[BootAnimation] JRummy BA Ideas, got any???

canvs2321

Reaction score
Whoa that looks awesome, not a fan of the stock Droid x boot at the end tho.

Well since I'm not any good at editing the desc.txt file I build a lot of mine of the Droid Does red/blue shatter boot animation.

I can do my own images toward the end but the speed looks funky. Any suggestions would be great:)

Tap'n from DX while sit'n by a PC.

what's the problem with desc.txt where you say the speed looks funky?

you can set your own FPS(Frames per second), plus you can set how many parts you want

i think :p

but if you want you can just have one main part
and have it loop indefinitely

ie

480 854 20
p 0 0 part0

you can even make your own parts(folders)

in the bootanimation.zip you can have

firstphase/*.jpg||*.png
secondphase/*.jpg||*.png
insanephase/*.jpg||*.png
desc.txt

and in desc.txt have

480 854 20
p 1 0 firstphase
p 1 0 secondphase
p 0 0 insanephase

and it'll play firstphase once, then play secondphase once, and loop the final insanephase til phone boots

the main thing is just fool with the FPS(20 in the example)
and try to find a good setting.

if you only have 10images in each folder
you gotta think it's doing those 10images 2 times per second.

anywho, i'm buzzed and bored so this could all be jibberish :p

OP
chkmate

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
It only looks funky when I put the same amount of my picks in the part1 folder running at the same speed it was initially at for the original BA. Makes sense? Lol.

Ive read and read the desc out of the R2D2 bootanimation .zip and it still makes no sense to me. The only thing I've ever changed was the image size in the desc.

If you open up the blue shatter one I use it reads 480 845 210p 1 0 part0p 0 0 part1. All I understand from this 480 854 is the size of image. 210p, have no clue. 1 0 part0p, means it runs it first and once, but don't know what the p is for. And 0 0 part1 means it runs the part1 infinite till home screen.

canvs2321

Reaction score
It only looks funky when I put the same amount of my picks in the part1 folder running at the same speed it was initially at for the original BA. Makes sense? Lol.

Ive read and read the desc out of the R2D2 bootanimation .zip and it still makes no sense to me. The only thing I've ever changed was the image size in the desc.

If you open up the blue shatter one I use it reads 480 845 210p 1 0 part0p 0 0 part1. All I understand from this 480 854 is the size of image. 210p, have no clue. 1 0 part0p, means it runs it first and once, but don't know what the p is for. And 0 0 part1 means it runs the part1 infinite till home screen.

yeah, i know the bootanimation you are talking about.

I recently redid alot of those for my app, as 210 Is INSANE!
i have no idea why they did that!

i'm not even sure if the android bootanimation process
can do 210 frames per second!

210 is definitely an error or mistype!

and as far as the format

XXX(Width) XXX(Height) XX(Frames Per Second)
p(static variable) X(how many times played) X(pause after play) YYYY(foldername in bootanimation.zip)

^^ filled in

480 854 20
p 0 0 my_custom_folder_in_bootanimationzip_with_mah_imagez

anywho i think i heard the human eye can't
process over like 60-100 FPS
so 210 is made for aliens!
:p

let me know if i can demystify anything else!

480 854 20

********EDIT**************

and it seems you might be using windows Notepad to view the desc.txt

download Notepad++ as it'll read ASCII Files with only \n(new line)
as windows uses CRLF which is (\r\n(return\new line))

so you aren't reading 210p
you are reading
480 854 210p 1 0 part0 p 0 0 part1
where after 210 it's a newline to p 1 0 part0

Last edited:
OP
chkmate

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score

and as far as the format

p(static variable) X(how many times played) X(pause after play) YYYY(foldername in bootanimation.zip)

^^ filled in

480 854 20

480 854 20

you are reading

Well it may be insane, but it runs smooth. I used it for the longest time. Even if it is an error it worked for them. I see all the time people using 20-30 fps. So when I saw the 210, I was like, "this can't be."

So your saying I can change the 210 to what I want and mess with it for my liking?

Oh, and what exactly is static?

OP
chkmate

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was excited when I followed Army Dudes step by step for boot logo's by TBH and figured them out. Then being an artist all my life, when I broke down a boot animation and saw how it looked, I jumped right in.

Once I figure stuff out I'm a madman:icon_evil:. Don't know why I'm having issues with this, cause I am kinda computer savvy.

canvs2321

Reaction score

and as far as the format

^^ filled in

480 854 20

480 854 20

you are reading

Well it may be insane, but it runs smooth. I used it for the longest time. Even if it is an error it worked for them. I see all the time people using 20-30 fps. So when I saw the 210, I was like, "this can't be."

So your saying I can change the 210 to what I want and mess with it for my liking?

Oh, and what exactly is static?

yeah 210 should not be there!
i would max out@60

if i had more than 100 images to display

otherwise, start with 15 and go from there
just kinda do the math.

if it takes the phone once displaying the bootanimation
til lockscreen/homescreen takes maybe
10-15secs max.

then if you have it set to 15 frames per second
and you have 10 secs then that's 150 frames(images shown)
if you have 50 frames in one part(part0) that loops
you just have to decide how many times you want
that animations to been shown fully.

1-2 times would suffice so

480 854 10
to
480 854 20

just fool around with the FPS
but i wouldn't exceed 20 FPS unless
you have a very detailed/rapidly changing boot animation

OP
chkmate

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
You've been most helpful, thanks.

Mind if I PM you later if I have any further questions?

Thanks again!

canvs2321

Reaction score
yep, no problems
you are better off just emailing me

canvs2321 (at) gmail.com

just shoot me an email any time, i respond as soon as i can!

droidxchat

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to point out that the Droid x screen displays at 68hz, which means you'll never see more than 68 fps on it no matter what you do.

So why did the bozo's set it to 210? Their boot animation was created by a third party company using software that made it extraordinarily detailed, and because of that detail, when moto decompiled it into pngs, it had way too many images. They had to set it to 210 in order for it to run at the correct speed.

OP
chkmate

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wanted to point out that the Droid x screen displays at 68hz, which means you'll never see more than 68 fps on it no matter what you do.

So why did the bozo's set it to 210? Their boot animation was created by a third party company using software that made it extraordinarily detailed, and because of that detail, when moto decompiled it into pngs, it had way too many images. They had to set it to 210 in order for it to run at the correct speed.

Thank you:)

And that makes complete sense. I definitely need to get better software. My imagination and talent far exceeds my tools to do what I want. I was also wondering how the heck they were running 210 fps when it runs for 15 seconds and there were only like 230 frames combined in 2 folders.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Edit: The only weird thing is, the desc.txt file has worked in most of the boot animations I have made. I always used close to the same amount of pics in part0 and part1 as they did. 190 in one and 40 in the other. And the speed has only made mine act up in a couple that I made.

Last edited:

droidxchat

Reaction score
Edit: The only weird thing is, the desc.txt file has worked in most of the boot animations I have made. I always used close to the same amount of pics in part0 and part1 as they did. 190 in one and 40 in the other. And the speed has only made mine act up in a couple that I made.

What most likely happened is that your ratios were messed up (graphically). If you have an image sequence that looks like AB AB BC CD CD at 10 frames a sec, then you can make it AB AB AB AB BC BC CD CD CD CD at 20 frames a sec, thats twice the frames to compensate for twice the framerate. While you might have did that, you'll notice that BC is displayed for only half the time of the other frames in both scenarios, and so in this situation, even if you change your number of frames to match the original boot animation's, you'll be going through the sequence AB - BC - CD too quickly.

Last edited:
OP
chkmate

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the laid out description, that helps. I'm leaning due to all the help in here:)

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Apparently no one cares. That's ok, my feelers aren't hurt.

LOL. Don't feel bad dude. My first couple BAs were met with little intrigue. Once I started using vector images in Flash and put out some completely original stuff, then people were eating them up like hotcakes.
Sometimes, some people just don't care for the animation you made. Not saying it isn't good work, just that a lot of people don't think BAs are an important aspect of the phone. Which I respect.

Speaking of....I think it's about time I make a new one ;)