Boot loop, plz halp

Picnicpanther

Reaction score
Hey,

This is my first post. I followed all the install directions (this is the fourth custom rom I've installed), and this is my second time trying to install Liberty, and this is the second bootloop I've encountered. The yellow hand circle boot loader thing comes on screen for about 3 seconds, then goes back to a blank screen for about 10 seconds, and repeats. I started by wiping my data and cache, and I've wiped data and cache since this has happened (I can access the exclamation-point menu). What do?

OP
P

Picnicpanther

Reaction score
can someone tell me how to get back to clockwork recovery? I think I made a nandroid restore point but I'm using a mac and I'm not friends with anyone who uses a PC, so I can't do that Moto utility thing. Someone please get back to me soon, I have work calls I need to take!

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What recovery do u have installed? And for clockworkmod as well as other recoveries u can find an update.zip for them just flash that zip in ur recovery and reboot back into recovery and u'll see clockworkmod recovery. From what u described though it doesn't sound like ur out of luck though shouldn't have that bad a problem and u'll be fine I'll check back tomorrow when I'm on my laptop to give u further assitance but just google for clockworkmod recovery update.zip and then mount ur usb in ur recovery put it on ur sdcard and flash it from the recovery u do have then just reboot ur recovery and u'll be on clockworkmod

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
P

Picnicpanther

Reaction score
I don't know exactly what recovery I have, but I had Bootstrapper installed before the phone went kaput.

OP
P

Picnicpanther

Reaction score
OK, so I tried to go into the Bootloader, but it says it can't program on account of low battery; I left it plugged in (to the wall adapter) all night last night.

Reaction score
It doesn't tell you that after SBFing and installing the two-part ROM you have to wipe data/factory reset and clear cache. I was stuck in the boot loop for this same reason.

From phone off, hold home button, hold power button, should get you into CW. Then do the data wipe/factory reset/cache clear (I don't remember exactly what they say but there are two options and you need to do both) and you should be ok.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I would say don't sbf yet doesn't sound like your problem is that bad especially if you can get in recovery but you said you had an excelmation mark in recovery so it sounds like the stock one or sprecovery i think has one as well on top of an android. If you have sp recovery then you're very well off as well just install this zip if you want clockworkmod recovery

[RELEASE][06/01/2011] ClockworkMod Recovery - current version - 3.0.0.5 - xda-developers

There are zips and img there then just restore your backup

OP
P

Picnicpanther

Reaction score
Alright, I can't get my phone to show up on my computer when I plug it in to the USB port, even when I go to the Bootloader and the Android System Recovery.

Rezael

Reaction score
If your battery is low you wont be able to flash or do anything without a working OS. You can't even charge the battery. I had this issue where I was bootlooping and my battery died. I had to take my phone to Verizon and had one of their sales people charge my battery with their DROID x. And then I was able to sbf and get my phone up n running again.
Goodluck.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well it doesn't show up on your computer unless you mount your usb mass storage but yea you will need to get a charge to do anything there are some recoveries out there that will let you charge but if you don't have one currently then you can't flash one or really do anything so you're going to need to get your battery charged up a bit before doing anything

OP
P

Picnicpanther

Reaction score
Well, the Verizon store just informed me that since the X2 has come out, they don't have any spare Xs with which to charge my phone, and I don't know anyone who has an X. I think I've hit a wall.

Rezael

Reaction score
They are lying. Try again tomorrow. They don't want to help. Try your mall those sales people are more inclined to help. Or another local Verizon store. Worst case scenario u can overnight me ur battery. Ill charge it and ship it back at your expense.

Btw look at the employees phones on their belt loops someone in there had to have a DROID x
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
P

Picnicpanther

Reaction score
I just thought of something: it won't go into the bootloader, but it will go into the exclamation menu where I can do the update.zip, wipe/factory reset, and wipe cache. If I can get a mini-sd adapter and put a file on that, would I be able to do something from that menu?

OP
P

Picnicpanther

Reaction score
I did, and I'm doing it again as we speak. I assume you mean from the Android System Recovery, which I just call the "exclamation menu" cause I'm a noob. I've tried doing the wipe data/Factory reset option about 3 times now, which doesn't seem to help the situation at all. I've also done the wipe cache partition as many times, but with no results. It still just goes back to the yellow Liberty insignia and then continues the boot loop.