Boot animations with sound now working on Gingerbread!!

benbrown

Reaction score
Thank you very much for that, Ben. I have since switched back to CM7 (gingerbread) and have not tried to change the bootanimation as of yet. This is a fresh install, because I wanted to start from scratch. Shall I follow the original directions that came with this post, or go with the froyo directions you just submitted?

If you are running GB put your bootanimation.zip file in data/local.
Put your sound file in system/media/audio/notifications.
Make sure the desc.txt refers to the sound file you have in system/media/audio/notifications and add the spaces as posted above.
Also when zipping up the animation file make sure you use no compression.
If you do all of this you shouldn't have any problems. Good luck!

Leaving a trail....one post at a time

OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
Thank you very much for that, Ben. I have since switched back to CM7 (gingerbread) and have not tried to change the bootanimation as of yet. This is a fresh install, because I wanted to start from scratch. Shall I follow the original directions that came with this post, or go with the froyo directions you just submitted?

Do not use the froyo file. Just use the gingerbread.. Try applying the update.zip I made, then, with root explorer or file manager of choice, navigate to data/local and either erase or rename "bootanimation.zip"

Sent from my DROIDX

benbrown

Reaction score

Do not use the froyo file. Just use the gingerbread.. Try applying the update.zip I made, then, with root explorer or file manager of choice, navigate to data/local and either erase or rename "bootanimation.zip"

Sent from my DROIDX

No need to update or delete anything. If the zip file is placed in data/local the system will see that one first. Maybe move the original to your sd card in case you want to save it...

ShdwWolf

Reaction score
At this point: I have a copy of the bootanimation.zip in the /data/local/ and /system/media/ folders. The android.mp3 file is in the /system/media/audio/notifications/ folder. I ran the boondockgingerbread.zip file under clockwork, the process lasting about a half of a second; no sound upon reboot. I ran the boot-sound-enabler-cw.zip through clockwork, no sound upon reboot. At this point I'm going to go out on a limb and say CM7 7.0.2.1 does NOT support audio during the boot animation and am giving up. Thank you Casen and ben for all your help trying to walk me through this.

mattmartin77

Reaction score
At this point: I have a copy of the bootanimation.zip in the /data/local/ and /system/media/ folders. The android.mp3 file is in the /system/media/audio/notifications/ folder. I ran the boondockgingerbread.zip file under clockwork, the process lasting about a half of a second; no sound upon reboot. I ran the boot-sound-enabler-cw.zip through clockwork, no sound upon reboot. At this point I'm going to go out on a limb and say CM7 7.0.2.1 does NOT support audio during the boot animation and am giving up. Thank you Casen and ben for all your help trying to walk me through this.

sound file needs to be in /system/media

dont put it into any further folders, and make sure that in the bootanimation.zip, the desc.txt file has a line to actually play the sound.

benbrown

Reaction score

Did you check the desc.txt file which is in the bootanimation.zip file? Post that bootanimation.zip file somewhere so I can get a hold of it. I'll check it out myself...make sure it works for you....and you are absolutely positive you have Gingerbread on your phone?

ShdwWolf

Reaction score
When I go into phone settings, it gives me an Android version of 2.3.3. Unless the Cyanogenmod team is just throwing that number in there, I have to assume this is Gingerbread. I have all the features I've seen in Gingerbread screenshots, so I'm convinced. I tried your suggestion and still nothing. Here are the contents of desc.txt, hope it helps.

480 360 26

p 1 0 part0
s android.mp3

p 0 0 part1

Last edited:
OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score

sound file needs to be in /system/media

dont put it into any further folders, and make sure that in the bootanimation.zip, the desc.txt file has a line to actually play the sound.
Gingerbread looks for sound in /system/media/audio/notifications

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
When I go into phone settings, it gives me an Android version of 2.3.3. Unless the Cyanogenmod team is just throwing that number in there, I have to assume this is Gingerbread. I have all the features I've seen in Gingerbread screenshots, so I'm convinced. I tried your suggestion and still nothing. Here are the contents of desc.txt, hope it helps.

480 360 26

p 1 0 part0
s android.mp3

p 0 0 part1

Hey, go to system/bin and COPY the bootanimation file there, then upload it please. Ill side what I can do

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
Sure thing. Just take the .zip off, it's not the actual bootanimation.zip file. In the meantime I found this article:
[MOD] Enable Custom Boot Sounds - CyanogenMod Forum
on CM forums...now I have sound, but no animation! I can't win! :)

Hmm, sound on CM7 is in fact in system/media...

Ok, try exracting the audio.mp3 in my update, and place it in system/media. Then do the same thing for the bootanimation.zip (leaving it zipped), and then renaming/erasing the one in data/local

Sent from my DROIDX

benbrown

Reaction score
I can just tried to download both the desc.txt and the bootanimation.zip you posted and neither of them will open....maybe your problem is there. What in the heck is CM7 anyway....some funky build of Gingerbread?

OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
I can just tried to download both the desc.txt and the bootanimation.zip you posted and neither of them will open....maybe your problem is there. What in the heck is CM7 anyway....some funky build of Gingerbread?

Don't worry about the recent posts, those are me trouble shooting with somebody.
Download from the OP.

Also CM7 is a complete custom rom with a new kernel and everything for phones with unlocked bootloaders.its Cyanogen Mod 7. And I wish it was on my X.

Sent from my DROIDX

ShdwWolf

Reaction score
I don't know if this means anything, but I went in to terminal emulator and tried running the bootanimation command in /system/bin, and it came up with some funky thing about not being able to find the executable. Now I'm into Windows system administration by trade; logic makes me ask, could the file association have been knocked out somehow?

OP
Casen

Casen

Reaction score
I don't know if this means anything, but I went in to terminal emulator and tried running the bootanimation command in /system/bin, and it came up with some funky thing about not being able to find the executable. Now I'm into Windows system administration by trade; logic makes me ask, could the file association have been knocked out somehow?

I don't know much about that process.

Sent from my DROIDX