Boot Loop After Rebooting?

IFeelYourPain

Reaction score
My GNex is boot looping, and all I did last was install the tasker app. I can't figure it out, it was working fine all night, then when I switched batteries, bootloop. I even tried to switch back with no luck just for kicks lol.

I can get into Clockwork recovery, but it will not let me access my internal data, I never could and its the one thing about Gnex that bugs me... Actually it pisses me off, because even when the phone is on and I tried to backup my phone, sometimes the transfer fails or stops!
I really don't want to format my phone I want my data back at least before I do a wipe. I did a backup in CWM but again mounting data, even usb mount won't work. Clockwork Recovery 5.5.0.4.

Any advice?

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
My GNex is boot looping, and all I did last was install the tasker app. I can't figure it out, it was working fine all night, then when I switched batteries, bootloop. I even tried to switch back with no luck just for kicks lol.

I can get into Clockwork recovery, but it will not let me access my internal data, I never could and its the one thing about Gnex that bugs me... Actually it pisses me off, because even when the phone is on and I tried to backup my phone, sometimes the transfer fails or stops!
I really don't want to format my phone I want my data back at least before I do a wipe. I did a backup in CWM but again mounting data, even usb mount won't work. Clockwork Recovery 5.5.0.4.

Any advice?

Have you tried just clearing cache and rebooting? You won't lose data this way, and sometimes it can work.

There are some other things you can do/try:

Do you have Titanium Backup, as in the full version? If so make a backup in recovery (or since you already have proceed on), then perform a factory reset. Reboot the phone hopefully this should get you back into Android. If so, redownload Titanium Backup there is an option to extract data from a nandroid. You may be ok restoring system data since you are on the same ROM, but I would still be careful. Also, you may end up restoring whatever caused your problem to begin with.

The way I tinker with things on my phone, including transferring and deleting stuff is through ADB even while in recovery. You should be able to push/pull anything to or from the device from recovery. You can evenuse a GUI, and not using command line (requires an app to be installed on your computer and adb to be setup properly). I can go more in depth with all of this if you want/need me to for this route.

OP
I

IFeelYourPain

Reaction score
Have you tried just clearing cache and rebooting? You won't lose data this way, and sometimes it can work.

There are some other things you can do/try:

Do you have Titanium Backup, as in the full version? If so make a backup in recovery (or since you already have proceed on), then perform a factory reset. Reboot the phone hopefully this should get you back into Android. If so, redownload Titanium Backup there is an option to extract data from a nandroid. You may be ok restoring system data since you are on the same ROM, but I would still be careful. Also, you may end up restoring whatever caused your problem to begin with.

The way I tinker with things on my phone, including transferring and deleting stuff is through ADB even while in recovery. You should be able to push/pull anything to or from the device from recovery. You can evenuse a GUI, and not using command line (requires an app to be installed on your computer and adb to be setup properly). I can go more in depth with all of this if you want/need me to for this route.
No Titanium Backup Pro. How do I do the adb I have everything installed for ADB on my computer?

Also anyway to just get into usb mode in clockwork? Nothing will mount...

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
USB mode doesn't really work in recovery, at least I never got it to work (to be honest I didn't put much effort into it, since ADB works for me).

When you say nothing will mount, what do you mean? Does data change to unmount in recovery (I forget the wording)?

*E2A* Perhaps try a different recovery? http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/89 <-- folks seem to love that Which can be flashed in fastboot (I can go into details with this too). You need to get the /data partition to mount somehow. I have heard folks having trouble with CWM, I am using the unofficial touch version and haven't had trouble.

*Edit2* I may be out for an hour or so, so if I don't respond this is why.

Last edited:
OP
I

IFeelYourPain

Reaction score
How can I update to touch version on Verizon GNex? Mounting Data wont work for me, but QTADB (google searched it) so far is. Still would like info on touch cwm

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
[VZW][Guide] Rootz Wiki's List of ROMs / Kernels / Tweaks / Theme's / Radios - Galaxy Nexus - RootzWiki <-- all of the custom recoveries are linked there (need to scroll down a bit). There are numerous other ways to flash a new recovery as well, but unless you have access to your internal storage or able to boot into Android those aren't much use for you, so in your case you will need to use fastboot to get it on.

General instructions to achieve this :
1 - Reboot into bootloader/fastboot (volume up, volume down and power all held while powering the device on)
2 - Download the recovery of your choice.
3 - Open a command prompt on your PC and cd to wherever the recovery you downloaded is located
4 - type fastboot flash recovery *recovery-name*.img where you replace *recovery-name* with the name of the file
5 - Use the volume keys to select recovery mode.

*E2A* It may be possible to flash via http://www.droidforums.net/forum/galaxy-nexus-development/192031-wugs-galaxy-nexus-root-toolkit.html I am not too sure though, as I am a fan of doing things manually.

Edit 2 Something else I just thought of, is that you could possibly use some adb commands to remount the partitions manually. I am not sure if they would work, and I would have to look up the documentation on how to achieve this, but this is another possibility.

Also, gonna be away from the computer a while again, so I may not respond for a while.

Last edited: