Boot Loop trouble. Need help ASAP

shaggykid

Reaction score
So here is my problem... I haven't flashed a new Rom in a while and decided to today.
Well I'm sure I have royally f'ed up.

Basically I tried flashing an update for CM7 when I wasn't currently using a CM Rom. (I believe it was a Liquid Rom I was running when I flashed the CM Update) Which resulted in me getting stuck in a boot loop. I got into recovery by holding power and home button. But it didn't load into clockwork mod, which I thought was weird.. So I can't just restore and old rom back-up like I usually would.
(The screen I see says Android system recovery at top, with reboot system now, apply update from sdcard, wiped data/factory reset, and wipe cache partition.)

I figured I needed to plug into my PC, load up my sdcard, and and put a rom.zip on to recover.... But... my card won't load up on the computer.

Now for my questions..

Can I just use my brothers phone and put my sd in and load a .zip onto it? If so maybe a tiny bit of guidance so I don't mess up anymore?
Is there an easier way to fix this problem?
Also could somebody suggest to me a Rom that they enjoy that they haven't had many problems with?

Thanks for all the help.

OP
S

shaggykid

Reaction score
Okay I found out how to get into the bootloader.(Hold both volume buttons and press power.) The right drivers are installed on my computer and I finally got it to successfully load my phone up.

And then, wouldn't ya know it. My battery is too low... >.< It doesn't seem to charge on a wall charger. It still just continually reboots and the charging light does not come on. But I've got it plugged into the computer for now.(Green light is on.) Hopefully in about 30 minutes I'll be able to actually sbf back to .602. I think that's the one I need to do. I rooted my phone before the .621 and never took the OTA.. but for some reason I wanna say I was on .605. Not sure if that matters?

Just need to know if I should use RSD Lite 5.7? I know someone out there can help. 100+ views and not a single reply.. :/ but I'm hopeful. I manage to work out mistakes before so I should be able to take care of this.

Any help at all is appreciated. For all I know I could be doing the completely wrong thing...

Savagerun

Reaction score
Edited....

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Last edited:

Savagerun

Reaction score
Your phone can not charge up in bootloader mode so borrow a battery or take it to verizon and ask them to charge it for you or buy one. Either way you need to get your battery charged before you go any further. You can sbf using the linux method it's quick and easy and after the sbf you'll get the option to root it's all built into one file. You can use the 4.5.602 iso or 605 iso either will be fine. There's a step by step video in the link also http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/d...-solution-your-windows-rsd-lite-problems.html

leftspin

Reaction score
You're gonna need to find someone else with a Droid X so you can use their battery or use their phone to charge yours because the battery won't charge in bootloader or recovery.

Did you wipe data/cache/dalvik before you tried to flash the new ROM? If not that's why you got the bootloop. If you did then you're probably on the wrong kernel and need to flash a different ROM (make sure you're using the CM7 for the .602/.605 kernel by RevNumbers). Either way flashing an SBF is the way to go at this point, so once you get a battery with enough charge go ahead and do that. The version of RSD that you have is fine.

OP
S

shaggykid

Reaction score
Ya I wiped data and all that. I think my issue was that I was running Liquid and I tried flashing a CM update.. Not sure why I did it. wasn't thinking straight. Ya I figured I wouldn't be able to charge the battery and sure enough after sleeping for 5 hours still no charge.

I won't be able to use the linux method so I'll stick with RSD Lite. I guess I'll just need to get a charged battery... Not sure where a Verizon store is around here.(Just moved out) But thanks for your help. I'll keep ya posted.

leftspin

Reaction score
Ya I wiped data and all that. I think my issue was that I was running Liquid and I tried flashing a CM update.. Not sure why I did it. wasn't thinking straight. Ya I figured I wouldn't be able to charge the battery and sure enough after sleeping for 5 hours still no charge.

I won't be able to use the linux method so I'll stick with RSD Lite. I guess I'll just need to get a charged battery... Not sure where a Verizon store is around here.(Just moved out) But thanks for your help. I'll keep ya posted.

Worst case scenario, they make battery chargers you can buy to charge the battery without the phone. It would probably be cheaper just to buy a battery if you're gonna resort to that though.

OP
S

shaggykid

Reaction score
Yep I went ahead and bought an extended battery. Which is what I wanted anyway.

Everything went smoothly and my phone is booted up. I can't begin to express how happy I am! I was kinda waiting for a call for a job interview so.. ya.

Is it safe to root from .605? If so what is the latest method?

OP
S

shaggykid

Reaction score
Okay ya I believe that's the method I used previously.

OP
S

shaggykid

Reaction score
Is there a way to revert from .621 yet? Or to root from? I'm debating on whether or not I should take the OTA

Savagerun

Reaction score
I wouldn't do it. There's really no benefit to doing it imo and no you can't revert once you do. You can root it but once on 621 you would need to do the milestone x 604 iso sbf then root using zergrush. Not worth it in my opinion. The link i gave you earlier should have the 604 iso sbf you would need to do.

OP
S

shaggykid

Reaction score
Okay well I'm not gonna take it. But it reminds me every hour that I have an update. If I fail to click "Later" will it auto update?

If so I need to get root access again like right now. Also is there a way to freeze update.apk after root without Titanium? I didn't purchase the full version and kinda can't right now.

Savagerun

Reaction score
It shouldn't update unless you let it but? Once you root you can freeze the updater, i use titanium backup pro but there might be something free you can use to freeze but i've never looked for one. Maybe try AntTek app in the market. You can also just root and flash a custom rom and then you won't have to worry about the update.

OP
S

shaggykid

Reaction score
Well I 've been rooted and custom romed since I bought this phone so I kinda wanna leave it stock root. I just want to be able to remove all the motoblur again and recover my apps from before.

I also had issues with CM7 with force closes, constant freezes, etc. And the same with Liquid and Liberty roms. And since I haven't been on stock rom except for my first boot, I figured I'll see how stable it is.