Bootloader unlocked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Dang I should have read the last posts first. I just got so exited for the future of my D2.
I feel like I just lost a family pet :(

Because if you let people Rom their phones, they will have less reasons to upgrade their phone. No upgrade means no $$ in Motos pockets. If people can OC an OGDroid then why buy a Droid2?

noisufnoc

Reaction score
Dang I should have read the last posts first. I just got so exited for the future of my D2.

Because if you let people Rom their phones, they will have less reasons to upgrade their phone. No upgrade means no $$ in Motos pockets. If people can OC an OGDroid then why buy a Droid2?

Thats really only somewhat true. The new phones have better technology, crippled by software. Droid2 has a better proc and more RAM than Droid1, DroidX has a larger screen, and the new phones are coming with multiple cameras.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeyman

Reaction score

sucks that we force them to make a product that is better then their last, huh? lol

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
who knows if this is true, if it is awesome work, but somehow i doubt it is...but now this pretty much ensures that no future phone from motorola that's locked will have this exploit. essentially what's happened here is dx owners rejoice, and motorola locks down their next phones even more...so dx owners won the battle on a almost year old phone which is EOL, and motorola wins the war...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am not ready to rejoice yet. And I think all owners know in the back of our mind that as soon as it does go public moto will probably send out an ota to the carrier to close the exploit. The ota prob wont effect the 1% unless they have to do a warranty exchange. But it will keep the 99% from being able to try it. I do hope it is legit and they can do something about it. With that said Moto is bringing this on themselves. Why not just sell the key to unlock it and when you unlock it it removes blur and other apps that moto have rights to (ie swype, skpe, other apps). This protects moto's software while giving us an unlocked bootloader.

rkeller62

Reaction score
who knows if this is true, if it is awesome work, but somehow i doubt it is...but now this pretty much ensures that no future phone from motorola that's locked will have this exploit. essentially what's happened here is dx owners rejoice, and motorola locks down their next phones even more...so dx owners won the battle on a almost year old phone which is EOL, and motorola wins the war...

Motorola had already closed this supposed loophole. The Atrix 4G cannot not be unlocked using this exploit (if this truly is a valid exploit).

just4747

Reaction score
I asked nenolod in the IRC chat why all the devs think this is fake/non-working and he said because they don't know math/crypto well and that they have no idea what to look for.

He also said some people are saying "the crypto is so broken now that you can sign it with any key you like as long as it fits the modified elgamal model".

I asked him about the C&D they sent him and he said he wants to get it made into a screen-printed toilet paper roll and send Moto a roll haha.

So just passing on info but it seems like he wasn't BSing.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Motorola had already closed this supposed loophole. The Atrix 4G cannot not be unlocked using this exploit (if this truly is a valid exploit).

Ah ok, yeah so there you go. It's a great step for DX owners, if true, but really doesn't mean much for future offerings. Patching the bootloader should be a simple thing for them to implement.

I will say though, if this is true, the DX/D2/D2G's shelf life just went way up haha....

Last edited:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL

Thats really only somewhat true. The new phones have better technology, crippled by software. Droid2 has a better proc and more RAM than Droid1, DroidX has a larger screen, and the new phones are coming with multiple cameras.

Except if someone is happy with their phone, they have no need to get new hardware. I'm very happy with my DX. I see no reason to upgrade to a dual core. My Bro-in-law sees no reason to upgrade his Droid1. He likes it. I put a rom on it so he could run it at 1Ghz and is more than happy with it. I'm a huge techy, but at around $700 a pop for a phone off contract pricing, theres no way I could upgrade when I wnated. but if I could have access to do what I want with my phone, the want/need to upgrade goes away for a lot longer than if it stays locked down.

sucks that we force them to make a product that is better then their last, huh? lol

Just because a product is better than the last doesn't mean the last product suddenly becomes useless. Motorola purposefully creates products with end of life dates so they know they will be making more money on new contracts and people buying new phones. Locking it down ensures it even more. They stop updating the phones firmware so if you want or need the latest Android OS for something, you're screwed.

jdm627

Reaction score
The trick it will be not update any OTA upgrade directly.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Anyone rooted and with even one piece of motobloat phrozen/uninstalled will not be forced into updating :D

Its great that Moto is issuing a fix for their little security mistake, and it is just as great that their update procedure prevents most if not all of us from being affected

JWis

Reaction score
i created a twitter account just so i could follow this on twitter i keep checking like every 10 minutes for updates haha

Status
Not open for further replies.