Bootloader unlocked!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdm627

Reaction score
Simply means a custom recovery and system can be flashed. But a Rom on real? probably not soon

jdm627

Reaction score
Now that the keys have been leaked and truly custom Roms can be loaded, are you more likely to buy a Motorola smartphone o recommend?
I love my DX

tb110895

Reaction score
Heard this is fake but I'm really hoping its not
No more blur Motorola! More importantly, No more locked bootloader!

Sent from my DROID2

alershka

Reaction score
For those who haven't been following this, I'm going to attempt to paraphrase what I've come across.

Reading the information that was posted, the method to get these keys is similar to what was achieved with the PS3. In most encryption schemes there is a public key and a private key. Sony and Motorola did not populate the nonce values which made it trivial to calculate the private key.

The plan of attack will be: replace stock recovery with a signed version (using the signing keys) of a recovery like clockwork via a pushed SBF. Once that is in place, I am guessing that you would then be able to load roms and replace kernels via the signed clockwork.

In the case of the PS3, Sony has been scrambling but they are unable to close the door on this. They have not succeeded. I believe they are trying to add another layer of security on top of the existing compromised key.

In the case of Moto's phones, I have to believe we are in a better position because once we are rooted, we can no longer get OTA so it will be nearly impossible for them to address this. And since the Droid X is basically EOL, why would they continue to put resources against this. They already changed the lock down on the newer phones like the Atrix so it might be better for them to just walk away from this and try to save some face.

I just wanted to add that I am not a developer, I know a bit from reading and studying. I know just enough to be very dangerous so I will let the great development community out there run with this. I know they are already on top of this and I am really excited to see what we will be seeing in the upcoming weeks.

Last edited:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I hope for you DXers and D2/D2G guys that this turns out to work!! Very exciting stuff if it does.

echonaut

Reaction score
Just seen a tweet by Koush saying the keys are as real as Santa Claus...

DX Rubix v2.0.1
Thirdeye Themed

It's important to note that Koush does not have proof that it's fake just as much as these other people working on this doe not have proof that it's real. His tweet on the ClockworkMod account reeks more of incredulity than it does of actual fact. It seems about the obvious response to something as monumental as what's been announced.

That being said, we should hopefully find out today if it's true or not.

echonaut

Reaction score
Simply means a custom recovery and system can be flashed. But a Rom on real? probably not soon

I don't know about that. Considering the state of current custom ROMs on the DX, it doesn't seem to me to be too much of a stretch to have, say, Liberty booted with a custom kernel just as soon as you can slap one in there.

If this whole song and dance does turn out to be real, however, the question as to when we might have CyanogenMod on the DX, though, would probably be answered with "quite a while."

MrKleen

Reaction score
Just seen a tweet by Koush saying the keys are as real as Santa Claus...

DX Rubix v2.0.1
Thirdeye Themed

It's important to note that Koush does not have proof that it's fake just as much as these other people working on this doe not have proof that it's real. His tweet on the ClockworkMod account reeks more of incredulity than it does of actual fact. It seems about the obvious response to something as monumental as what's been announced.

That being said, we should hopefully find out today if it's true or not.

However Koush is the one person I would believe over anyone else. If he thinks this is fake then I have to believe him.

I will continue to dream of a miracle but I won't be holding my breath.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Ok I merged all the bootloader/keys threads for the DX into one. Lets keep all the talk in this one thread going forward.

Thanks!!

andylulzyou

Reaction score
Koush provided a custom recovery image but also said that keys were a farce and it seems as though Birdman confirmed that
Actually the tweet from _birdman_ was that they were legit.

https://twitter.com/_mrbirdman_/status/49660787022770176

I had my friend verify nenolods process. He says it spit out the keys. Let me confirm before we get too happy tho.

Do you know how to use Twitter? That tweet was clearly before the one I posted. Still hoping for the best however.

bigjj44

Reaction score
dumb question. i have my x rooted and clocked and running liberty 1.5, diggin it. it is quick and has ok battery life. what does this unlocking mean in lame man terms. if there are custom roms and kernals what does it do in the performance side? is it like having everything in one place? again stupid question, i know.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
dumb question. i have my x rooted and clocked and running liberty 1.5, diggin it. it is quick and has ok battery life. what does this unlocking mean in lame man terms. if there are custom roms and kernals what does it do in the performance side? is it like having everything in one place? again stupid question, i know.

It means being able to modify the framework and have truly custom ROMs and kernels like on the D1. More options than what you have now basically.

pkbest

Reaction score

That means we can compile faster kernels that make the phone operate more efficiently, basically, we will be like D1.. you know.. CM7 rom, and LiquidGB (hopefully).

Personally, with the people saying it's fake, I am doing my research on what has been "cracked" with some guys here at the base. I work for the DoD in Cyber Security so, if anyone, my counterparts should be able to figure out how legit this is. Also, motorola legal got involved pretty fast. Motorola would care less if it was fake...

Status
Not open for further replies.