Book App/Text Reader App

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by poooookah78, Feb 25, 2010.

1. poooookah78

poooookah78 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I do quite a bit of traveling and while I love reading, I don't have the space/patience/logistical chance to carry a lot of books with me. I'm just curious as to whether there is a book downloader which also might read the text to you? Sort of like a books on tape app? I know this sounds lazy, but it's a dream come true if it exists!....

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!

2. poooookah78

poooookah78 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Shameless bump right here...................

3. GerryG35

GerryG35 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have had good luck with Aldiko. It's free and available in the Market. There are tons of free books although most are older, classic titles. I haven't had time to investigate pricing for more current titles but the app is very easy to use and has a great user interface. The text is readable and there are multiple ways to turn pages.

4. pyro6128

pyro6128 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +8
    +1 on aldiko. And you can download calibre for your computer to convert any other ebooks or files you have to the epub format so you can view them in aldiko too

5. GerryG35

GerryG35 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried using Calibre to convert the Droid user manual but it didn't produce a usable file. The app is nice but the manual has non-standard pages and is full of graphics so I don't think that was a fair test.

Anyone have a positive Calibre story?

6. pyro6128

pyro6128 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I've used it with some success. I had a book that was in a word file and converted it, but it also only had one graphic. I tried with a pdf though and while it did work, the formatting was all off. Still trying to figure out how to mess with it and get it to work properly all the time. Haven't tried it with other ebooks though.

7. solar

solar Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I like eReaderPro myself. Its not in the market yet. You can go to www.ereader.com to download the android app. You just have to make sure you temporarily allow non-market apps to be installed before you do the install. Its free, however the books are not, but its works very well so far. I used to use the Windows mobile version of the back in the day and its was great as well. Its doesn't do voice, its just a standard "use your eyes" type of reader, lol. ;)

Search tags for this page

android text reader

best text readers for droids]