Boot Animations from Animated GIFS

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by Shibbey, Sep 15, 2010.

1. IcyStorm

IcyStorm New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So... the maximum size for these boot animation images are 480x845 (according to Mbk's earlier post)? Would smaller images cause any distortion or resizing or stretching?

Is there a limit to the length of the boot animations?

2. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Smaller images resized up would certainly lose image quality. Distortion would come if the aspect ratio of the image is changed...for instance if you had an image that was 480 480, and you resized that to 480 by 800 .....

Maximum length isn't really limited, but the more images there are the more chance of sluggish animation or most of the images not playing by the time your Droid boots up....especially on a part0 of a two part BA

3. IcyStorm

IcyStorm New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I was asking if I used smaller images, would Android automatically enlarge it or anything like that?

4. Mbk

Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah you can do that by setting the size larger in your desc.txt file......but doesn't always work right, especially if you have differing sizes or images are too small....but usually you can cammond it from that file.
    It's just probably better though to use a image editor resize, but not absolutely a must...

5. Shibbey

Shibbey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The smaller one may be a bit on the small side, but could work out nice. Hard to tell till I give it a shot.
    The larger one would work just fine, but without any movement to it. I do not have the time nor the experience to begin adding effects for the nice animation part of it. If you want it as a still image boot up, then it would work just fine.

6. Shibbey

Shibbey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry all for being away..school, kids, and work have me beat down some.

Mbk, finally checked out your Dragon boot... nice job. I gotta say, I was concerned about having a seizure there for a sec! LOL

7. HarleyDad09

HarleyDad09 Member

Ratings:
    +0

MBK, what programs do u use to make ur themes..i am interested in doing something like that..making a theme and porting from rom to rom..but I have no clue where to begin!

Also, if I were to give u a video of my daughter, could u make that a boot animation?

8. Mbk

Ratings:
    +4
    I created mine just by extracting PNGs from different themes and APKs, creating some of my own PNGs, swapping out some APKs altogether, changing some hex color codes (which is basically unecessary now with UD since he has a settings menu for that, ...then ported them by pulling a new ROMs framework-res.apk and a few other APKs, and then basically swapped all of these into that ROM.
    I have yet to try and create a completely self created theme from scratch, I usually admire many of the things already put out by a 'Pro' themers and merely 'Kang' :p:D many of their PNGs, icons, or ideas...:)

9. Mbk

Ratings:
    +4
    BTW HarleyDad... I have been entertaining the idea of perhaps taking one of the next ROMs (most likely UltimateDroid v9.0) I load and creating my own DragonDroid theme for it... not sure if I want to put in the time though, maybe.... I just tinkered with what I have currently and it's much easier to port what I have already than to try and create one from scratch as many of the talented Themers here do...
    Anyways, here's a simple look at what can be done to change the appearance of certain things...which is basically what theming really is...

Attached Files:

10. HarleyDad09

HarleyDad09 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sweet, I'm stoked for UD 9.0...any word on when Black is dropping that bad boy???

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

11. Mbk

Ratings:
    +4
    It was supose to be a couple nights ago, but looks like it's been delayed.........maybe tonite.

On a side note... if you want to try and theme on your own, I was trying to hint to you that you can easily do most of it by merely extracting the ROMs framework-res.apk....altering whatever images you want in the res/drawable-hdpi folder and zipping it back up, renaming it to the apk file extension, and copying it back to the phone...overwriting the framework-res.apk that's currently on your phone.

Simply extracting, and copying & pasting is much easier that using ADB to pull and push those APKs, it's essentially the same thing kind of....APKManager does the same thing almost but it just complicates a very simple process IMHO.... editing XMLs becomes more involved, but you could kinda control a themes color schematic by creating most of you images in that specific color.

I really woudln't recommend to you to download the Android SDK, Eclipse, APKManager & ADB just to try and change your current ROMs theme..... just changing out your images is the fastest and easiest...

12. sparty569

sparty569 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone likes Michigan State...and who doesnt after this past weekends game vs. Notre Dame...here is a really basic, semi choppy MSU boot animation.

I have been using it since I figured out how to create my own earlier this year and have been to lazy/havent had enough time to make a nicer one.

Attached Files:

13. HarleyDad09

HarleyDad09 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    how exactly do u make a boot animation? I want to make one..is it tough? I have no coding experience!

14. Mbk

Ratings:
    +4
  15. Shibbey

Shibbey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a basic guide on Droid Life.

And a more detailed explanation of the des.txt file is here.

When zipping the file, make sure your compression ratio is "store".

Good way to start in your own mods of a droid. About the easiest mod to do with least chance of messing it up!

BTW, I am about to start working on a few boot logos (not animations) using the HD bard and shield emblem! :)

Search tags for this page
android animated gif
android boot animation gif
android gif
android.gif
blue gifs
boot animation gif

boot animations

bootanimation

gif boot animation
gif to boot animation