tried a different build and it would do the same thing. Is there somthing I am doing wrong? I used ROM manager to download the roms and clockworkmod recovery. Thanks for any help. Please don't be too harsh if I did somthing stupid, at least I was able to figure out how to recover my phone ha.
  2. xtremecanefan

xtremecanefan New Member

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to ROMs, pretty much just know what to do/not to do (and learned the hard way). But here it goes..

Only time I ever got a bootloop using ROM manager was an issue with the recovery version (2.5.0.1, most recent, works fine for me). Also if a OC'd kernal is to much for your phone it can cause boot loops (though i believe cyanogen uses the stock one).

Also, what phone are you using?

EDIT: Nvm says Droid 1 on your info there...need to read more :laugh:

Also since this is your first cyanogenmod rom install you should wipe all data (and of course back up) when you install.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  3. jerroedr

jerroedr New Member

i would recommend holding tight until furbearingmammal gets online. He is rescue squad and roams the cm area. He will be able to get you set up.
  4. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

I would point out that one problem a lot of folks had was trying to download and install from rom manager. If you have the ability to redownload the rom from your pc, try doing so, move to sd card and try a reflash. And it would help for further trobleshooting to list whether you wiped your phone, etc (the steps you did in completeness).

Craig
  5. nitrosport_5

nitrosport_5 New Member

The steps i took were

1) download rom and google apps on ROM Manager. I used the latest free version.. i want to say 6.0.12 or somthing.
    2)told it i wanted to reboot and backup/flash the phone
    3)let it flash. didnt wipe the data because i dont want to loose all my aps and numbers ect.
    4)let it boot and watched it loop

like i said i probably am doing this horribly wrong or making a very noob mistake. Ill try to download from my PC tonight after class and see where that gets me.
  6. Spyder RT

Spyder RT New Member

You won't lose the numbers. Those are stored on your google account. You probably won't lose the apps either, but it has happened to me. I always keep a titanium backup of my apps. I would bet money that after you do a data and cache wipe it will boot right up.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  7. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Nitro,

We were all newbs at some point. The information you provided will help. The other thing I forgot to ask was what rom were you running, or specify what operating system you were starting from (like frg83d, stock with root, etc.). It could have just been as simple as not wiping clean for the install (depending upon what you were running) or as I posted earlier that pesky problem where doing it in RM causes some folks issues.

In general, it is a great idea (as spyder noted) to have a backup plan for your apps, most folks use Titanium Backup from the market. There is a free version. Also as Spyder posted, you should have your apps available after a wipe once you sign back into google/market, but occasionaly folks have issues, hence the need for titanium. Things that you might loose will be having to resign into google/market/gmail, your pop3 email settings if you have one set up, your homescreen settings if not using a launcher with backup capabilities (like ADW and launcherpro) and other apps that have advanced settings.

Being new I would only add that this rom flashing is a process. The first step is of course backing up your current working rom. You got that step, it is the biggest, and is often times ignored. Also, even when installing from Rom manager it is a great (required?) idea to find the thread where the rom is listed on the forum/etc as a pc download and read the first post on installation. This will explain steps, whether wiping is necessary, etc. And the biggest help I could suggest is get used to wiping on every install, no matter what, at least at first while you get your head around how google stores your apps for reinstall, backing up you apps to troubleshoot installation issues, etc. Once you get app reinstallation nailed down, wiping will be easy, and you will avoid most new rom installation errors (not wiping).

Craig
  8. nitrosport_5

nitrosport_5 New Member

I am starting from a stock(i believe) rooted FRG22D build. This was what installed when i used the "Root droid 1 regardless of OS" or something along those lines. I just downloaded Titanium and am playing with that as i type this. dancedroid
  9. xtremecanefan

xtremecanefan New Member

I am not 100% but I am pretty sure you will need to do a wipe for it to work.
  10. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Yup, I would also say that not wiping from FRG22D is going to give all manner of headache.

And to expand a bit more on my previous thread, as it sounds like you are trying to understand and do the right things, the apps on your phone are stored in 2 locations on the phone(one on SD). /system/app and /data/app. The data for each app is stored in data/data.

If you do not have a File manager that will let you see the system files on the phone, that is the other program type that most rooted folks find beneficial. Many use Root Explorer or SUFBS. Titanium for backups, and a root explorer type program to see and manipulate the actual files by hand.

Craig
  11. nitrosport_5

nitrosport_5 New Member

Ah. great deal. I wiped the data and then installed Cyanogen 6.1.2 with ROMmanager and it worked like a champ. Had everything backed up with Titanium and now things are back the way they were.. but better. Thanks guys for the help. Now next time i need to do this i should be a bit more efficient!
  12. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Cool. Now that you have swallowed the worm and the hook, you get to swim around like the rest of us, dragging the bobber and the fisherman, getting drug in and running out the drag......

Craig
Search tags for this page

bootloop after installing cyanogenmod 11

cyanogenmod boot loop after install
cyanogenmod boot loop animation fix
diagnose cyanogen reboot loop
droid razr boot loop
droid x2 bootloop after installing custom recovery
how to fix boot loop after instal cyanogenmod 11
how to overcome bootloop in installing custom roms

how to solve boot loop after installing custom roms

htc one x loop problems after installing custom rom