boot animation mess up

Reaction score
Hello all I did something dumb. I was playing around with J Rummy's Root Tools and with a slip of the finger I accidentally changed my boot animation. No big deal if I had already made a backup, but I hadn't yet. I would like to have my stock animation back so I can make my backup. Can I use the Razr Utility to get it back? Still on .173, never took the update. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my rooted DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Hello all I did something dumb. I was playing around with J Rummy's Root Tools and with a slip of the finger I accidentally changed my boot animation. No big deal if I had already made a backup, but I hadn't yet. I would like to have my stock animation back so I can make my backup. Can I use the Razr Utility to get it back? Still on .173, never took the update. Thanks in advance.

Yes you can use the utility to reinstall .173. I think it is utility version 1.51 or earlier, not sure if the latest version, 1.6 has .173 or not. At any rate, I recommend you go ahead and use the latest version (above sticky) and move to .181. The ICS OTA update will be coming in a couple of weeks and if you're still on .173 you will not be able to receive it until you update to .181.

OP
mikelikesbikes
Reaction score
I thought there wasn't a root method for .181 yet. I've read of people using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper with mixed results. Is using the Razr Utility to flash back to .173 essentially like an SBF? I came from the D2 recently which had tons of support. I hope the Razr has as much. I've only had my Razr about a week and a half now, and I don't know it as well as my D2.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I thought there wasn't a root method for .181 yet. I've read of people using Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper with mixed results. Is using the Razr Utility to flash back to .173 essentially like an SBF? I came from the D2 recently which had tons of support. I hope the Razr has as much. I've only had my Razr about a week and a half now, and I don't know it as well as my D2.

There is a root method for .181...Matt G.'s Utility found in the sticky above. I've tried Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper with mixed results so I don't rely on it anymore. Using the utility is essentially like an sbf but using fastboot and fastboot files, there are no sbf files for the razr, only fastboot files. Again, there is no advantage to going to .173 unless you want to flash a ROM that will only run on .173. .181 is the latest OTA update and Matt's utility will root .181. Like I said, if you go back to .173 you're going to have to update to .181 to get the upcoming OTA update which is probably ICS release (hopefully anyway).

OP
mikelikesbikes
Reaction score
OK to take the update I just unroot and check for updates in settings correct? I will double check which version of the utility I have. I haven't flashed a ROM on my Razr yet. Do you have any to recommend? I got my stock boot animation back using ROM Toolbox and made my backups so I am good there. I just need to learn Safestrap like I know Bootstrap.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
OK to take the update I just unroot and check for updates in settings correct? I will double check which version of the utility I have. I haven't flashed a ROM on my Razr yet. Do you have any to recommend? I got my stock boot animation back using ROM Toolbox and made my backups so I am good there. I just need to learn Safestrap like I know Bootstrap.

Yeah, menu>settings>about phone. If you have any frozen apps you need to unfreeze them first. Go to DroidRzr.com, you'll find quite a few ROMs there for the Razr. I ran Eclipse for awhile then went back to stock. If you decide to try one of the ICS leaks do not try .84 or .85...they will get you stuck there and no hope of recovering back to GB at this time. Just make sure whatever ROM you decide to try is compatible with .181.

OP
mikelikesbikes
Reaction score
DL'ing Droid Razr Utility ver. 1.6 now. Just to be clear, I can use this version to root .181 when I take it, just with the root option? Or is there something else I have to do? I have 1.51 and haven't even used it yet.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
DL'ing Droid Razr Utility ver. 1.6 now. Just to be clear, I can use this version to root .181 when I take it, just with the root option? Or is there something else I have to do? I have 1.51 and haven't even used it yet.

Yes. You can also load .181 onto your phone instead of doing the "check for updates" on the phone.