dxgeek35

Reaction score
What's s-on or s-off mean?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
combatmedic870

combatmedic870

Reaction score
S-on = a locked phone, can't root it. S-off = an unlocked phone that can have custom roms. The S part is specific to HTC.

This post is Incredible 2!

Dont forget the most important part, custom kernels!!!!!!!!:hail:

This will make a phone that eats a battery by lunch time, last ALL day(IE: Thunderbolt)

hoboX10

Reaction score
I have some questions about rooting:

1. Is there any other benefit to rooting besides the fact that you can install custom ROM's?

2. If I rooted my Rezound when I get it, can I enable/disable 4G like the Evo 4G has from Sprint? (This is assuming Verizon doesn't already have a widget for it. I don't think they do but I may be wrong... I also heard you can disable it in settings menus but that's annoying to go through EVERY time.)

OP
combatmedic870

combatmedic870

Reaction score
it will have a widget.

see post 5 about custom kernels. Custom kernels is what saved the thunderbolt battery life!

bigdad63

Reaction score
Good catch on that great news! Wonder where the Resound love is?

OP
combatmedic870

combatmedic870

Reaction score
no, roms usually use a specific kernel that they have with the rom that will improve battery life and power and speed.

but for example tiamat makes alot of kernels for alot of different phones and you just flash them like you would a rom.

redsox 98

Reaction score
So pardon my ignorance as I have droidx for now. So this phone has an unlocked bootloader? and root? So custom kernels will be here on release day huh?

edit: droid-life says that they can not confirm bootloader status, is that dated info?

compchick813

Reaction score
So pardon my ignorance as I have droidx for now. So this phone has an unlocked bootloader? and root? So custom kernels will be here on release day huh?

edit: droid-life says that they can not confirm bootloader status, is that dated info?

I have a droid x as well but my understanding is that s-off gets us full root and unlocks the bootloader. That would make custom kernels possible.

Sent from my HP Touchpad running CM7

OP
combatmedic870

combatmedic870

Reaction score

the ability for someone to make a custom kernel will be, but the phone isnt out yet...gotta wait for developers to make em first.....well also have to wait for htc to release the kernel source....