Book App/Text Reader App

poooookah78

Reaction score
I do quite a bit of traveling and while I love reading, I don't have the space/patience/logistical chance to carry a lot of books with me. I'm just curious as to whether there is a book downloader which also might read the text to you? Sort of like a books on tape app? I know this sounds lazy, but it's a dream come true if it exists!....

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

GerryG35

Reaction score
I have had good luck with Aldiko. It's free and available in the Market. There are tons of free books although most are older, classic titles. I haven't had time to investigate pricing for more current titles but the app is very easy to use and has a great user interface. The text is readable and there are multiple ways to turn pages.

pyro6128

Reaction score
+1 on aldiko. And you can download calibre for your computer to convert any other ebooks or files you have to the epub format so you can view them in aldiko too

GerryG35

Reaction score
+1 on aldiko. And you can download calibre for your computer to convert any other ebooks or files you have to the epub format so you can view them in aldiko too

I tried using Calibre to convert the Droid user manual but it didn't produce a usable file. The app is nice but the manual has non-standard pages and is full of graphics so I don't think that was a fair test.

Anyone have a positive Calibre story?

pyro6128

Reaction score
I've used it with some success. I had a book that was in a word file and converted it, but it also only had one graphic. I tried with a pdf though and while it did work, the formatting was all off. Still trying to figure out how to mess with it and get it to work properly all the time. Haven't tried it with other ebooks though.

solar

Reaction score
I like eReaderPro myself. Its not in the market yet. You can go to www.ereader.com to download the android app. You just have to make sure you temporarily allow non-market apps to be installed before you do the install. Its free, however the books are not, but its works very well so far. I used to use the Windows mobile version of the back in the day and its was great as well. Its doesn't do voice, its just a standard "use your eyes" type of reader, lol. ;)