Bootloader? Encrypted or not?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by sbenson, Oct 27, 2011.

1. sbenson

sbenson New Member

Knowing Verizon's track record with Android devices, the bootloader is one of the last major questions a lot of us have about this device. Sure it's a Nexus device, and that by itself should ensure that the device is dev friendly. But, unfortunately there's still a lot of doubt regarding this phone and Verizon allowing it to be unlocked and running rampant on their network. What do you guys and gals think? I was considering contacting Verizon, Google, and Samsung to see if I could get confirmation. Does anyone know who to contact?

Edit: And just to clarify, I'm aware that in the past Samsung devices have had "friendly" bootloaders. Lets just hope Verizon let them stay that way :)
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. akhenax

akhenax Well-Known Member

I don't think Google Experience phones have locked bootloaders.
  3. sbenson

sbenson New Member

I agree. I'm on the side that thinks this will be fully unlocked and untouched by Verizon.

But still the paranoia is running rampant throughout the Nexus threads.
  4. droidaddict101

droidaddict101 New Member

Yeah its definently completely unlocked and ready to go

Edit: Maybe I shouldn't say definitely but I thought that was the deal with nexus phones and what I had been hearing this whole time
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  5. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, isn't Moto the only donut hole on VZW that encrypts the bootloaders?
  6. sbenson

sbenson New Member

I'm pretty sure that's the case. I'm just looking for 100% confirmation. Too many people sounding off about this - put a bit of doubt in the back of my mind. An encrypted bootloader would be the only thing holding back a purchase at this point for me.
  7. akhenax

akhenax Well-Known Member

Really? Would you would choose an HTC Rezound over this phone because of a locked bootloader? Locked bootloader or not, I'm getting a new phone. My OG can't take much more. Refreshing ROMs only puts it on life support, but I'm about to pull the plug.
  8. sbenson

sbenson New Member

Probably not. My OG is very tired and the Nexus is looking sweeter and sweeter each day.

The Razr looks like a great phone, but with Verizon's bootloader policy, it might as well be an iPhone. I'll never have any interest in a Moto phone as long as Verizon holds them to this.
  9. NewAge

NewAge XOOM Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

I'd be willing to bet the bootloaders will ship locked. The owner can unlock if they choose to by using adb and fastboot to unlock. We will know soon and I doubt we will really know until someone tries. There will be a guide, and some adventurous soul may get a one click working, but its not worth it. Its very easy and you will have to restore using adb anyways so get comfy with it.
  10. sbenson

sbenson New Member

No doubt, previous Nexus devices shipped with locked bootloaders which were easily unlocked. The question is, did Verizon make Samsung/Google encrypt the bootloader a la Motorola?
  11. tgyberg

tgyberg Well-Known Member

There's no way it's VZW making Moto encrypt the bootloader. Moto is the only mfg that does it so I'm not sure why things would be any different. If this were the Moto Galaxy Nexus, then we'd have reason to sweat it!
  12. sbenson

sbenson New Member

When put on the spot, Moto officially blamed Verizon.
  13. BL4Z3D247

BL4Z3D247 New Member

I can't see Google allowing Verizon to lock it down hardcore like Motorola. Google knows if they did the Nexus brand will be tarnished as it wouldn't be a pure Google phone with a tightly locked bootloader. Google understands that users don't want to be told they can't do what they want to do with the phone they just paid for. That's like a car dealership saying you can't install an aftermarket system into the car you just paid for. I'm going to go and say if it's locked down there will be a way to unlock it easily. You just have to have faith in Google because I don't think we would be seeing a Nexus device on Verizon unless Verizon agreed to let Google do what they do best.
  14. NewAge

NewAge XOOM Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Verizon doesnt have the resources (thankgod) to encrypt bootloaders. They make the recomendations to the manufacturer. Encrypting a bootloader means its Locked. Nexus devices are GED Dev devices and therefor require the bootloader to be accessable. Every other VZW device has some sort of lock on the bootloader, except D1 and Xoom. Others may be unlocked via third party or HTC allows on some via web, but not ideal.
  15. Liderc

Liderc New Member

Locked or unlocked, this is the phone I want. I think we can all agree it's the only phone being released with the "whole package."

We're getting ICS from the start, which is a huge selling point personally, just having that new OS will feel very refreshing.

I agree that we should be worried, Verizon has never given us any reason not to, so hopefully it's unlocked, if not, we'll deal with it later.
  16. patmw123

patmw123 New Member

Yeah I think it is just a matter of Moto's security being better than the others. I really wouldn't worry too much about this phone being locked/encrypted like the moto phones. Just my opinion, but I feel like we are forgetting that this is a Nexus...
  17. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

The nexus is a development phone it has to be easily unlocked. Googe and vzw will release it like they do the other nexus phones. Like someone said above, it may ship locked but be easily unlock-able and ready to go.
  18. OriginalDroid

OriginalDroid New Member

The only thing regarding a lock and this phone should be the two year contract I lock myself into when I get it.

I don't think we'll have a problem with the bootloader, but I don't think we'll be able to avoid atleast a smidgen of bloatware, thankfully, one of ICS's new features is making that nasty stuff vanish. :D
  19. Detonation

Detonation New Member

The European version of the RAZR has an unlocked bootloader. It is locked in the US (Verizon) because Verizon specifically requested that it be, according to Moto.
Search tags for this page

decrypt xoom twrp

how to unlock encrypted bootloader

lg encrypted booloader

samsung galaxy s 5 encrypted locked bootloader